aaa Trouble loading OS3 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Trouble loading OS3

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14             09-Apr-99  @  07:07 PM   -   Trouble loading OS3

matt.young

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey -

I'm using Cubase 3.65 VST to try to load OS3 into the supernova, and haven't had luck yet. It used to be that about halfway through (no matter what the tempo, I had it around 70bpm), I'd get a "Packet Error" message.

After several tries, I can now only get just past 'receiving O/S 3' and then immediately get a packet error.

is there any difference in the instructions for loading os/3 versus 2? Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Matt

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             09-Apr-99  @  07:38 PM   -   RE: Trouble loading OS3

Phill

Here is the proceedure..

Download OS3 from our site in downloads...

Load it into your sequencer package...

Switch on the Supernova with buttom 8 of the Part edit section held down...

Supernova now expects an Operating system...

Play the MIDI file.

If you get a packet error..this is probably not the fault of the file but is due to the software/Hardware setup you have...

This applies especially to PC's where certain sound cards in certain computers running different Operating systems...sometimes simply cannot do it.

If you are a member of the supernova 3 party site and are tring to load a version I posted to the email list, There may be a problem with the browser decoding MAC Binhex...this should not occur normally but if there are persistent problems just download the file from this site and try again.

Atari's seem to be real resiliant and will almost certainly work.

The only differenece in the proceedure for loading the new system as opposed to V2 is there is no need to load total.mid as this is only sounds.

Phill@Novation

Message 3/14             09-Apr-99  @  09:50 PM   -   RE: Trouble loading OS3

epicantic

Matt,

I have a crappy PC, that free version of Cubase, but a MusicQuest PC MIDI Interface card.

I used to just use my SoundBlaster joy stick port, but for ME, that was always buggin' out and not transferring the data to anything.

Have you had problems doing OS updates on ANY other synths of yours? What PC - MIDI card are you using?

Message 4/14             09-Apr-99  @  11:58 PM   -   RE: Trouble loading OS3

cackirk

I've had problems that were caused by my midi thru box. Because it splits the signal 4 ways and the output from many soundcards is quite weak you can get problems. If you have a similar setup, try disconnecting everything from the thru box except the synth you want to send sysex to.

Also if you send the midi from the soundcard to a synth and then put the midi thru from the synth to the thru box you may get better results.

Message 5/14             10-Apr-99  @  03:49 AM   -   RE: Trouble loading OS3

jason

I'm having the same problem. I'm using a B&W (blue and white) Mac G3, with a Mega Wolf remus 2 port serial card, a MOTU Midi Express XT, and Cubase VST 24. When I try to load os3 it says "packet error".

Message 6/14             10-Apr-99  @  10:53 AM   -   RE: Trouble loading OS3

Phill

Maybe the file you are using is corrupt...Download again and try again...

Try altering the tempo of the sequencer to a lower value...

Does the packet error happen at exactly the same place every time? If yes more than likey the file is corrupt...if no then it is more than likey something to do with the hardware/Software that is running...

I dont know how well freemidi copes with such large chunks of data...

Above all try direct 1 to 1 connection with the computer...Disconnect everything else...midi out of the interface to midi ion on the sn.

Phill@Novation

Message 7/14             10-Apr-99  @  01:18 PM   -   RE: Trouble loading OS3

Mickey

I've heard _many_ bad things concerning how the MotU Interfaces handle SysEx data... try to get hold of another MIDI interface... borrow one or even better don't support MotU any longer... I know I sound harsh... I have been contacting MotU lots of times... requesting drives that actually work... they have not been very cooperative. My Midi Express XT was the first and last MotU device. I'll buy an AMT8 if its shipping.

Mickey.

Message 8/14             11-Apr-99  @  12:59 AM   -   RE: Trouble loading OS3

bruce_aisher

The MOTU Midi Express XT has bug in the driver s/w for the PC, which may corrupt large SysEx sends. I was told this by MOTU themselves over 6 months ago. However, still no fix !

Bruce.

Message 9/14             11-Apr-99  @  01:15 AM   -   RE: Trouble loading OS3

jason

Thanks Mickey, I,m actually going to try the new Opcode usb midi interface. BTW I have been going to your web site for over a year now, and I think it's great. Thanks again. (And thank you to Phill, I will download it and try again, but I think that Mickey is right, my Midi Express XT is probably the problem).

Message 10/14             11-Apr-99  @  01:17 AM   -   RE: Trouble loading OS3

jason

Also, if anyone else is having this problem please post.

Message 11/14             11-Apr-99  @  12:22 PM   -   RE: Trouble loading OS3

Mickey

Really dumb is that the SysEx bug has been introduced in the 1.02 driver. The 1.00 drivers work better (although far from really good).

Mickey.

Message 12/14             11-Apr-99  @  11:33 PM   -   RE: Trouble loading OS3

matt.young

Hey -

I've solved the problem with my system and just wanted to let you all know how in case this works for anyone else.

Turns out Netscape wasn't downloading the file correctly - if it looks like the track is HUGE when you open the midi file (something like 2400 measures of data), then it probably didn't download correctly.

Use IE to download the midi file from the website and it might work out for you.

BTW, I use Layla as a MIDI card/Digital Audio IO. Fantastic piece of equipment.

New OS is great, Phill!

Matt
http://attack.oit.duke.edu/

Message 13/14             21-Apr-99  @  01:36 AM   -   RE: Trouble loading OS3

nixobeee

Just would like to mention I'm also having the sysex send problem with my f***g MOTU midiexpress XT. Tried everything humanly possible. Aaaargh ! I want my V3 in the box !

Message 14/14             21-Apr-99  @  11:28 AM   -   RE: Trouble loading OS3

chris

I used Windows Media player to send the OS and it worked fine.

Chris

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)