aaa supernova vs mks 80 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: supernova vs mks 80

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             09-Nov-99  @  01:27 PM   -   supernova vs mks 80

waldorfq

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Can supernova sound like superjupiter, OBxa,synthex,prophet 5 and CS 80.I does synthesizer on a sample cd.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             09-Nov-99  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: supernova vs mks 80

noname

To a certain extend it is possible to emulate some of the characteristics of the synths you mentioned, where the Super Jupiter would probably be the closest in sound. However, the Super Nova / Nova has its own unique sound character. It doesn't look like a good idea to me to try and emulate the sound of the classic originals for a Sample CD - using anything other than the original synth. After all that is why people buy Sample Cds.

Then again I might have totally misunderstood your message and you where saying that you are using sample CDs in place of an analog synth.

Message 3/6             12-Nov-99  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: supernova vs mks 80

Phill

I have a JP6, JP8, Juno 106 & MKS 80

We used these as benchmarks as well as others, Check:

A003 Velo 303
A021 U-no Polysynth 1 ( get the pun )
A036 Obie Paddiviv

It can do it really well.

Phill

Message 4/6             13-Nov-99  @  04:39 AM   -   RE: supernova vs mks 80

88keys

I just received my Nova yesterday. It's wonderful. I fill like I've purchased ten different synths from the goldem era and I have them all in a nifty little package that sits right there in front of me. Love it!

As far as the synths you named, and if you are making a CD-ROM of sounds that are supposed to be those particular synths, I tend to agree with "noname", that using the actual synths would be better, simply because they are the actual synths. Nonetheless, though, there's no doubt in my mind that the Nova nails some sounds from all of those. So far, I've just run through the presets. There's a great deal of playing pleasure right there.

I tried suggesting on the Novation site (hope I did it right... under "what do you want") that they either have "set-ups" in the operating system, whereby the Nova, by enabling and disabling certain functions (and maybe adding certain configurations if necessary) so as to make the Nova "behave" like a Super Jupiter, or a Yamaha CS-80 (one of my all-time favorites), or various Oberheims, and so on; OR, they could just make the information itself (on paper or web page) readily and easily understandable. For instance... when the Nova is "being" the Super Jupiter, you should enable X number of oscilators, use X type of filter, disable the X function, and enable the X function. And then, on the CS-80, they'd have the same information, and so on. This would be a great starting point for people like me. I had a CS-80 in my studio for about three or four months. It was great. I feel like the Nova can come REALLY close to the signature CS-80 sound (it had many, of course, but the sounds I felt defined it were a certain type of growling, syncing, swirling, ring-mod type sound) but the presets don't have anything that gets as close to it as I feel like it is capable of. So, the information of what can and can't be used, and within what limits, to emulate a CS-80 would come in very handy for someone like me who doesn't recall the actual configuration.

I'm sure it's true that the Nova has it's own sound to an extent, but I believe that the modeling being utilized is literally in place to make it capable of modeling, not a trumpet or guitar or piano, but various vintage (or new, for that matter) analog synths.

I heard a whole room of analog synthesis, and this is probably the best dollar value I've gotten in a little over thirty years of buying keyboards, recording equipment and all the rest.

While I'm at it, I want to than Phill MacDonald for answering some of my questions. He helped me come to a decision, but he was anything but hardsell. The Nova exceeds my expectations.

Message 5/6             13-Nov-99  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: supernova vs mks 80

R-Tek

Hehehehe.......I know this is gonna b a partisan crowd, but, I`m looking for a V-analogue in the nu year and the 2 I really fell 4 when demoed were the Virus and the Nova - any opinions? I`m not sure which I want (I`d settle 4 either) and the sound is Drum an` Bass and a little hop hop. Cheers 4 any help.

Message 6/6             24-Nov-99  @  01:46 PM   -   RE: supernova vs mks 80

Virus b

Supernova compared to the MKS 80, well no comparison what so ever. The MKS 80 leaves the supernova for dead. Its got the punch and warmth but of coarse not the polyphony.
R-tek, go for the Virus b.
It is truly the best.
I dont program synths as a hobby I use them on commercial released records and take it from me the virus will put a big smile on your face. I find myself hardly ever using the Supernova!! True.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)