aaa Endorphin: still king - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Endorphin: still king

Viewing all 1 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/1             17-Oct-11  @  09:33 AM   -   RE: Endorphin: still king

rags .aka. welder

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I just did a quick hack of a mastering on this track (http://www.7161.com/css_track.cfm?track__dt_track_id=20812) basically driving it into a limiter (which was at around 3 - 3.5 dB  gain reduction) and because I had nothing better around at that time I have used Endorphin, an old freebie from Sascha Eversmeier (http://digitalfishphones.com). Mind you, I love this plugin, but it's pretty old, aliases like hell, etc… of course, I have "better" tools… or so I thought. 

So I transfered the track to my other laptop for proper treatment, and replaced Endorphin with Elephant 3, which - so far - proved to be unbeatable in terms of - well - banging the shit out of a track and still be able to hear transients, retain clarity, etc… only, I could not match the sheer clarity and power of the humble Endorphin version. WTF! I tweaked Elephant for hours, till my ears bled, and came very close in "clip" mode (8x oversampling), but still, I chose the Endorphin version all the time when it come time to do the blind testing.

I didn't gave up at this point, I have downloaded some demos of highly regarded limiters/volume maximizers, like Fabfilter's Pro-L (nice, but a bit muddy with reduced stereo width), , Bootsy's plugins (nice, but not really in this league when it comes to transparent limiting), PSP Wintage Warmer 2 (close, but no cigar). I have even tried the limiter that comes with Ableton Live, and while it wasn't half bad, it rounded things up a bit. I'm sure there are countless other great products, but still, the freebie stands up, and keep things banging, while all the others seem to crap out / make things soft and mushy. And we are not talking about Metallica / Lady Gaga like commercial levels here, just giving some IDM track a litle bit of push (3-4 dB GR is NOT extreme by any means).

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 1 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 1 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)