aaa Super Bass Station Newbie questions - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Super Bass Station Newbie questions

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             21-Dec-98  @  08:18 PM   -   Super Bass Station Newbie questions

djminx

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi there,

I am totally new to midi and synth.
Just got the Super Bass Station and have
a few questions after thoroughly go
through the very brief manual. hope
anyone can help, thanks in advance.

1.Isn't LFO(oscillator) the Oscillator
of Super Bass Station, why there is
there another oscillator section? on
p.68 it saids to choose waveform for the
Osc, and on p.66 it also can choose
SHAPE(waveform) for the
LFO(oscillator)!?!?

2.this is about arpeggiator, should I
key in the note all at the same time or
one at the time?

3. this is about p.52, what's this?
what's 'Trigger Pulses'?

4. this is about p.57, which setting
should i use for simple midi tracks?

5. this is about p.59, what's the
difference between keysynced &
freewheeling?

6. And again what's the difference
between LFO and oscillators??

Sorry if the questions sounds stupid,
but I've never in contact with these
things before in my life. this is my
first gear and I got a cubase Mac. Many
thank

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             22-Dec-98  @  01:40 PM   -   RE: Super Bass Station Newbie questions

Richie

Oh blimey,

The lfo is not a sound generating osc, you use it to affect the other oscillators.

i.e. you can assign the Filter to be modulated by the LFO, this will create that sweeping up and down sound that you hear a lot on trancy tracks, if the LFO is set slow.

The other osc (1&2) actually produce sound.

The best way to learn about analogue synthesis is to lock yourself away with your bass station and play with it making mental notes as to what does what when you try it.

but basically LFO = low frequency oscillator - so low that you can't actually hear it.

----------

Message 3/3             23-Dec-98  @  07:40 AM   -   RE: Super Bass Station Newbie questions

chertzy

I've got one too and it's taken me a long time to start to get to grips with it. The way I see it is this.....

There is are 2 oscillators for producing the "raw" waveform (second set of knobs). these can be detuned relative to each other and mixed together in the 3rd ste of knobs (mix section). To complicate things further there is a sub-oscillator in the mix section, which is there just to "beef up" the sound. Each of the two main oscillators can be a different shape etc (ie triangle, square) for different noises.

There are also two LFO's. These have frequencies far too low to hear, but you apply them to the filters and amplifiers that work on the main sounds (last two sets of knobs). If an lfo of roughly the same frequncy as the note rate (eg i oscillation per note) you can get a acidy squelch/quack/mewl noise. So each note the filter starts low(for instance) and ends high.
If the LFO is set to a much slower rate, then you can get long "sweeps" like you hear on all trance/techno. For this the filter rate needs to be the same as say, 8 bars of music. Get it ?

The Super Bass station gives us 2 LFO's so that you can get BOTH effects at once.

What I did with my box was to program LONG single notes on my sequencer, and repeat them for as much as 5 minutes (joined up to each other)....then make sure that the seq is sending MIDI clock (very important), turn the Arpeggiator on, then play with it. You'll learn about the patterns, LFO rates etc. quite quickly that way.

Novation have tried to fit an awful lot into the box, and as an introduction to analog type synths it's really jumping in at the deep end. Keep plugging away though and you get some amazing groovy noises out of it.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)