aaa Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival?

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13             28-Feb-99  @  10:51 PM   -   Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival?

jer

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Phill,

It's been some time since you mentioned the 3.0 upgrade. Do you have any new projections on when that might occur?

One reason I am anxious is that I have been writing music using the OS1 original sounds. The more I use, the harder it will be to accomodate the OS3 sound dump. But I consider this to be an important action since you must install the new sounds to take advantage of the upgrades. It's unfortunate that an OS upgrade demands the scrapping of previously used sounds if you want improved response, but alas there is no good alternative. I want the improved features therefore I must labor.

Also, I have not read a response to the concern over the bad clicking that occurs when part volume moves via midi control or by moving the part level knob. This is an even more serious problem when using a MIDI wind controller affecting part volume (level). Will OS3 address this issue?

Don't worry, I still love my SuperNova.

Thanks,
Jer

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             01-Mar-99  @  05:07 AM   -   RE: Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival?

Spike

Phil,

This has been worrying me as well. I'll just have too finish before OS3. What worries me more is that I have all the sound names in the Logic environment. If the new OS has new sounds and new names, I don't want to have to type 4 banks of sounds + performances.
Could you please, please even pretty please put the names in a text file as part of the upgrade or on the download site.

Spike

Message 3/13             01-Mar-99  @  01:23 PM   -   RE: Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival?

Mickey

Hi

Jer: Phill and Kinetik stated that they will look into the clicking issue for OS3. Don't know if they suceeded though - Kinetik ? Also, they promised to ship OS3 _very soon_ after the Musikmesse... and this time I believe them :-) ...although the term _very soon_ is still open and makes me nervous...

Spike: Having to type the names is not necessary. Even with the first version of my Supernova SoundDiver adaption it was possible to gather the names by SysEx. If you don't have SoundDiver, I'll drop you a copy of the patches as soon as OS3 (and coincidantly my SoundDiver adaption for OS3) is ready.

Cheers,

Mickey / NovaStation admin.
Visit http://supernova.home.pages.de

Message 4/13             01-Mar-99  @  09:38 PM   -   RE: Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival?

Spike

Cheers Mickey,

I would appreciate that as I do not yet have Soundiver

Spike

Message 5/13             01-Mar-99  @  11:29 PM   -   RE: Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival?

monkboy

Yes, I echo this, too. I would hope that this update hasn't been put on some backburner given the new and less expensive release of this Nova.

That would be as ignorant as Waldorf putting Wave updates under the rug in light of the fact that they sell more Pulses and XTs.

I would hope Novation doesn't do this, too.

Message 6/13             02-Mar-99  @  09:06 AM   -   RE: Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival?

Kinetik

Loading in a new OS doesn't erase previously saved sounds from memory. When OS3 is released, Novation plan to also release a separate Sysex dump which will contain all the new sounds which brand new OS3 SuperNovas will have pre-installed when they leave the factory. Whether you replace your current sounds with these new ones is entirely up to you.

OS3 is coming very soon. It is important to realise that both the Nova and SuperNova have essentially the same operating system. Therefore, many new features which have been developed for the Nova have been included into OS3 for SuperNova owners. (of course there are a few exceptions - the SuperNova won't be able to handle audio input processing for example)

This means that while the Nova specification has been enhanced and altered over the last few months, Novation have decided to include these extras into OS3 as well. Unfortunately, this joint development has delayed OS3 a little, but I'm sure when you see the final result, you'll feel the wait has been worth it.
As Phill has mentioned elsewhere, OS3 will also contain something very special and new just for SuperNova owners.

Message 7/13             03-Mar-99  @  04:30 PM   -   RE: Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival?

stevoe

sounds exciting!! You lot at Novation are a real tease though. I am salivating at the prospect of OS3 now!!!

Message 8/13             04-Mar-99  @  03:04 PM   -   RE: Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival?

Willy

Does loading in the new sounds erase the performance settings as well as the programme settings?

Message 9/13             04-Mar-99  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival?

Kinetik

It will depend on whether Phill saves Programs and Performances together in a single MIDI data file, or whether he makes two files - one for Performances and another for Programs.

Make your preference known to Phill.....

Message 10/13             09-Mar-99  @  07:58 AM   -   RE: Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival?

jer

Kinetic: Thanks. You followed my initial e-mail with a couple good follow-ups. However, I'm well aware that an OS upgrade doesn't replace your sounds unless you do a full SysEx install.

My point was... the longer the wait for OS3, the more sounds I use from OS1. I upgraded to OS2 but didn't dump the new sounds because I was under the impression that OS3 would change many things, so why go through sound upgrades twice? I do regular SysEx backups so if I need to retrieve old sounds for tracks conceived before the OS3 arrival, I can.

So here I wait ever so patiently, using more and more OS1 sounds, clicks and all. But don't mind me, I have no regrets...

Sincerely,
Jer Olsen

Message 11/13             10-Mar-99  @  10:26 AM   -   RE: Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival?

Phill

Sounds:

It's up to you guy's if you want to use the new sounds or not...you do not have to...all the olde stuff will work still...ur old sounds made on V1 & V2 will work fine on OS3 but will not use any of the new features...I will create many new sounds that use the FX configs & Morphing...it sounds great belive me!!! but ultimatley it's up to you if you want to load em or not.

OS3 Availability:

The bad news is Official release data is now mid April.

The good news is a beta version will be on the site by the end of this week..

...good suggestion Mickey!!

Most new things work...all the bugs mentioned fixed...extra voices not yet.

Cheers,

Phill

Message 12/13             10-Mar-99  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival?

stevoe

Before I download the beta version, you mentioned that "most new things work". When you say this do you mean that most of the new functions are all implemented in the Beta and work brilliantly but some things have been left out for the full version in April. Or do you mean that some new functions on the Beta are buggy?

Message 13/13             10-Mar-99  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: Estimate on SNova OS3 arrival?

Phill

The Beta version I am fooling about with now has...New Reverb Algorithum but types have not been fully developed...sounds really good though...smooth as silk, all the MIDI stuff like Arp Pattern input via MIDI and the Arp Bug and delay Clicking fixed...Effects configs are there and the morph is there...but the balance on the last effect does not do what it's meant to yet but you can use it. Awesome possibilities with this one!
The extra voices are not available yet...pretty functional really...I will test the latest compilation tomorrow and post on the site tomorrow afternoon/evening English time if it's OK.

Phill@Novation

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)