aaa OS Enhancements - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: OS Enhancements

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             05-Mar-99  @  11:04 PM   -   OS Enhancements

cackirk

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Just a couple of things that would make this great Synth... an even greater one.

LFO Speed
It would be useful if the cycle time of the LFO was displayed in milliseconds in addition to the level (0-127). This would make programming easier.

MIDI Clock Synchronisation
When the LFOs are synced to midi clock and the clock parameter in Global Mode is set to Ext the LFO does not work unless the sequencer is sending out MIDI clock. It would be better if they behaved as if the setting was Int until the Supernova receives the clock, when they should of course Sync. This is a problem with Cubase and Logic, neither of which send the clock unless they are playing or recording. With Cakewalk the MIDI clock is sent all the time, so the problem does not arrive.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             06-Mar-99  @  04:34 PM   -   RE: OS Enhancements

Willy

If the midi clock signal was sent all the time the synth would never stop. Even when you wanted it to. I don't see why you would want the SN to play when you are not playing or recording on cubase?

Message 3/8             06-Mar-99  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: OS Enhancements

lostwire

Just read this @ Sonic State: "As for OS3.0 for the Supernova. It gives regular users (16voices) 20 voices, and with the voice expension you get 40 instead of 32 voices. Other features include the fact that you now can route the effects the way you like". Sounds nice but what about the vocoder & the audio inputs? It would be a HUGE mistake for Novation not to offer that as an upgrade.

Message 4/8             06-Mar-99  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: OS Enhancements

cackirk

If you use Cakewalk, and it is set to send midi clock, it will send midi clock all the time, not just when you are playing or recording. The advantage is that you can have the SN set to Ext and the synced arpegiator and LFO's work because they are receiving the clock even when Cakewalk is not playing or recording.

The SN doesn't play all the time, it just plays normally. In Cubase if the Arpeggiator or LFO's are synced to midi clock and the SN is set to Ext the LFO's won't cycle and if the arpeggiator is active you won't here anything unless Cubase is either recording or playing back.

Now the reason this is a pain is that suppose you just want to audition some sounds with the arpeggiator, you have to turn the SN to internal or have Cubase/Logic playing or recording with everything muted.

Of course Steinberg and/or Emagic could sort this out, but I can't get Steinberg to sort out more fundemental problems (they never replied to my E-mail about problems I have had with 3.6r2). In fact I'm thinking of switching to Logic when it goes to 4 as it will then run on Windows NT4 at last.

Hope this explains what I mean better.

Message 5/8             07-Mar-99  @  02:01 AM   -   RE: OS Enhancements

kevin

I agree that this is somewhat of a pain.
I got spoiled using my Nord's ARP which, though not
nearly as extensive as the
SN's, does play back as long
as it's getting MIDI clock,
whether my sequencer is run-
ning or not. It allows me
to mess with the sound with-
out the extra step of solo-
ing its sequencer track and
starting the sequencer, etc. Anything that takes a
few extra unnecessary seconds to set up interupts
the flow. I vote for this
OS change also.

Message 6/8             07-Mar-99  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: OS Enhancements

cackirk

And the reason that the Supernova is so good is that it's technology that doesn't get in the way of the creative flow. These little enhancements can have quite a big impact.

Message 7/8             07-Mar-99  @  11:04 PM   -   RE: OS Enhancements

Mickey

I agree - this feature (I think I called it "substituting internal clock when synchronizing externally without incoming clock") has been requested for ages on the wishlist at NovaStation1 - http://supernova.home.pages.de

Good that someone finds it annoying, too.
Mickey.

Message 8/8             10-Mar-99  @  10:06 AM   -   RE: OS Enhancements

Phill

Noted...Funny thats hw I wanted it in the begining...

We will look into it..

Phill@Novation

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)