aaa a track i'm proud of - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: a track i'm proud of

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             03-Jun-11  @  09:52 AM     Edit: 03-Jun-11  |  09:54 AM   -   RE: a track i'm proud of

sitar

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

you guys who've been around for a while have listened to some of the shittiest tracks written courtesy of moi. lately i've written a couple decent tracks, finally. this one has lots i am happy about. i played congas and percussion years ago with afro and jazz groups before i picked up sitar. this piece has elements of what i played then. actually exactly what i played on congas. but what's more are the sax and piano parts i wrote for this. the sax is a wavetable synth using saw waves but more importantly the solo is fashioned after John Coltrane and his longtime pianist Mccoy Tyner, to a lesser degree. i wasn't sure i could write such a solo but i realized i listened to hundreds of hours of Coltrane recordings years ago. and i have to say, you've been kind to me, an older man all these years. it's very much appreciated. the female speaking voice is my gf.  

http://www.7161.com/css_track.cfm?track__dt_track_id=20550

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             04-Jun-11  @  12:23 AM   -   RE: a track i'm proud of

NastyM

Link?:  No link

yeah, thats great - love the vocals over congas (sounds like a poker hand - queens over eights !) the piano and solo sax are just incredible (only criticism id have, if any, is that the sax would sound so much better if it was a sax - come on now youve got a week or so free, learn to play that sax - after all thats one hell of a solo) please do not take that as deconstructive i loved the track and to be honest once you accept that it cant be a real sax - it just gets better (again loved the solo!) hats  off to you good sir!!!

Message 3/7             04-Jun-11  @  09:20 AM   -   RE: a track i'm proud of

sitar

thanks for the listen and for the compliments. i have to make an effort to be at DT more often than i have been the past several months. been busy with tracks and other things. 

yeah i don't know. the sax sound to me is quite real. i wanted a slightly edgy sax, like a number 2 reed or number 1 even but i'm listening to everything on phones. don't know what it sounds like on speakers.

thanks again. you know i love the stuff you write. i have to get back here more. the last i listened to was a great piece i could imagine in a film, a good film.  

Message 4/7             07-Jun-11  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: a track i'm proud of

k

i think either make the solo MORE synth-y sounding or use a real sax. I'm kinda coming down on the side of a synth solo myself as it would offset the organic sounding percussion backing - electronic over acoustic.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/7             08-Jun-11  @  04:43 PM     Edit: 08-Jun-11  |  04:44 PM   -   RE: a track i'm proud of

sitar

k wrote:

i think either make the solo MORE synth-y sounding or use a real sax. Im kinda coming down on the side of a synth solo myself as it would offset the organic sounding percussion backing - electronic over acoustic.

that's another idea. i do have real sax sounds but they are too "straight". i don't know if you guys have listened to players like Pharoah Sanders. i was going for a raunchy sax. a synthier sound is a good idea too. i've already made a lengthier version of the piece but i probably won't post it up. thanks for the listen and feedback K! 

Message 6/7             26-Jun-11  @  11:45 AM   -   RE: a track i'm proud of

safeandsound123

Great stuff, loving the groove, I have recorded some great percussionists and this sounds very good IMO. cheers

SafeandSound Mastering, low cost, high end

Message 7/7             09-Jul-11  @  10:32 PM   -   RE: a track i'm proud of

sitar

safeandsound123@googlemail.com wrote:

Great stuff, loving the groove, I have recorded some great percussionists and this sounds very good IMO. cheers

wow thanks! i've since done a much better mix wherein i can really hear that sound of hands hitting the congas. i used to play and there is a subtle sound i'm not even sure carries to the audience. i've also extended it and done a couple of other things. i might post the new version but i don't expect anyone to listen again. thanks for the listen and kind words. cheers!

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)