aaa New Logic pro tutorial coming very soon!! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: New Logic pro tutorial coming very soon!!

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             01-Jun-11  @  12:32 AM   -   RE: New Logic pro tutorial coming very soon!!

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

.. and it's a monster chapter! already almost 3 hours in length. Yup, it's a long one, but the piano edit being covered is very deep and is also our main area for all midi editing, hence a long tutorial

It's already started, and we're about 3/5ths thru - then it has to be edited a tad and uploaded.

Piano-edit tutorial will contain tons of noob piano edit skills, including examples of the use of various functions (what's the point of being show a function if you've no idea how it might be used right?) such as easy ways of laying 3-time patterns over 4-time sequences etc etc.

also includes step input programming (very cool) AND the arppegiator (even cooler), so a looooong chapter, the longest in fact... now we're a Youtube partner we can deliver that chapter in large chunks of 30 minutes or more per chunk. no need to load a new part of the chapter every ten minutes!

soon come! 

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             02-Jun-11  @  05:45 PM   -   RE: New Logic pro tutorial coming very soon!!

Mr2Hatman

OO and to think sucha PC person for ages now appled,
although in the old days logic was both platforms wasnt it.?
Creator or summint,
why o why are the apples so damned expensive though.?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 3/10             03-Jun-11  @  02:44 PM     Edit: 03-Jun-11  |  02:45 PM   -   RE: New Logic pro tutorial coming very soon!!

k

he he C-Lab Notator & Creator! ye olden dayse!

yeah, Logic was on pc up to version 5. Version 6 onwards mac only. V6 wasnt much different than pc v5, except if i recall the v6 on mac included the ability to archive songs which discarded any unused audio clips, and copied the entire song to whatever backup folder location you wanted, inc' all assets.

Once mac's went intel tho it all changed i think, the ppc versions at that time were still too pricey s/h compared to a pc, and at the time pc's had xp which was ok & pc hardware was very reliable with low fail-rates, then vista came and ruined it all and soon after everyone 'hardware-bits' went to china and fail-rates for pc parts skyrocketted, and then macs went intel, and it all changed i think at that point.

I was sick of windows, vista was pants, everything i bought for pc's seemed to break or have problems and glitches, so that was it for me.

yes they seem dear, but 2 things.

One; remember with mac, when you upgrade in 3 years (if u do) the mac returns 1/2 it's value at least. My mac pro 2.8 is 3 years old this christmas, and still fetches almost what i paid for it s/h! They are sought after.

Two; they are really really well made!

Like take my microsoft intellipoint keyboard & mouse set maybe?, wonderful! 50 quid for the set! at that price they should be quality made right? They lasted a year and broke ffs!

On the other hand i have a g3, g4 and g5, and all their mice and keyboards still work 100% after years of commercial work (they were ex pro-graphics-house machines used daily and handed down to me when retired)

mac's work cos they are well made, their price reflects the REAL price to build a quality machine out of quality parts nowadays imo, and they do work. Generaly speaking if there's a serious problem it's usualy hardware. You're also not likely to get chippset issues with f/wire or other pc-type issues. They handle memory better, but mainly the os is so much better.

like on pc, you have maybe a few tb of drives in total and need to search for an old file; you know what it's like, search and wait as windows trawls thru the files one by one, it takes bloody ages unless you have some clue where the file is to start with (like which disk it is on even).

on mac OSX search is nigh-on instant.

i like osx, it's very smooth, very efficient. Yes i get the odd niggle as an osx noob, sometimes ownership permission riase their head, which you dont get on windows boxes. Thta sometimes happens, and you have to change the file permissions to be able to write & alter them, but otherwise not much issues.

Also the dvd drive in my 2.8 pro died (they are actualy just cheap sony dvd burner drives) So i ripped a pioneer dvd burner out of a windows machine and bunged it into the mac, no worries - just had to remove the dvd tray front cover with a screwdriver.

the g5 had a dead cpu when i got it (hence it was a freebie), but that was replaced by a service center for 200 quid with a warranty, you can replace cpu's fine in mac pros and g5's but getting the cpu is not much less than having it done in a workshop, so i just coughed up - but before that i stripped and rebuilt the g5 about 10 times to learn it, and it's not so hard, you just need the manual (the official apple service manuals can be had online) and a long allen-key wrench to remove the cpu heatsinks.

It's more like stripping and rebuilding a motorbike when u do a mac, in that there is a prodedure to follow rather than how it is with a windows box: ripping off the side panel and just using cables strewn all over the shop.

anyways one cpu replacement on the g5 in it's 6 or whatever years of life is not bad. 200 quid outlay in 6 years isnt much. This current windows pc i'm typing on is 3 years od and has had already a new mboard, ram and cpu set.

so yeah, Mac's seem dear, but retain value, and you can get some good deals on refurbs from dealers or the apple store. For example, if i wasnt doing hd video and only dance tracks, then a mac mini server (with the faster internal drives & 4gb ram) would be fine for me at about 650 quid. I don't do tons of tracks see.

go up to a newer quad imac and you are blazing, but still the older quad 2.66 early mac pro machines (only available s/h now) are the ones... I've got one of those also, and they offer massive bang for buck, they are quieter than the other mac pro's, and do almost as many tracks on the logic test song as a 2.8 8-core. Awesome machines with full case and all the pro-series expandability.

tbh tho, the old g5 dual 2.0 runs Logic 9, and it runs one of the included logic demo songs by The Killers which is 70 tracks & a sync'd small video!

ok, it lags badly if you try and edit on-the-fly, with the 70 tracks & video running, but it's an old g5.. it'll do dance tracks and song demos fine tho even to this day.

