aaa New Tracks - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: New Tracks

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             07-Jul-10  @  01:44 AM   -   New Tracks

NastyM

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I know none of this material is really dance but if anyone has a mo' i'd appreciate a comment or two - have been messing around with newer software and computer - my whole setup appears a little alien to me, and was wondering if things are sounding any more fluent - i think i've managed to tidy my latency issues up and things should flow better now without having to resort to the heavy hand of quantizing as radically as previous. cheers to anyone who might spare a little time.
Martyn
Sorry for the poor grammar and spelling - should stick to maths and physics really.
M

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             07-Jul-10  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: New Tracks

k

Link?: Link

yeah sounds ok mate, is that u freestylin? you can actualy play keyboards then if so...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/8             07-Jul-10  @  04:47 PM   -   RE: New Tracks

NastyM

...if so?

Message 4/8             07-Jul-10  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: New Tracks

sitar

Listened to "Acoustic 2". Very nice track. What I really like, which I would, comes toward the end with
the overdriven/distortion bass and the voice. The types of sounds I liked about Underworld.

Listened to "Take 5 Divide by 4". I thought it was very well done and you can dance to the later part.

Acoustic quality seems all around good.

I haven't been in this section of the forums for years. I thought I'd poke around a bit to get a break
from the crickets in the The Lounge. Actually, the way I look at it is the lounge is a place I can go to
talk to myself which is nice except when every now and again one of you blokes sticks your head in
and interrupts.

Very nice stuff man.

Message 5/8             08-Jul-10  @  01:22 AM   -   RE: New Tracks

NastyM

Acoustic 2 on review has very confused guitar and keys part way through ??? two competing themes neither gel nor disrupt, but dont really seam to work.
Take 5 ... drags on a fair bit - keys disjointed and lack smoothness, organ towards end lacks presence
these are just a few comments i`d make let alone to mention that the material lacks any real direction, structure or hooks - would appreciate real "gloves off" comments i know its sub - standard but as long as i get backpatting i`m really never gonna be able to progress.
i really do appreciate the comment i usely get but by the hell my shoulders are broad and i can take a little more destructive critique - i feel ive progressed sufficient but nowhere near sufficient to be proud - get the claws out lads.
Also seems no-one as ever really questioned the mix / production is it ok?
Know its a lot to ask but if i don`t ask i`ll never really know and remain static with NastyM
ps Sitar sorry to disturb youre ramblings but i kinda like your absolute mentalness and feel completely obliged to join in!
pps Gettin a dog for the wife and kids "miniature poodle" wtf - see what i mean about broad shoulders, i`ve got to walk the poodle (and thats not a euphamism)

Message 6/8             08-Jul-10  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: New Tracks

sitar

Here's my problem with criticizing tracks. One is that I still don't have the technical proficiency to give
any valid mixing and mastering suggestions. Your tracks sounded clean to me and instrumental
separation sounded good. Whether or not it's the mix you're going for I can't guess.

I did hear the competing themes in Acoustic 2 but then I've listened to Schoenberg. I never had a
taste for Schoenberg but I know what he did musically was intentional. I loved John Coltrane's
"Meditations" and "Interstellar Space", and Ornette Coleman's "Free Jazz" which were intentionally
disharmonious but they were visceral and demonstrated a spontaneity of highly skilled musicians. I
never found Schoenberg to be visceral. It seemed more intellectual to me. If your competing themes
are unintentional then yes, you should redo at least one of them and perhaps get a little more music
theory under your belt.

I'll listen again in the next couple of days. I have some people coming over soon today.

Message 7/8             08-Jul-10  @  01:39 PM   -   RE: New Tracks

NastyM

the mix is what it ends up at - i try to keep it clean as a rule - i just dont fully understand all the tech bits myself i generally twiddle nobs and listen, quite often a mix sounds quite different on different speaker / amp setups so i twiddle and adjust levels etc until i reach a mix that sounds fairly consistent irrespective of what i play it on. not quite sure if its the right approach but it seems ok to me - i also seem to mix each track independantly, again not sure if this is the best way.

With regard to composition i only realized how much the theme conflicts after i had posted it and to be honest its close but not close enough and has the result of at first play through appearing to pass but on closer inspection it really begins to grate and annoy - i never write any of the music down and just generally play - quantize or mess about with the midi and bounce to audio. once ive committed myself im left with little choice but to play along by ear. not a forte of mine i read music and understand basic theorey but never seem to afford myself the luxury of checking the finer detail due to viewing wave files on the pc as oppose to manuscript - in essence my biggest problem or hurdle is time and idleness - i should just hold back a little, listen through and think a little more before just issuing buckets of shit after buckets of shit.

A day or two longer on my last ditty would have probably resulted in a chance of ironing out the issue of the conflicting melody one way or another (either harmonizing or charging off at right angles toward a different track.) I think ultimately im way to hastey and lazy, maybe i shouldnt expect somebody else to answer all my queries and issues and just sort them out myself, but then again i have never really had a great reserve of patience and must use it sparingly - you never know when it will run dry.

(big sigh after a lang rant) Martyn.

Message 8/8             08-Jul-10  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: New Tracks

sitar

From what I've heard listening on different systems is a good thing and those Yamaha speakers are,
or least were, the standard for judging a mix...the crappy Yamahas with the white in the center of
their cones. You probably know that. "If it sounds good on those it will sound good on anything" was
the common consensus.

I studied music theory and composition intensively. What I found is that knowing the rules of 16th or
17th century counterpoint and harmony laid the ground for breaking those rules in a way that
sounded like it was meant to be but we've come a long way musically and oftentimes anything goes
and anything can work depending on what the listeners ear has become accustomed to. Still, songs
by artists like Lady Gaga rely heavily on harmonies which were established centuries ago. I'm sure
Bach certain Bach, were he alive today, would be watching her vids on youtube. Imagine his
wife..."Johann! What in god's name are you listening to in there? It better not be that lady blah blah
female again! You've got church music to write! That female isn't going to put our 20 kids through
school and you know what I think of her anyway!" :P

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)