aaa Noise from Drumstation's Outputs - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Noise from Drumstation's Outputs

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             21-May-99  @  05:43 PM   -   Noise from Drumstation's Outputs

a_vermeule

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi all,

I own a Drumstation V1 (and firmware 1.0) and I am experiencing _a_lot_ of unwanted hiss from all the Drumstation's outputs. It is not a white noise, but a high frequenqy hiss. Even when the gain level on my mixing desk is set to a normal level, you will clearly hear the unwanted hiss.

I have used several high quality cables, even one with a 220 ohm resistor for connecting unbalanced equipment (like the drumstation) to a balanced input. (my desk) It does not matter which output I use; the hiss just stays..:-(
Maybe the power supply is the source?

I am thinking of selling my V1 and buying the Drumstation V2 with firmware 1.3 becasue I like the drumstation very much. But will this solve things??

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             25-May-99  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: Noise from Drumstation's Outputs

a_vermeule

Anyone? Please?

Message 3/8             26-May-99  @  12:34 AM   -   RE: Noise from Drumstation's Outputs

Rahh.....

what about through the headphones socket - does it still hiss?

Message 4/8             27-May-99  @  06:41 PM   -   RE: Noise from Drumstation's Outputs

a_vermeule

Thanks for your e-mail!

No, the headphone output does not exhibit the hiss behavior...For those who care, I did some more research:

Iīve used an osciloscope on the Power supply (PSU4) and it did not show any "rimples". Since this PSU is OK, it cannot be the source of the hiss...

Furthermore, I used the osciloscope on the the separate outputs, but it did not show a significant presence of a hiss either! (I only saw the normal amount of noise (20 mV))

Personally, I think that the hiss is caused by the following combination:

1. The output signal of the Drumstationīs separate outputs is very weak.

2. Because of the weak signal, I have to amplify each output with almost 50dB on my desk, in order to get an acceptable signal.

The 50 dB on every output will make any sort of hiss/noise heard ofcourse. However, since the headphone output does not produce the hiss when amplified with 50 dB, I think the output signal of the headphone is much more cleaner than that of the separate outs.

Is this by design? If so, has this been solved in the Drumstation V2?? Phil?

Regards,
Alex

Message 5/8             20-Jun-99  @  11:10 AM   -   RE: Noise from Drumstation's Outputs

a_vermeule

Hi All,

Last weekend, I took my Drumstation V1 to the local synth store to compare it 'live' with the Drumstation V2. We hooked them both up (using all 8 outs on both drumstations) to a Spirit 328 digital desk to rule out any noise produced by the desk.

First of all, the Drumstation V2 did _not_ produce the hiss at all!
It sound was crispy clear. When we boosted the gain of the desk to the max of every channel, there was some noise auditable, but this was simple 'white noise' and still acceptable.

Furthermore, the sound quality seemed better. As if the Drumstation V1 used 12 bit samples and the Drumstation V2 used 16 bit samples...Especially the TR909 closed- & open-hihat sounded a lot better.

As you can understand, I wanted this improved Drumstation very much!
And in the end, I bought the damn thing. So now I own two drumstations...

One remark for Novation: Before you ship a piece of gear, please make sure it will work they way the customer wants it to work. You have this nice "Tell us what you want" button on your website...Well I know what I want: quality products! Please do not ship unfinished products (Drmst V1, Nova) otherwise, you will only end up with very dissatisfied customers...
like me.

Regards,
Alex

Message 6/8             22-Jun-99  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: Noise from Drumstation's Outputs

K

WELL, you say that... but then all Novation get's from other posters' is hassle to release products faster.... you can't win i guess as a manufacturer....

Message 7/8             22-Jun-99  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: Noise from Drumstation's Outputs

chris

I only hassle Novation when they break promises. If something isn't ready, they shouldn't announce it. Or advertise it (like the six month old OS3 adverts)

Chris

Message 8/8             23-Jun-99  @  10:15 AM   -   RE: Noise from Drumstation's Outputs

zgyg

It's true.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)