You can get a dual 2.0 g5 now for 200 quid in Gumtree! people think they cant run the latest logic etc on a g5, so nobody wants non-intel now ;) 

So sure, i'll keep my reliable OLDER windows machines which go on and on. They are good for specific jobs like taking on location for live multi-track recording, but the new pc hardware is crappy chinese tat & the win OS is cobblers compared to OSX

i dunno man, maybe see a mac more as a dedicated stand-alone recording machine?, like the older multitracks or disk-based all-in-one mixer/recorders?... looking at it like that, an imac or even a pro doesn't seem to so dear does it?

back in the day 2k was standard outlay for any basic multitrack basic setup. Try and see it like that maybe.. but also it'll do internet and the rest.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/10             03-Jun-11  @  03:17 PM     Edit: 05-Jun-11  |  04:33 PM   -   RE: New Logic pro tutorial coming very soon!!

Mr2Hatman

Careful of PPC g5s though Apple have a problem with them burning out,
 It has happened to me!
4 years old and totally fucked 750 quid repair, thats more than a second hand one.(PPC G5 Dual 2.O GHZ)

So no way as it will happen again in 4 years or earlier hey a door stop shapped as a mac still in pristine condition but dead, they are just to hot, repair bloke said his shop was full of them and all of them 750 quid new mother board replacement jobs. coz northbridge chip melts, ball grid array on cpu melts, and new lead free solder meant disaster, check the internet 100s of people with g5 doorstops, new enviromental stuff forced the new solder combined with mega hot ppc chips =dead mac
Apple deny any problem , but trust me there are thousands all dead.
There is a thread on the net for people to add serial nos to see how many there are.
Just hope my 16 month old quad xeon lasts more than 4 years.!for 2 grand thats why i no longer have unflinching belief in Apple coz they screwed a lot of people and should have replaced them all, come on 4 years and dead, they are sold as pro machines for intensive work. If you have a g5 still working SELL IT NOW.
Should have been suspicious when liquid cooling was introduced to the top g5s, ironically though the liquid cooling system on them failed faster than the melt down and still wrecked the computer!
Malk
But my loverly G4 466 MHZ is still fine 10 years old but runs alot colder than g5s but worth 40 quid on ebay lol was 1500 quid in 2001

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 5/10             07-Jun-11  @  10:20 AM   -   RE: New Logic pro tutorial coming very soon!!

k

god really? i heard the water-cooled g5's were prone to leak, but didnt know about the g5 overheating thang. Was that across the entire g5 series or just certain batches? Mine's had one cpu changed as i said, but otherwise goes on and on

what i really want is a mini to replace the g5, smaller etc. and as i only use the g5 for simple ideas creation and as a media center for iplayer, youtube and playing films etc, it should have enuff grunt.

Message 6/10             08-Jun-11  @  12:11 PM     Edit: 08-Jun-11  |  12:12 PM   -   RE: New Logic pro tutorial coming very soon!!

safeandsound123

I have never got immensely into logic as a sequencer favouring Cubase, though i always thought I was missing something by not using Logic, grass is greener syndrome I guess, lol.

mastering studio

SafeandSound Mastering, low cost, high end

Message 7/10             08-Jun-11  @  12:52 PM   -   RE: New Logic pro tutorial coming very soon!!

k

yeah cubase. I'm doing this piano-roll-edit tutorial for logic right now, and of course while (imo) logic does alot of thinsg better than cubase, cubase has some features which seriously are lacking in logic, such as the brush tool, and especialy the sine/saw, square wave presets for drawing in controllers combined with perfect snapping to the grid/division

logic's mix & controller automation is still lumbered with clunky, basic & out-of-date node-editing but without any cool extras.

otherwise i'm happy with it, but the controller editing & creation is pitiful.

also Logic doesn't have midi inserts which sonar and cubase have. Logic also relies on the VERY old "transform boxes" to perform various 'functions', which are terribly cryptic left-overs from years ago, which again need dragging, kicking and screaming into the modern world.

otherwise Logic rules for me. Better effects, instruments, audio handling & the unified interface itself which doesnt use endless popping-up windows etc (imo)

Message 8/10             19-Sep-11  @  11:45 AM     Edit: 19-Sep-11  |  11:46 AM   -   RE: New Logic pro tutorial coming very soon!!

k

anyhoos. Parts for Chapter-4 (Piano-Roll Edit) are being added - now it's up to 11 parts, more to come as they are edited and uploaded

http://www.youtube.com/user/dancetech#grid/user/44481E0F82A9993F

Message 9/10             04-Oct-11  @  02:07 PM     Edit: 04-Oct-11  |  02:08 PM   -   RE: New Logic pro tutorial coming very soon!!

k

3 more parts added. Hyperdraw explained; the full monty:

controlling hardware synths

the historical progression of sequencers from old-skool hardware control thru to the invention of s/w synths and then to the invention of daw-hosted s/w synth plugins & modern s/w synth control

the relationship between hyperdraw & track-automation

transferring controllers between hyperdraw & track-automation

techniques & tricks:  identifying s/w-synth controller numbers technique, waveshapes for controllers, creating controller shapes, gating and sweeping controllers, techniques for using hyperdraw tools & snap, converting between controller parameter types, rhythmic controllers, changing tempo of rhythmic controller shapes, creating controller-shape templates and importing to current song,  and more

http://www.youtube.com/user/dancetech#grid/user/44481E0F82A9993F

Message 10/10             16-Oct-11  @  03:09 PM   -   RE: New Logic pro tutorial coming very soon!!

rags .aka. welder

Ahh, very good tutorials... I have been watching these for hours (been away on a business trip in Sweden and I could not sleep - as usual), even though I don't even use Logic (nor any other Apple product since they've pulled a plug on the PC version). 

The "click on the piano roll selects notes with that pitch" trick even work in Live!  

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)