aaa Problem with long release sounds - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Problem with long release sounds

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             11-Nov-99  @  05:48 AM   -   SN long release sounds

carl

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Can any shed any light on this problem? When in performance mode on the Supernova I find that sounds with long release times make the SN seem to play away all to itself. Even after sending an All Note Off it just sits there playing spurious notes. It's really irritating and making the SN almost unusable.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             11-Nov-99  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: Problem with long release sounds

Oxo

Maybe your Performance effects has a delay with high feedback level ?

Try turning all effects sends to zero and see if it still happens.

Message 3/9             11-Nov-99  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: Problem with long release sounds

carl

>Maybe your Performance effects has a >delay with high feedback level ?

>Try turning all effects sends to zero >and see if it still happens.

I've tried that. It's definitely not an FX related problem as turning down the release setting stops it straight away. I can only describe the sound it makes as like bleedthrough i.e the oscilator is still playing, but instead of the envelope closing once the note has finished, it is chattering open and closed indefinitely.

Message 4/9             11-Nov-99  @  07:23 PM   -   RE: Problem with long release sounds

CK

I don't really understand this, as the envelope starts the release 'section' when the SN receives a note off (ie you release a key or send an all notes off command). If you have a very long release time it will of course go on sounding after you have sent an all notes off.

By the way what OS version are you using?

Message 5/9             11-Nov-99  @  07:55 PM   -   RE: Problem with long release sounds

carl

CK, this is most certainly a weird one! FYI I'm using OS 3.1 beta 2 on a 32 voice expanded SN, *but* this has been happening for a good few versions now, it just seems to have gotten worse.

The release envelopes are not incredibly long ones, it happens on a good number of presets. I'm not at my studio just now so I can't remember all of the names, but Nova Railway *always* does this.

It also does not sound like just a long release. As I was trying to describe earlier it's like a bleed-through sort of noise which goes on indefinitely. It sounds to me as if the amplifier envelope is opening and closing, like a wire is loose somewhere!!! (I feel as if i've got one too now!!)

Carl

Message 6/9             12-Nov-99  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: Problem with long release sounds

CK

Carl, what sequencer are you using?

I think the problem is that your sequencer isn't simply sending an all notes off message, it's also setting various midi controls to zero. Look at the midi controller specification for the SN and you'll see why this would cause a problem.

Out of interest what do you send an All Notes Off message for?

I hope this helps.

Message 7/9             12-Nov-99  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: Problem with long release sounds

carl

CK,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely try that. I'm not back into work until Monday but I will check into what is being sent out and experiment with some settings.

I'm using Cubase VST 4.1 on the Mac with an Opcode Studio 4. The Supernova is on a port by itself so isn't being confused by any other midi info. I don't have the reset on stop function enabled as this *can* cause problems with some bits of gear. The only time I ever use All Notes Off is if the computer (rarely) crashes and leaves loads of notes on throughout my system. My problem doesn't happen after an All Note Off, it usually happens whilst the sequencer is still playing.

I am very grateful for your thoughts on this.

Carl

Message 8/9             13-Nov-99  @  02:47 PM   -   RE: Problem with long release sounds

ro

hi carl,did you have same problem with old version vst 4.0?i'm using mac too.after "up" to 4.1 my g3 crashed and chrashed......and the timing is fucked and.......it's just so many things

Message 9/9             07-Dec-99  @  04:58 AM   -   RE: Problem with long release sounds

silversuzy

Link?: Link

something similar happens to me when i use the factory patch 'sintillator'...
the 'blip's get gradually furthur and furthur apart, but if i send sustain pedal messages to apply to other parts, the sintillator patch somehow just keeps going and by the end of the song the blips are minutes apart.
i've only had my nova a few days so i haven't sussed how it's done - but that may help...?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)