aaa Let's hear it then! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Let's hear it then!

Viewing all 22 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/22             20-Mar-98  @  11:32 AM   -   Let's hear it then!

steve_hunt

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

So if it's been to Frankfurt can we get it to your web site?
There's a couple of links on the Nova page which ignore me rudeley when clicked. How about giving them a life?
I'd particularly like to hear the filters going acid and your best impersonation of xmod like Yam GS1 - ELP Pirates etc. I told you I'd buy one if you could make that sound.
Steve

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/22             23-Mar-98  @  09:17 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

Phill at nova

Yo, Hang tight,

I will make Realaudio Prelimiary demo available ASAP.
I recon by the end of the week the lion will roar in the internet & it will roar louder still in days to come.

Cheers Phill.

PS.The best things are worth waiting for!

Message 3/22             24-Mar-98  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

Steve

I got the brochure from you today.....drool....drool...please tell me there's a possible future update for xmod.....I know it's hard cos the Nord's DSPs seem to run out of bandwidth on this one and go clangy - but I'm sure you've got enough MIPs in there????
Damn nice brochure. Will the expander card be available at the launch, either factory installed or separately? If not, what kind of (reallistic) wait?

Message 4/22             27-Mar-98  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

fraxis

Well, it's the end of the week and the lion still isn't "roaring on the internet" - it's not even squeaking!! How long does it take to digitize and upload an audio clip for goodness sake?

Message 5/22             27-Mar-98  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

Phill

Hang on! The best things are worth waiting for!

A few days to the demo that was shoen at frankfurt.

The factory one soon as we have done the voices.

Cheers Phill

Message 6/22             30-Mar-98  @  11:06 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

fraxis

Nice one Phill!!

The RealAudio sounds great.
Sorry if I was a bit grouchy in my last couple of messages!

Cheers

Rob

Message 7/22             31-Mar-98  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

paul

oooops... hit submit by mistake!!!

Nice demo!

...brochure as well - can't believe all these functions! Nice arpeggiator, when can we get hold of this for real?

Need some more voices for it? I've programmed for Akai (Disc Library/Vintage Module) and Roland (Dance Expansion Board).

See Ya

Paul

P.S. Why not release the Arpeggiator as a stand alone unit!

Message 8/22             31-Mar-98  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

Phill

Send in a CV of stuff you have done - we welcome input/Sounds. You sound like the type of person that we could get seriously interested in. Any ideas welcome.

Phill at Novation.

Message 9/22             31-Mar-98  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

The Best things are worth waiting for

Yep The Demo is late but you guys can now hear what we were showing at frankfurt.

Cheers Phill,

The factory demo will be much more impressive, please watch this site!

Message 10/22             09-Apr-98  @  09:34 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

paul

Really! Who should I send info to?

I also write for Mixology Magazine.

A SuperNova news story will feature this month - echoed on www.mixology.co.uk (studio section). When you have the final SuperNova demo we would like to feature it on our magazine's cover CD/web.

I would have replied sooner, been very busy... I currently have five remixes in the Official Record Mirror/Music Week Dance Chart Top 20 - including No 1!!!

Paul @ Tidy Trax Records

Message 11/22             10-Apr-98  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

steve_hunt

Personally, I've given up waiting. Bought a Nord Modular. It's brilliant. Don't give me any bollox about 'should have waited' - that's what I was told in November too.
I don't pretend to compare the Modular with the Supernova, they're completely different - it depends what you want; flexibility or completeness. If the Supernova ever comes out I'll still probably get one.
If anyone wants a demo cd of the Modular (40 mins) email me. I'll probably do a Supernova too...one day...???

Message 12/22             02-Jun-98  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

Phill

What do you like about the Nord?

Phill@Novation

Message 13/22             05-Jun-98  @  09:01 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

steve_hunt

What do I like about the Nord Modular?

