aaa Sonar 8.5 - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Sonar 8.5

Viewing all 26 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/26             17-Sep-10  @  01:15 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

yay! i ordered Sonar 8.5 Producer edition. should arrive next week. i haven't upgraded since Sonar 3.xx. i can't wait til it gets here. 

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/26             17-Sep-10  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

NastyM

Link?:  No link

congratulations - currently using the same (what a treat) - it has some amazing synths in there.
nice to hear your intending to produce some more tunes - looking forward with anticipation 

Message 3/26             17-Sep-10  @  11:54 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

Awesome. That's good to hear. I was just chatting with someone. It's amazing to think the predecessor to Sonar was the dorky albeit well engineered Cakewalk. My first DAW was Cakewalk 7. I found out why everyone was using Cubase or Logic. I'm sure someone who knew what they were doing could have pumped out great tracks with Cake too but I didn't exactly fall into the "knew what you were doing" category. In fact this might be hard to believe but midway through every track a little text bubble popped up over my track view..."Sitar, do you know what you're doing?" I'd be like *oh fuck you* and I'd close it. Then another would pop up on the other side, then another in the other corner, then another and another and another. People at dancetech kept asking, "Sitar, when are you going to post a track?" and I'd be like, "Oh fuck you too!" then I'd go back to chasing text bubbles. 

Oh yeah. True story.  :P 

Message 4/26             17-Sep-10  @  12:02 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

k

lol, i dunno tho, remember cake5 was the only stable audio & midi sequencer until quite well into the 90's. Cubase audio back then was unusable and Logic didnt have audio

it's gonna be a big jump for you man, i tried Sonar producer demo last year and man it's come along way! the sidechaning is well implemented, and the included fx are superb!

nice one man!

I got my Drobo recently, videos going up today.... bit of a delay cos i had to change ISP - nice new toys eh Sitar! muahahahaha!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/26             17-Sep-10  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

grats on the Drobo K! 

definitely nice new toys. ncie to hear this is going to be a big jump. i don't expect things to happen overnight but if i still can't produce anything but shite tracks please hand me a stick of dynamite and a match, then step back. 

Message 6/26             17-Sep-10  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

k

heh heh

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/26             20-Sep-10  @  03:26 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

I'm really getting antsy waiting for it to arrive. Today I did some reading on wavetable synthesis. It's something I didn't really touch in Reaktor. Looks like fantastic stuff. 

Message 8/26             21-Sep-10  @  11:22 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

it arrived! of course fedex came when i was at the grocery store so i had to go pick it up. i'm going to install it tomorrow and dig in. i don't know how long it will be before i get a track up but i'd play it safe and make sure your mute buttons are fully operational ahead of time.  

Message 9/26             22-Sep-10  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

so far so good. runs smoothly. interface is great. i've found lots of improvements already. first synth i opened is pentagon because it's one i'm familiar with. forgot how much i love pentagon and it's sweeter now. i figured with all the new stuff i have to figure out using something familiar will be like a control amidst a lot of variables. beatscape seems really cool. took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to get a sound out of it. baby steps lol. 

Message 10/26             24-Sep-10  @  12:04 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

I did a search for that Creakbox TB 303 plug. A link to DT came up and there it was. A review with a link to the site. The plug is still a free d/l!

Message 11/26             24-Sep-10  @  04:43 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

i spent this evening learning about the magic of sidechaining. for whatever reason i never caught on to why it is so important and useful. tonight i was like a little kid, making everything pump too much just so I could enjoy the effect. i was like, wow so that's what happens. lol

Message 12/26             24-Sep-10  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

and in reference to sidechaining this only dawned on me this morning....i always wondered how everyone seemed to have great, or at least good, kick drums in their mixes as if it was the easiest thing in the world to do. i never sidechained anything. as my mixes got fuller my drums began to disappear and to remedy that i'd eq them and whatnot until they became more audible. this usually meant taking a roland 909 kick drum and tweaking it til it sounded like a tin can so it would cut through the mix. i remember having snares that boomed more than my kicks. i think a closed hihat even won that competition once too. lol

have i ever mentioned, it's difficult being me? 

Message 13/26             26-Sep-10  @  02:30 AM     Edit: 26-Sep-10  |  02:33 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

worked on 3 tracks for over 12 hours today. just call me 'sidechain sitar". now that i know how it works i wish i would have known when i played sitar. i would have had a send from my sitar to more than a few tabla players. 

Message 14/26             27-Sep-10  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

question: for the life of me i can't find a way to show real time in sonar. i'm sure it's hidden somewhere. one track i'm writing is 150 bpm. i'm estimating that 150 measures of it is about 4.5 minutes. there's got to be a way to calculate it exactly though, (bpm)x(number of measures)=(length of song) but i've googled and come up empty. 

ideas?

