aaa Just purchased SuperNova....PROBLEM!!! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

10-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Just purchased SuperNova....PROBLEM!!!

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             28-Feb-99  @  08:29 PM   -   Just purchased SuperNova....PROBLEM!!!

martin.ley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Yesterday I purchased a 32 voice SuperNova from Professional Music Technology in Southend. OS version 2, S/n 005122 Brand new unopened box.

Upon very first power-up today I was very dissapointed in the sound quality of this instrument. I'm sure that this is due to a fault. The problems are as follows:

With the volume control set at a moderate level listening to the output amps there is an extremely high level of hiss.

The hiss can be heard from both the headphone and master outputs.

A quantising / aliasing type of noise can be heard in some channels while playing notes and as they finish.

The pan control doesn't conform to your output numbering but that isn't a problem as anyone can re-patch the outputs.

I setup a simple program with no modulation or effects whatsoever. I added this program to a performance with each parts' pair going to the respective aux outputs to test all the output amps.

I won't go into anymore detail about my tests but my findings were:

No hiss on any output when there were no effects introduced. However, it returns if either Reverb or Chorus/flanger is added (even slightly) then the effect is removed the hiss would not go until I'd switched to another program and back.

I expect either a complete replacement subject to testing in the shop and at the studio. Or my money back in full.

Regards

Martin Ley

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             01-Mar-99  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: Just purchased SuperNova....PROBLEM!!!

Phill

Please contact Sharon Renew at the Novation Office...01628 828888...

This seems to be very strange...this appears to be some kind of rare hardware problem...

Phill@Novation

Message 3/4             01-Mar-99  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: Just purchased SuperNova....PROBLEM!!!

Mickey

For sure a faulty unit. I had to exchange my first Supernova because of a scratch on the display. The second Supernova had almost the same hiss that you mention. The third was ok - no scratch & no noise. Just get yourself a replacement unit, because the Supernova outs are are really absolutely quite !

Mickey.

Message 4/4             03-Mar-99  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: Just purchased SuperNova....PROBLEM!!!

martin.ley

Thanks all, spoken with Sharon, delivered SuperNova to PMT Monday night. I understand the replacement will be soak / quality tested before it leaves Novation. I anticipate picking up the unit Thursday. I'll inform the HelpForum my findings...

Martin.

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)