aaa MUTE STATUS Parameter usefulness - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: MUTE STATUS Parameter usefulness

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             07-Sep-98  @  08:53 PM   -   MUTE STATUS Parameter usefulness

Phill

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Supernova - Do you guys find the MUTE STATUS parameter in the ARP Menu useful?

Do you find any other ARP parameters not so useful?

We are finalising Version 3, we can improve it!

Please advise.. You help is valued.

Phill@Novation

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             08-Sep-98  @  12:37 AM   -   RE: MUTE STATUS Parameter usefulness

brian

Mute status is the ONLY parameter I can think of that could be considered useless, because it can be accomplished at least two other ways that I can think of. Every other parameter is useful.

Message 3/12             08-Sep-98  @  03:48 AM   -   RE: MUTE STATUS Parameter usefulness

kilo

on the subject of muting... what would be killer.... y'know when in a multi-setup playback, you hit any of the 8 buttons to select the part for adjusting.... well if you then hit it again, it mutes....a nice touch for gigs, would be a mode in say performance, where you only have to hit the button once to mute it, and once to un-mute...... if poss.....would be a nice touch to remove the need for 8 mixer channels

Message 4/12             08-Sep-98  @  09:19 AM   -   RE: MUTE STATUS Parameter usefulness

Muffy

Yep, never used the Mute Option in the Arpeggiator. If I want to mute a part I use the Part buttons.

Message 5/12             08-Sep-98  @  08:00 PM   -   RE: MUTE STATUS Parameter usefulness

Phill

Yo Kilo,

It already does it, Select a part and then select it again. It mutes it. I know this is not the best way of doing this. We are lookin into it.

I am really talking about the MUTE STATUS PARAMETER on page one of the Menu button on Arp section.

It's function is as follows:
It mutes the ARP i.e. no arp but also NO SOUND ( Although the ARP is still running. i.e. in sync.).

If it is UN_MUTED ( It says SOUNDING ) the arpeggio is kicked back in in sync.

My feeling is that this should happen with the ARP ON/OFF by default thereby making this parameter obsolete. i.e. all arps are running all the time regardles of being active or not.

Please advise guy's and gal's!!

Phill@Novation

Message 6/12             10-Sep-98  @  08:35 PM   -   RE: MUTE STATUS Parameter usefulness

Phill

Really could do with feedback!!

Anyone out there?

Message 7/12             10-Sep-98  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: MUTE STATUS Parameter usefulness

brian

Hi Phill,
Could you tell us just what you have in mind here? Are you considering a parameter to replace arp mute and you need the space or what? If we had a choice for something more exciting in the arp, then perhaps the topic would seem more compelling and you would get the feedback you desire. As for myself, I don't use the Mute status feature. I can only imagine it useful in a live setting and I use a sequencer. Am I missing the point here?

On the other hand, I can think of lots of features that maybe many would like to see included in the arp. Like a reversable arp parameter that would play an arpeggio forwards and backwards. Or an intelligent harmonizer in the Real time transposition setting, or routing the arp as a modulator. Just food for thought, as the arp is really fine as is.

Brian

Message 8/12             10-Sep-98  @  11:24 PM   -   RE: MUTE STATUS Parameter usefulness

brian

Just reread your last post, Phill. And I would say YES the arp on/off should have the feature built in.
Brian

Message 9/12             11-Sep-98  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: MUTE STATUS Parameter usefulness

kilo

well, i cant see the difference really, unless by removing the arp-mute, and relying on the arp on/off, it leaves you room to include a new facility in the menu??

as long as the arp on/off can kik back in immeadiatly, without a glitch i guess it 'd be ok.... or does arp on/off when switched back in have to wait for a new cycle to begin to play?.... sorry... aint realy got into that bit of the nova yet... too hapopy with the rest at the moment ! :-)

Message 10/12             13-Sep-98  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: MUTE STATUS Parameter usefulness

Phill

My comment is because if the arp is "Muted" currently the whole part is muted. ie no sound on that part. I find this useless and potentially confusing with the "Part Mute" parameter in performances. I would like feedback as to what you guys think.

Phill@Novation

Message 11/12             21-Jan-99  @  10:41 PM   -   RE: MUTE STATUS Parameter usefulness

Kinetik

I personally find the Arp MUTE feature one of the most useful features when using the SuperNova for live performance !

The purpose of the Arp Mute isn't really explained very well in the manual (Phill please take note !), so it's not really all that surprising that many people can't see a use for it.

As an example of how Arp Mute can be used, imagine you have a Performance with one Arpeggiator providing Bass Drum, another Arp a snare sequence and a third a Bass line. You may only want to hear the Bass drum for the first two bars or so, then you'd want to bring in the snare for another two bars or so, then finally bring in the bass line. Arp Mute allows you to do this WHILE ENSURING ALL ARPS REMAIN IN ABSOLUTE SYNC WITH EACH OTHER. In this example, the Programs containing the snare and bass line parts would actually be saved in memory with their Arp Mute set to On (so that they are not immediately sounding as soon as the 'song' starts) and all would be needed during live performance would be for the relevant Arps to be
un-muted at the appropriate moment.

The main differences between Arp and Part Mute are as follows :

(1) The current Arp Mute status is stored in the Program when it is saved. It is impossible to do this with Part mute (there simply isn't enough space in the Performance data structure to do this - I've thoroughly looked at the possibility ! Unfortunately Part muting was very much a last minute addition to the Supernova spec)
(2) Arp Mute can be used in PROGRAM Mode if desired.
(3) Arp Mute can mute/unmute external sound modules being triggered by the Arpeggiator via MIDI OUT. This of course is impossible to achieve with Part Muting.
(4) In OS 1 & 2 Part Mute does not transmit / respond to MIDI. OS3 WILL include Part Muting MIDI specification.

Message 12/12             23-Jan-99  @  05:55 PM   -   RE: MUTE STATUS Parameter usefulness

KILO

YES YES YES.... now i understand... yes an arp mute ONLY that doesnt mute the actual sound would be excellent..... sometimes when selecting sounds, they dont play without it... so that'd be excellent.... you could audition sounds and flip tha arp off to hear them without...

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)