aaa Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup. - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup.

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13             19-Feb-99  @  05:47 PM   -   Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup.

legato

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

HI all , my name is Thomas. I recently bought the supernova (my first synth ever. "He who waits for something good" , right?)

I`m trying to use it with my PC(cubase),
and my Emu ESI4000 sampler. I`ve hooked it up like this: my keyboard is hooked to the midi in on my soundcard , my `nova is hooked to the midi out. My sampler is hooked to the supernova`s Midi OUT.
Ì`m trying to get the Supernova to "ignore" some channels and send them through to to the ESI instead. How can I do this? As it is now , the only way I can get any midi input on the ESI is to hook it to the MIDI THRU on the supernova.But the THRU send EVERYTHING to the ESI and I only want it to get midi on the channels NOT used by the supernova. I`ve read the manual but I can`t find anything spesificially about this.

Hope you guys can help , thanks.

Yours , Thomas

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             19-Feb-99  @  11:29 PM   -   RE: Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup.

Willy

Save yourself a lot of stress and buy a midi through box.

Message 3/13             20-Feb-99  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup.

legato

ok , I might have explained myself poorly. All I`m trying to do is have the Supernova be the first in a midi-chain consisting of TWO units. I assume that is possible?? And why would I want a midi thru box when both the Super and the ESI has Midi out AND thru??

thanks , Thomas

Message 4/13             20-Feb-99  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup.

kevin

Hey Thomas,

1st synth, huh? Smart choice. You weren't lured into the belief that old synths are better. Believe me, they're not!

I agree that the MIDI box
will save you a lot of head-
aches. For example, how are
you going to backup your SN
programs without rewiring?
Many people, myself included, back up every time
they write something they don't want to lose (one crash with data loss will convert you).

Also, with larger setups, MIDI timing latency becomes a problem when devices are
daily-chained.

However, even without the MIDI box, your setup should
work fine. Just choose which channels you want the
SN to use (1-8 for
example) and which you want
the ESI to use (9-16). Make sure that no sounds on the SN are mapped to 9-16 (check GLOBAL channel also) and no
ESI channels are mapped to
1-8 (check GLOBAL channel).
That should do it. BTW, each device *will* receive
all channels, but will ignore those that are not
mapped to play.

Message 5/13             20-Feb-99  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup.

Willy

The SN and the ESI may have one through each. However midi through boxe's have one in and up to ten throughs or more. It saves all the daisy chaining. However i do agree that your set up should work without one.

Message 6/13             02-Apr-99  @  04:37 AM   -   RE: Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup.

robyn

do you know where i can find a trail download for novastation midi-drive or roland vs88 drive .Dont want to go to expense till tried on pc .thanks rob

Message 7/13             21-Apr-99  @  11:07 PM   -   RE: Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup.

chris

Hi Thomas.
The previous replies have probably left you baffled.

If you want to use the Supernova on, say, channels 1 to 8, you have to stop the ESI responding on those channels. Either :

1) Select the Supernova patches manually and don't send any program changes from your sequencer on channels 1 to 8.

or, better :

2) Set ESI Rcv Prog Change to off (MIDI Globals (9/2)), set ESI channels 1 to 8 to unassigned and manually select programmes on ESI channels 9 to 16.

2 is better because you can set the Supernova global channel to e.g. 9 to avoid program changes loading a different performance.

A merge box would help with backups, but it only saves you plugging a diferent MIDI cable into your soundcard. Not the best way to spend sixty quid.

All the best, Chris

Message 8/13             21-Apr-99  @  11:32 PM   -   RE: Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup.

chris

Hi Thomas.
The previous replies have probably left you baffled.

If you want to use the Supernova on, say, channels 1 to 8, you have to stop the ESI responding on those channels. Either :

1) Select the Supernova patches manually and don't send any program changes from your sequencer on channels 1 to 8.

or, better :

2) Set ESI Rcv Prog Change to off (MIDI Globals (9/2)), set ESI channels 1 to 8 to unassigned and manually select programmes on ESI channels 9 to 16.

2 is better because you can set the Supernova global channel to e.g. 9 to avoid program changes loading a different performance.

A merge box would help with backups, but it only saves you plugging a diferent MIDI cable into your soundcard. Not the best way to spend sixty quid.

All the best, Chris

Message 9/13             22-Apr-99  @  10:59 AM   -   RE: Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup.

Al

When you daisy chain, use the thru, not out, so both modules receive the same midi stuff, then just turn off the relevant channel.

Instead of connecting the SN midi-out to sampler midi-in, connect SN midi-thru to sampler midi-in.

So it goes...

sequencer-out to SN-in, SN-thru to sampler-in,
controller-out to sequencer-in.

That's a basic setup, though you won't be able to record nob movements on the SN. That's when you might need the thru box to combine the outs from the SN and controller, so they can go to the single IN of the sequencer.

Message 10/13             22-Apr-99  @  12:30 PM   -   RE: Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup.

kilo

actually, it is a myth that lots of midi thru's create latency... what actually happens is the bandwidth of the midi data gets reduced with each THRU, so the data gets eventually corrupted... but not delayed....

Message 11/13             22-Apr-99  @  11:13 PM   -   RE: Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup.

Banne

I want to reply to Thomas question at the top of this topic.
The easiest and for sure cheapest way of expanding your midi-capacity is to install more soundcards.
Ex.
3 soundcards give you a total of 48 midi-channels with 3 midi-ins and 3 midi-outs. This gives you a separate interface for each instrument you have.
Hope I made life easier for you!

Message 12/13             25-Apr-99  @  05:05 PM   -   RE: Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup.

kilo

yeah... but then you'd need 3 spare irq's - unlikely... better to get a multi-out midi port unit using one irq

Message 13/13             26-Apr-99  @  06:51 PM   -   RE: Cubase>Supernova>sampler setup.

Banne

Just make a separate hardwareprofile with equipment that you don't necessarily have to use while you create music turned off.
For exampel your modem, printer, com-port (if you don't use it to midi).
When you start your computer it wants to know wich hardwareprofile that is going to be used, make the "stripped" choice and then everything proceeds as normal, except for that you can't use what's turned off.
The IRQ:s that are set free is now available for other gear.
This is may not be so easy, but it works fine for me.

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)