It's very different. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford lots of synths so I'd rather have one of each type (sample based, wave sequencing, wave table, fm, analog, virtual analog, physical modelling etc.) rather than one Jack-of-all trades. This means that massive polophony like the Supernova isn't a big deal to me. I could still get a Supernova if the quality of it's sounds are special or it has any unusual synthesis methods, ie it can make sounds nothing else I've got can.

The Nord sounds good. It's got little in the way of built-in fx so it needs to sound good. Try turning off the fx of a JP8000 or AN1x and they sound really thin next to the Nord. That's a good acid test for a synth, I wonder what the Supernova's like? The Nord is gritty and coarse sounding rather than smooth . It can certainly be warm though.

It's very high quality, a BMW among synths - very solid and well made - the knob action is firm and smooth. It makes you feel good to play it.

It's flexible. Understatement of the year!

PC software user interface is excellent. I've shown it to my engineers as an example of how to do a good UI.

Should someone buy a Modular OR a Supernova? Chalk and cheese.

Message 14/22             09-Jun-98  @  03:52 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

Steves Comments

The Supernova is very fat without effects, The 3 Oscillator thing and the very accuratley modelled filter, plus the sheer speed of the envelopes make it a fat and punchie.

Yep your right turning the FX off is a good test, after all smothering a cake in icing does not make a great Cake!

Phill@Novation

Message 15/22             22-Jun-98  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

strippler

The Supernova-demo i heard in Frankfurt was great !
Now i am a proud (german) owner of that awful machine, but i dont think that the factory demo is more impressive. Is the Frankfurt demo available as a midi-file ?
If somebody else has midi-files please mail me. As a beginner in analogue synthesis it might be helpful to study some controllers used in an song.
In the meantime i'm gonna work hard on analogue sound-programming ;-)

Greets
Stefan

Message 16/22             22-Jun-98  @  10:42 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

awufl machine ?! what do you mean ?

Message 17/22             22-Jun-98  @  10:56 PM   -   RE: awful machine

strippler

awful machine means (as far as i am able to translate that):
-the fattest sound i ever heard
-cruel sync sounds
-punching envelopes
-frightening distortion ... and so on ;-)

Message 18/22             24-Jun-98  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

Phill

Awful I think can possibly be traslated as BAD.
Serious sounds

Message 19/22             24-Jun-98  @  09:21 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

strippler

I apologize for my misleading description of your great synth. It was love at first sight and i regret nothing ;-)
Last of all SHE is really good looking :-))

Message 20/22             24-Jun-98  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

brian

Aweful=full of awe

Message 21/22             25-Jun-98  @  09:51 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

Jason

You people sound Happy about the supernova. this is good news to me.

Im from California USA and I was wondering will it come out over here. Im interested into what the Supernova will do for me. Im planning on buying the Access Virus, and the Nord Rack 2. I have an 88 note keyboard so im not interested into buying another Keyboard synth. With these 3 models I should beable to do endless of things and possibilities to last me for years. If I ever buy a nother keyboard synth it would have to be a synth like that New Waldorf Q synth as it has 58 knobs and 38 buttons for editing and 3 oscillators plus a built in 61 note Keyboard. Theres more to it and the info I got was pretty short. It sounds like it may be an awsome VR analog synth that might make me forget the Nord rack 2 if there price is good for it. Im looking for some of the best equipment for my setup. I know all about the Nord Modular and it sounds awsome too but its too complexed for me. I like it more simple and more easier to use so im sticking with this stuff. If I buy your Supernova will there be enough difference in ways of how I can do things with it? My theory is if I buy the Nord Rack 2 or the Waldorf Q,Virus, and the Supernova then I will have the best of each synth. For that there will be plenty of things that one synth can do that the other cant and vice versa. However if the new Waldorf Q is really that great then I'll sell my Alesis QS8 for it. then I will definitly have a sound setup system and beable to create music with endless variety in site. But that probably never happen who knows.

Message 22/22             25-Jun-98  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: Let's hear it then!

Phill

All I can say really is, Listen to the sound. That makes it. We have set up our own distribution in the states so keep posted!

Viewing all 22 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)