aaa Nova's vocoder - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Nova's vocoder

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             01-Dec-99  @  09:29 AM   -   Nova's vocoder

moiroud

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi!
I'm realling thinking about buying the Nova but I need some more info about its vocoder.
Actually I'm wondering if you can "modulate" your vocoded voice thanks to the keyboard(??).Okok,keep cool,here's what I mean.
For instance,if I sing a note(C)through the vocoder,can I change the pitch of my voice by playing notes on my master keyboard(like with samplers:you record a sample,map it on the keyboard,and play it at different pitches)and get a G for example?
Sorry if my question sounds stupid,but I saw a guy doing that in a gig recently("dax riders" if you've heard of them):he was talking in a mic plugged into his synth,and he could change his voice pitch by playing notes on the keyboard.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             01-Dec-99  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: Nova's vocoder

juno-sith

Yes, he probably have a vocoder, and there is absolutely nothing silly concerning asking about vocoders, although i might have appeard silly when i tested the Nova in a shop, shouting "kraftwerk" in a mic for fifteen minutes with headphones on might appear silly to some people ;)

Technically, the vocoder splits the modulator signal in a number of bands(40 on the Nova) and reads the amplitude of those. Then it splits the carrier signal too, and then applies the amplitude of the modulator to the bands of the carrier signal and then puts together the whole chunk(carrier) again, and itīs the carrier thats heard.. This means that the resulting sound will get the pitch and a little timbre from the carrier, but the amplitude and the some of the timbre will be decided by the modulator..

Depending on the carrier signal, the vocoder can sound anything from robotic(like Kraftwerk) to angelic(like AIR) but can also be used more subtly like on Believe with cher.

You donīt have to limit yourself to vocals either, you can vocode drumbeats, guitars and hell, you could even vocode apefarts just as long as it sound good =)

Message 3/15             06-Dec-99  @  04:23 AM   -   RE: Nova's vocoder

mike

Link?:  Link

not to be a stickler, but just for general information  ,

everything juno-sith said is valid except that the effect in Believe by Cher was done using Anteres Autotune and not a vocoder, although the effect is similar 

Peace 

Message 4/15             06-Dec-99  @  08:25 AM   -   RE: Nova's vocoder

Juno-sith

mike:

Actually the effect was made using a Digitech Talker, which is a more vocoder-like effect, although I agree that the effect on Believe sounds exactly like too much autotune, and if I didnīt know that it wasnīt, i would sure think so too..  

http://www.pixelite.com/windaw/techniques/messages/1852.html

Message 5/15             06-Dec-99  @  11:59 AM   -   RE: Nova's vocoder

Juno-sith

I also seen from many sources that the effect was made using Autotune so we donīt really know. It does sound like it could be autotune, but then again ive heard people saying that the Digitech Talker is capable of sounding very autotune. The producer has said that it was made with Talker, and of course they donīt want it to come out that cher has been anywhere near an autotune.  

Just donīt get to the conlucion that itīs made with autotune because it has the obvious pitch quantisation effect, because as we all know the vocoder can do that as well depending on the carrier signal..

Well this is now kinda off-topic now.....

Peace! =)

Message 6/15             12-Dec-99  @  03:10 AM   -   RE: Nova's vocoder

V

yes digitalker, 100% correct per SOS article with the author  

Regards,

V

Message 7/15             12-Dec-99  @  11:03 AM   -   RE: Nova's vocoder

Phill

It was Anteres autotune with 100% pitch correction. A single note as the carrier does not really have enough harmonic spectrum to make any diction clear...

Message 8/15             12-Dec-99  @  11:04 AM   -   RE: Nova's vocoder

Phill

on a Vocoder that is...

Message 9/15             12-Dec-99  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: Nova's vocoder

Juno-sith

Link?: Link

You can read the article at the adress given above, and make up your own opinion..

Message 10/15             12-Dec-99  @  11:47 PM   -   RE: Nova's vocoder

V

now Phil, I'm disapointed in you, you know very well that you should have plugged the Nova's vocoder  

V

Message 11/15             13-Dec-99  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: Nova's vocoder

Phill

I know SOS said this in the interview...

But it was anteres...you try it...

Phill

Message 12/15             16-Dec-99  @  09:11 PM   -   RE: Nova's vocoder

joeri

Link?: Link

Hi Phill,

I'm sorry, but it was the Digitech.  
I know Autotune sounds exactly the same, but you should try the Digitech: it can do exactly this effect as well. Anyway, that's not important: the result important and they did a great job at creating a gimmick. I'll be sending an MP3 sound to you of a sound that I'd like. Check your mail.

Ciao,
Joeri

Message 13/15             28-Dec-99  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: Nova's vocoder

alish

Hey Phil,
if you like, could you explain us how to obtain that 'Cher effect' with the Nova vocoder?
Tried some things out but I miss something (i.e.do I have to mix the original voice and the vocoded signal?)

Thanks

Message 14/15             30-Dec-99  @  06:17 AM   -   RE: Nova's vocoder

Phill

I dont think you can...

It is pitch correction using a harmoniser. Anteres can do it cos you can set the pitch correction as a %.
Setting this to 100% gets this effect.

Message 15/15             30-Dec-99  @  06:52 AM   -   RE: Nova's vocoder

mike

Link?:  Link

Geez, i had no idea this conversation was still going on!   hehehe

I took a look at the article posted by juno-sith, and indeed it does indicate that the digitech talker was used...

HOWEVER, let me just offer this:

about 6 months ago, I worked with one of the producers of the song... we were working on the tune Dove L'Amore, a radio-remix actually, and this very subject came up... according to the producer, it was autotune....
perhaps the digitech talker plus cubase plus nord story was created to make it sound more innovative than it actually was  hehehe or, perhaps the producer just forgot  i can tell you tho, that the majority of the vocals on the record are heavilly autotuned and edited... perhaps this is turning into a conspiracy bigger than the JFK assasination  perhaps we will never know  I just know that if _I_ had to tell a magazine how i engineered something, i would make up some story to make me sound REAL cool too  like i sent the vox out to a speaker, placed underwater, next to an oil pipeline which ran underground, near a subway station, where a certain train runs at 3:15pm that has a certain resonance that enhances the vocals, and mic'd the results  id tell em that, rather than just admit that it was the 'small church' preset in my 480L with all the parameters set at default  ... who knows tho... its just what i was told vs. printed text...

Cher's too old anyways 

Cheers,
Mike

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)