aaa The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

11-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Viewing all 24 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/24             14-Feb-99  @  06:26 AM   -   The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I saw the OS 3 specs and hadn't noticed much of anything concerning the rectification of the noisy, "clicking" sounds the Novation Supernova makes when the effects on the unit are placed at a slightly higher setting.

This also was brought out in the KEYBOARD review Zon Pyles did on the unit early this year.

Is Novation going to concentrate on making the effects of the Supernova cleaner or is all the concentration now falling to the more affordable Nova Synth?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/24             15-Feb-99  @  12:26 AM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Spike

Said like someone who doesn't own one but probably works for the opposition

Message 3/24             15-Feb-99  @  01:01 AM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

a punter

heh heh..... agreed, mine doesnt do that

Message 4/24             15-Feb-99  @  03:57 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Phill

We are going to release OS3 as soon as possible...Clicking is due to the delay when placed in MIDI Clock sync...This was improoved with V2 and is Eliminated on OS3.

You can get around this by simply turning the clock off in your sequencer. SN will remember the correct delay settings and will not click.

Sorry to see your all "Shitty"

Phill@Novation

Message 5/24             18-Feb-99  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

I do own one, and found it annoying that this was happening SPIKE.

No one should pay that much money for a rackmount blue box and get crap.

My expectations weren't met, nor was my email answered concerning the issue when I first bought the instrument.

I'm glad, though, that my post finally got a response, PHIL, and, again, Phil, one shouldn't pay $2200 for crap when one doesn't have to, n'est-ce pas?

I spent $1100 on a JP-8080 by Roland, and haven't had any issues with it's sound quality.

So, I'm not all "shitty". Your product, at the moment, is.

Message 6/24             19-Feb-99  @  07:54 AM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

SPIKE

As you do own one "no-name" I apologise. Sorry

Message 7/24             19-Feb-99  @  10:42 AM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Phill

We do try to answer all email. I get it all the time and I am all over this forum...maybe you sent to to the wrong address?

Sorry you feel upset...

We are going as fast as we can. We do not want to release a New OS untested with perhaps bugs in it.

Cheers,
Phill

Message 8/24             19-Feb-99  @  01:24 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Paul

Spike, why appologise, this kind of attitude is completely unacceptable. If you don't like your synth and you think it's has technical problems that you find unacceptable just ask for your money back, the law is on your side and it's actually quite easy to do this if you go about it in the right way.

It seems to me that Phil has indicated a solution to the problem and has also said that it will be fixed in the next release. Every piece of high tech equipement has these kinds of problems and it is a positve reflection on Novation that they are willing to discuss and, more importantly, resolve these kinds of issues.

Have you ever tried to enter into this kind of discussion with Roland or, even worse, Steinberg ?. I'm glad your happy with the sound of you JP8080, personally I think it's massively overated.

Paul.

Message 9/24             19-Feb-99  @  10:15 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Phill

Paul ... I Thank you for input..we are really trying and as disclosed on the site we are responding to any input..

I have loads of olde analogue stuff and that really annoys me sometimes...out of tune...MIDI implementation that could be questioned...Bugs...etc.

We are crackin it...

Web will deliver...Much More than you expect...

Check Products..Wot dat

Phill@Novation

Message 10/24             21-Feb-99  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

jangley

Hi

I hate to say it, but I also think that the effects of the SN are a bit of a let-down, espcially the delay:

- There's no life and clarity in the effects - even a simple delay outboard unit seems to have more sparkle than the SN's, even with no HF damp.

- What on earth are the units, anyway? I'm used to setting the delay in ms - could you at least publish some conversion table?

- Howabout some cross-over feedback for a stereo delay? Or a ping-pong delay.

As far as the source sound the unit produces is concerned - well, it's great. But the overall sound you hear on a recording is generally half source, half effects. I don't expect the SN to be both an 8-part multi-timbral analogue AND an effects unit in one, but having the CPU running around doing all 7-odd effects simultaneously with mediocre results seems a bit strange when it could be doing just 2 or 3 very clearly.

(For the record, I too think that the effects in the JP are better-sounding. And I don't work for Roland - it's just my opinion.)

Thanks for listening

J

Message 11/24             21-Feb-99  @  07:10 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

fin

Have you guys complaining about the effects ever used an old analog synth with an old analog echo?

Sounds pretty much like the Supernova delay to me... Especially if you use the damping feature on the Supernova delay, just like the real 'old' thing!

Why do people want to try and emulate an old analog synth, then want "perfect" effects from the same machine? Guess I'm missing something here... ;-)

Great job again Novation! Thumbs up from me anyway.

Fin.

Message 12/24             22-Feb-99  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Phill

Ping Pong delays can be made using the Ratio Parameter and the Width (For Stereo)

Actually the Bandwidth of the SN's delay is much better than the product you mentioned...we measured it on one we have here.

Cheers,

Phill@Novation

Message 13/24             15-Mar-99  @  07:23 AM   -   RE: The SHoTTY ENGLISH that guy has

TranzIndental fASTBIKES

A few words:

- For those of you who buy something without a full days demo in the shoppe...like skydiving without a parachute ;)

- Paul and crew: I chuffed you listened to your customers about a keyboad version, spot on mate! ?MSRP?

Message 14/24             22-Mar-99  @  09:18 PM   -   RE:A1 WHERE IS OS3 BETA????

