aaa SUPERNOVA 2 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

11-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: SUPERNOVA 2

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/18             10-Mar-99  @  12:34 PM   -   SUPERNOVA 2

notype

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm buying a Supernova for me the next month, but I can't still understand some stuff about the Supernova:

1. Why it doesn't have digital output?
2. Why it doesn't have analogue input?
3. Why the knobs aren't like the ones on the 4CONTROL (Generator controller)?
4. Why doens't the analogs outputs are XLR balanced?

Can someone at Novation answear my simple questions?
Because this feutures are so simple to implement and so logical to exist that I can't understand...

Helder Luis
notype@mail.telepac.pt

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             12-Mar-99  @  10:34 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

cackirk

Well I expect it is because digital IO adds to the cost. Not all users want them, but even if they are optional it still adds to the development costs. The outputs on the SN are really very quiet and for many applications having 8 outputs means you don't need to record it.

With 8 Outputs only ADAT would really make sense and I know of no digital mixer except the O2R that offers enough ADAT IO to allow you to connect everything up digitally.

I can't think of many synths that have balanced outputs. The EMU Emulator samplers do of course, but look at what they cost.

OF the Virtual Analogue Synths only the Korg Z1 has ADAT as an option, but what's the point of using 8 Channels of ADAT for a synth with only 2 outputs? Oh and by the way the SN is better IMHO.

Message 3/18             14-Mar-99  @  12:02 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

chris

Korg Z1 vs Supernova

Not necessarily better: just different. I've got both, and they fill in each other's deficiencies extremely well. There are analog sounds on the Z1 you can't get out of the Supernova, but the reverse is also true: in spades.

Message 4/18             14-Mar-99  @  12:06 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

fin

Purely out of interest, I'd like to know what sounds you can't create on the SN that you can on the Z1.

Not being touchy here, just interested.

Fin

Message 5/18             14-Mar-99  @  09:03 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

Spike

>Purely out of interest, I'd like to know what sounds you can't create on the SN that you can on the Z1.

The soft sound of keys being pressed......sorry its a Monday

Spike

Message 6/18             14-Mar-99  @  11:59 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

stevoe

The Z1, being a modelling synth is mainly geared for the more realisitic acoustic sounds, although it is also extremely capable of producing analogue sounds, but to me lacks the cutting edge and simplicity provided by the Supernova. I am fortunate to own both and generally use the Z1 for realistic brass or piano type sounds. I must stress that this is underusing its ability...

Message 7/18             14-Mar-99  @  11:59 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

stevoe

The Z1, being a modelling synth is mainly geared for the more realisitic acoustic sounds, although it is also extremely capable of producing analogue sounds, but to me lacks the cutting edge and simplicity provided by the Supernova. I am fortunate to own both and generally use the Z1 for realistic brass or piano type sounds. I must stress that this is underusing its ability...

Message 8/18             15-Mar-99  @  09:05 AM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

Phill

In reply to Helder louis questions...

Digial I/O and audio inputs would be nice but would have significantly added to the cost and development time.

We realise that some people would like these features and so input were included on the nova.

Message 9/18             16-Mar-99  @  08:46 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

cackirk

The reason I think the Supernova is better than the Z1 is that for Analogue sounds it has 12, 18 and 24dB/Octave filters and an overdrive control etc. I also think the SN filters sound better. The Z1 only has 12dB/Octave filters, although you can cascade them to get 24dB/Octave, but that doesn't make for easy programming. The Z1 also only has 2 outputs instead of 8, a shame on such a powerful instrument.

The Z1 has a fantastic modulation matrix, you can modulate anything with anything. The VPM possibilities of the Z1 are very interesting. The modelling really need a computer editor to get anything much out of it. Also I don't really want a synth to emulate acoustic instruments, they don't sound right played on a keyboard.

I agree that these two synths are very different compliment each other very well. If you need a really good master keyboard and can afford it buy both!

Message 10/18             17-Mar-99  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

r_fuse

hey all
my english is really bed bad anyway:HOW CAN I GET SN 2?
im in tulsa,ok,usa.....for now
and whats the $?
thank you people
rudolph

Message 11/18             17-Mar-99  @  02:01 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

Phill

Supernova is available in the USA. Supernova Keyboard was shown at Frankfurt...no release date at present...check NEWS page on this site for the details currently available.

Phill@Novation

Message 12/18             18-Mar-99  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

Chris

Two sounds I can get out of the Z1 easily, that I just can't seem to get the Supernova to do: Oxygene strings, and Magnetic Fields 2 lead. Plus the Z1 has more control over sync, more choice of LFOs, etc. But the Supernova's ring modulation percussion and pulse-width leads (as well as many other things) are unbeatable. As I said, I'm glad I've got both. I'd buy the JP8080 as well if I had the cash (and since I don't care about multimbrality too much now I've got the Supernova).

There's one "gotcha" with using the Z1 as a master keyboard for the Supernova: when the Z1 is configured to retrieve the arpeggiator settings stored with a patch, it sends controller events and NRPNs that send the Nova sound completely crazy. Irritating. At least you can turn this feature off.

Chris

Message 13/18             19-Mar-99  @  10:43 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

cackirk

Don't bother with the JP8080, it is too similar to the SN. The only thing the JP8080 has which the Supernova doesn't is inputs, but a Wardorf Microwave XT or a Nova will give you those. Also it has a rather Bizarre midi arrangement. Have a look at the Wardorf Microwave XT, totally different unique sound and its got a stereo input.

I have a Korg Prophecy which is obviously fairly similar to the Z1 and I find that they each have their own unique sound. The Prophecy can do a number of things that the Supernova can't, usually where the multistage envelopes, dual filter setup or plethor of LFO's are used. However the converse is also true, it is very difficult to reconstruct SN patches for all but the most basic sounds on the Prophecy.

In terms of programming the SN is so much quicker and more fun. The Prophecy is a nightmare to program due to its huge complexity and far from ideal interface.

Message 14/18             20-Mar-99  @  04:50 AM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

bohemian

no mars music has supernova for sale,i've find one of dealers-Kraft Music
does anybody know plase,where i can get novation produckts in usa....please!

rudolph

Message 15/18             20-Mar-99  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

lostwire

You can get them through Rogue Music in NYC. http://www.roguemusic.com/

Message 16/18             21-Mar-99  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

Punter

mixing the Nova synths with any good digital or 'imatative' synth is a good policy cos you get the best of both worlds.

Message 17/18             21-Mar-99  @  05:14 PM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

Mickey

Yep - totally agreed. For instance adding a K5000 to your Supernova sounds great.

Mickey

Message 18/18             22-Mar-99  @  09:00 AM   -   RE: SUPERNOVA 2

Phill

Oxygene Strings and Magnetic Fields Lead eh?

Any others you particularly like in the Z1 or for that matter in the JP8080?

Please let me know...they may just appear in V3 sounds!!

Please refer to our USA page for details on USA Dealers.

Phill@Novation

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)