aaa My mackie sr 24-4 is dying - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: My mackie sr 24-4 is dying

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             04-Sep-10  @  01:29 PM   -   RE: My mackie sr 24-4 is dying

Malcolm Jeffery

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Its on its way out, keeps losing the right channel, have to ramp up gain on that channel to get it going, to exspensive to mend as these boards are budget in the fact that inside its all on one or two 2 huge pcbs and i know that they just replace a whole board which would be hundreds of pounds.

Its only used as a volume control any way, but its always good to be able to have a mic on a channel with ok control, also xbox has a channel, and i do have synths yes real ones and channels and faders are great, but money hmmm dictates perhaps something like a mackie big knob monitor controller with multi ins and outs, still not sure how a mic would work through that, dont wont to connect directly to my m audio fire wire 410 as its not right big heavy cable little silver box, would have to superglue interface to table to  stop it moving plus i think quality via my desk was better than m audios preamps.

Or may be just a real tiny mackie mixer, iam getting great quality straight outa logic any way and into my lovely dynaudio BM6A'S.

Ho hum damn this game costs us money dont it, new mac mixer dies.

Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             05-Sep-10  @  05:12 PM   -   RE: My mackie sr 24-4 is dying

k

you mean the right master channel? maybe it's just the master fader on it's way out? that should be replaceable quite easily shouldn't it?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/10             06-Sep-10  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: My mackie sr 24-4 is dying

Malcolm Jeffery

Not sure K, if i press a solo button things go wonky even further and switch channels ie  the left dont work in solo?? someteimes nothing in solo, its been in my hands for a well used 10-12 years and it was bought second hand in near mint condition for 600 quid they where 1500 new and until now its been fine,
its just that ive heard once they start to go its a sign that other stuff will go as well maybe, where do u get mackie mixers serviced in England, its also one of those faults that sometimes dosent manifest for a few days.

Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 4/10             06-Sep-10  @  01:23 PM   -   RE: My mackie sr 24-4 is dying

k

ah u got  mac! which one? 

yeah tuff call with the mackie cos things can cost more to fix that replace with a cheapie. There's places down here in London which'll diagnose (and fix if possible) for a minimum price, and if they need to spend more they tell you. Best case being they fix it, worst case being the minimum is wasted cos they cant fix it for that minimum but at least you know what the problem is & then have to decide whether to spend more and get it done.

i dunno. i got one of those cheap behringers which tbh is fine while not being anything special, but it never gets much use. things are just routed thru it and thats it

does it switch dud master l/r channel when u solo all the channel strips? if solo-ing isnt important, can u use a spare bus as the master l/r?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/10             06-Sep-10  @  01:39 PM   -   RE: My mackie sr 24-4 is dying

Malcolm Jeffery

File?:  [image]

[image file]

eh the Title says Mackie sr24=4 mixer,sorry not being rude
all channels mono, stereo, busses,groups all suffer from no channel when the fault is occuring  

Message 6/10             07-Sep-10  @  01:25 PM   -   RE: My mackie sr 24-4 is dying

k

no i meant you said u had a mac.. i was asking which mac u got?

well if it's doing it on groups too it sounds bad. all ican suggest is contact mackie uk and see if they do a repair service, or seek out a local techie; but as u say, is it worth it?

if it's just for routing convenience, as i say those behringers are actualy ok. I'm not sure how much i'd trust one for hard commercial local pa work, but to sit in a studio not being used much they seem ok. eq is smooth and good, pre's are surprisingly good for such a cheapie

i'm talking about on the sx2442fx btw, but those same pre's and eq appear on many of their smaller boards  - it's the Xenyx pre-amps

Message 7/10             07-Sep-10  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: My mackie sr 24-4 is dying

Malcolm Jeffery

In another thread i mentioned i had a mac pro quad nehelem 2.66 ghz with 6 hard drives lol but only 3 gig ram, to be honest though it runs so many soft synths and reverbs and eqs live that memory is only needed for samples and so far no probs, iam sure ill find the wall at some point, then get more ram but, they dont make it easy saying only have ram in sets of 3 matched sticks and to use 4th slot or not, for me might just stick 2 gig in 4th slot, i mean what cretins build a machine with 4 slots and say the cpu runs faster with only 3 slots filled ffs, even worse for the 8 cores with 8 slots but only fill 6!.

12 cores lol lets hope u can fill all slots

tbh i expect no decernable difference filling 4th slot, coz getting 3 more 2 gigs or 3 4 gig sticks costs money, spec the latter which is extortion,any how little rant over and y did u ask what mac i had, thank you
Malk

Message 8/10             07-Sep-10  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: My mackie sr 24-4 is dying

k

just wondered being a mac user myself, only got 6gb in mine, would prefer 8gb

also i aint tried snow leopard yet. i got it ages ago but didnt dare install yet cos it might disrupt work if something goes wrong

obviously ram is cheaper direct from wherever than from apple

Message 9/10             10-Sep-10  @  09:02 AM   -   RE: My mackie sr 24-4 is dying

Malcolm Jeffery

Crucial do 12 gig ram thats

3x4 gig £420 thats a lot of dosh

2x4 gig £279

3x2 gig £155

2x2 gig £103

And remember they reckon on not filling your 4th slot!

Message 10/10             10-Sep-10  @  12:26 PM   -   RE: My mackie sr 24-4 is dying

Malcolm Jeffery

As to behringers I f.....g hate them shite crappy made rubbish, I had 3 of the same mixer one after the other that all had faults out of the box, and a friend had 2 euromixers that never worked right, cheap stuff bad quality, never getting my dosh again ever.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)