Message 15/26             28-Sep-10  @  01:21 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

k

surely u right click in the top bars/beats horiz display? or click some icon at the end of it. there is also a smpte display u can activate

Message 16/26             28-Sep-10  @  03:16 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

I've tried that. I searched help for smpte. Nothing that came up looked like it would actually simply tell how to view it. I also looked in global and project options. Oh well. I'll find it. I'm surprised there's no formula for bpm x number of beats = real time, least nothing I can find. Thanks K. I'll have to right click around again. 

Message 17/26             28-Sep-10  @  11:36 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

k

mate just right-click on the time ruler and options should appear i'd have thought.

Message 18/26             28-Sep-10  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

NastyM

if i remember rightly (unfortunately i'm at work) the main timer bar thing is located in the drop down menu "view" mid to 2/3rds the way down (its a pain in the arse - as it appears to keep disappearing) if you dont find it i'll check tonight and confirm.

cheers M

Message 19/26             28-Sep-10  @  01:58 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

M thanks but I found it this morning. I right clicked around the top again and suddenly a different menu popped up. They call it "Position", which makes sense. I'd been looking for SMPTE. Just had to add it. Maybe it's more permanent if you do it that way. 

The other thing I can't find though is how to change how the transport responds to clicks. I don't want the transport to jump to my mouse when I left and right click. In Sonar 3 there was an option to change that when I right-clicked inside the track area. In other words, if my transport is at measure five and I click on a clip at measure 10 the transport jumps to measure 10. I want the stupid thing to stay at 5. Right now my mouse is a transport magnet. If I can't find out how to change it I might replace the the transport graph, the line, with a naked chick. At least my mouse will be a babe magnet. :P 

Message 20/26             28-Sep-10  @  02:27 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

I just looked again. Right click/Toolbars/Position. I've opened and closed Sonar a few times and it's still there. I can't open my Chrome browser while I have Sonar open btw. IE is no problem but Chrome messes with the sound drivers. 

Message 21/26             30-Sep-10  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

k

yeah i think some flash update has buggered windows cos suddenly for the first time in 15 years i'm getting crackling playback on all audio outputs and cannot find any fix - this is only one one machine which attaches to the web and has flash latest. all others are fine and all the macs are fine.

windows man! grrrrrrrrrr! i am so sick of it

Message 22/26             30-Sep-10  @  11:05 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

that really stinks. i'm not getting any crackling. this is my only puter so i have to connect online with it. funny thing is, since the night before last i opened sonar and started working on a track. an hour later i realized i still had chrome open. turns out it wasn't chrome messing with my drivers after all. i think it was the windows game "freecell" lol. yeah, shoot me but i've won close to 1,200 freecell games in a row now! 

i am really happy with the war sonar is running on this puter. in one song i have 36 tracks, almost 5 minutes of mostly audio and a few midi tracks, all software synths and a shitload of fx, compressors on some individual tracks and buses. they're not all playing at the same time but probably could be. many are muted as i'm probably discarding them. still, i could as well be running 1 midi track because it's running so smoothly. cpu stays between 25% and 30% with a burst to a little over and under every now and then.  

Message 23/26             30-Sep-10  @  01:27 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

NastyM

i used to run Sonar 2.2 and had similar probs - every track had to be bounced down to audio which left me practically unable to manipulate any of the midi files - a ball ache and a half, now its the same as youve described above thirty odd tracks effects etc and no ill (absolutely brilliant the only downside it encourages a certain lethargy with the previous setup i had to be constantly doing housework)

Message 24/26             30-Sep-10  @  03:25 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

i cleaned house on the track about an hour ago. the track is nearly finished. i created new projects called "Leads" and "Basses" where I'm saving leads and basses for new projects. i almost changed changed the whole feel of this track to accommodate a lead i made last night but i'll start a new song with it instead. 

there is so much i have to look into because i'm doing most things the same way i did them years ago and i know there are way faster ways to accomplish the same tasks now.  

Message 25/26             01-Oct-10  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

the trance track i'm writing is almost finished. i took a break today and i just posted in the music track and feedback forum explaining this track. 

Message 26/26             05-Oct-10  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

wow. i can do that autotune effect with v-vocal that comes bundled with sonar. the effect i'm talking about is the one i first heard in cher's voice in that song 'do you believe'. i still remember r-tek said "i'm overjoyed that cher finally found techno" lol. of course now it's the most overused effect in pop music. i've even heard it used in a country western vocal while i was in a bar not long ago.  

Viewing all 26 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)