DJ_CUSTARD

LOOK! In your adverts it says that OS3 exists, Ive been to your web site,
NOT THERE!
What a suprise!
Ive already tried about 10 billion times already!
JUST SORT IT OUT PLEASE!

Message 15/24             23-Mar-99  @  09:08 AM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

fin

Sheesh!

Chill out man.

Or maybe apply for a job at Novation if you think you could project manage the development of the software better than they are (and have done in the past)!

Message 16/24             23-Mar-99  @  10:46 AM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Phill

We have nt advertised OS3 yet...Future by mistake said it was available...they did not read the ress release properly...

Beta will be available soon...if I gave it to you now you would only complain about incompatibility later...

Phill@Novation

Message 17/24             23-Mar-99  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

punter

blimey... i thought the whole point of the Supernova was that the FX were like analog styled or real analog FX surely - i thought it was real analog delay ? ??..... i never expected a yammy spx900 or a pcm 70 in my Supernova - lastly i will say, over at DT they had all these tech people from product companies posting bogus info against the competition to confuse punters (!!) - you could tell them cos they never put an email address [hint-hint!!!] - but they got found out - and one guy was sacked by his company even - (Korg)

Message 18/24             23-Mar-99  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

stevoe

Why did you buy the Supernova if the FX are not what you were expecting? It baffles me when I read stuff like that, about how crap the Supernova is and how bad the FX are. I think most people like myself, have a good demonstration at the shop, read as many reviews as possible, check out the messages on the website, and then and only then decide whether...wait for it.... its the instrument I've been looking for. I then part with my cash, I go home make beautiful music and then realise on top of that I've bought an expandable piece of gear and soon it will be even better. In my opinion thats pretty good.

As for the FX, I think they are pretty good and more than adequate. If you ask Novation nicely they might even listen to you about the analogue style decays...

Message 19/24             23-Mar-99  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Phill

Sorry about the missed letters in my last posting...My PC at work has a shitty keyboard!! Some key require a really postive touch...

Anmyway...FX...They are better...wait for OS3...I know I have said this for a while but it is good.

Phill@Novation

PS MAC Computer keyboards are better I think...

Message 20/24             24-Mar-99  @  05:07 AM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Spoke

>>Anmyway...FX....

Now we have a new keyboard - now for some new fingers

Message 21/24             24-Mar-99  @  01:28 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Paul

Stevoe, absolutely spot on.

It's entirly obvious from discussion groups like this and others that most people read a couple of reviews in magazines and then buy the product mail order from the cheapest possible source.

People buying in this way should just not be complaining about a product they don't like. If you are prepared to spend £1000 pounds on something you are not prepared to even try then please buy your next car from me.

I only bought a synth like this on one occasion and I was lucky, my Waldorf Pulse is great.

If you are going to buy a synth of the calibre of the SN then you should give yourself at least a couple of hours in front of the unit (with a sequencer because its multi-timbral), trying out the presets and knocking up a sound or two of your own.

You need longer really as any new synth usually sounds great at first. It takes time to realise the true potential of any synth and, judging by the ridiculously long kit lists you often see, most people never do.

I've tried out the SN on a couple of occasions and it is a great synth. I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Of course it does not have 8 PCM480's built in. If you bought this unit expecting to become the next big techno act in three months then your just being naive. You could knock out a top techno track on an SR16, DX100 and CZ101.

I get the feeling some people are just venting their frustration that buying a new synth did not actually allow them to demonstrate the huge talent that is obviously only held back by lack of equipement.

Now, can I have a two-part, four note mini-nova for £299 please. The cost of the SN and N doesn't put me off, they are just more than I want to cope with in one box.

Paul

Message 22/24             24-Mar-99  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Haz

I agree completely - I'm amazed at how many posts I've read from people whinging about having to wait so long for OS3 or how the effects are not up to scratch etc. I've been having so much fun with my SNV as it stands with OS2 installed - it's a superb piece of kit. I love creating new arpeggiated patches that evolve and modulate over time, perhaps with MIDI sync'ed delays, then layering two or three such arpeggios over each other in performance mode. I've been able to create sounds and rhythms which I wouldn't have been able to or I wouldn't have thought of doing otherwise.

One comment I would make though - perhaps it would have been better if Novation had done an incremental release (i.e. 2.1) to fix the minor bugs that are in OS2, before embarking on any major new features. However, not many companies these days offer you bug fixes as well as completely new features for FREE....which is great.

I hope OS3 won't make the SNV more difficult to edit, by adding a zillion parameters to the effects etc - that's one of the SNVs real strengths...it's a doddle to program and everything is very accessible. There is beauty in simplicity - so please Novation, don't over-engineer it...life is too short to spend precious time tweaking the air-humidity parameter of some new mega-reverb algorithm!

Haz

Message 23/24             24-Mar-99  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Phill

Thanks for the comment...

The Reverb has been enhanced but as you so rightly point out there is a beauty with simplicity...To this end the reverb has a "Type" parameter intead of "Size" with different reverb simulations available...the only addition is a Colour Parameter.

The focus is simple but effective...

Phill@Novation

Message 24/24             24-Mar-99  @  07:48 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Mickey

Simple and effective - what comes to mind:

* A loop parameter for the env2 and env3
* Filter tracking with user defined center key
* Key tracking to LFO speed ==> "real" FM

... read more on

http://supernova.home.pages.de

Sorry - couldn't resist :-)

Mickey

Viewing all 24 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)