aaa tryin to match a sound - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: tryin to match a sound

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             10-Apr-00  @  03:07 PM   -   tryin to match a sound

p.

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

so i'm fairly new to real synthesis. up until recently i'd played a little with preset sounds but never really started from scatch and never tried to match the sounds i'd heard elsewhere. i've read phil's page on sythesis and it's helped a lot BUT . . . i'm tryin to recreate a sound from rebirth, probably the easiest one i've tried so far and just can't get near it. now i know someone is gonna flame me for tryin to copy a rebirth (aka wanna-be 303) sound, but there is a method to my madness.

anyway, on rebirth i've got a the bass sawtooth with the cutoff filter open all the way, the resonance all the way down, and the env mod and decay open bout halfway, i just can't seem to get the nova to do it.

yes, it's a sawtooth, i've softened it a little and played with the envelope but i'm baffled. just can't get the nova even close. anyone got both rebirth and nova and will give it a shot? i mean, last week i matched a fucked up string sound and i can't even get a 303 bass sound even close. have a feelin someone's got a quick reply that'll send me back to my hole. :-) -p.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             10-Apr-00  @  10:09 PM   -   RE: tryin to match a sound

subtex

Try overdrive/distortion a little delay
and no reverb just mess with the settings untill the sound is to your liking....

Message 3/5             11-Apr-00  @  07:00 PM   -   RE: tryin to match a sound

k

well, use a single oscillator.. an 18db filter, lo-pass - set the freq' to 10 o'clock and the res' to 4pm-o'clock for a starter setting... now, turn the adsr env 1 to attack =1 (fastest), decay=full-right, sustain=1 (fastest), release=1(fastest), ....

Now go to the filter section... assign filter freq' to the Filter Mod-Depth knob and assign that to env-2'....then turn up the Filter Mod-Depth knob full right, add some filter-overdrive if you like...

now... everything happens with the Filter Freq' & Res' (=303 Freq & res) and the Env'-2 controls (=303 Env-Mod & Decay) , but one of the Env'-2 controls works in reverse to a 303(or a clone)...

to turn UP what is the Env-Mod on a 303 clone, turn DOWN the Env'-2 Decay on the Nova...

to INCREASE what is the 303-clone Decay, Increase the Sustain on the Nova Env-2...

So ..303-ENV-MOD = NOVA ENV-2 DECAY (In REVERSE)

and .. 303-DECAY = NOVA ENV-2 SUSTAIN (as normal way round)...

thats about it mate ...it wont sound the same, but that's the principal... that's about right isnt it everyone?...

Message 4/5             12-Apr-00  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: tryin to match a sound

p.

thanks k. exactly what i was lookin for. i'll give it a go tonite. -p.

Message 5/5             12-Apr-00  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: tryin to match a sound

K

whoops.. forgot to add.. set the Env-2 like this:

attack =0

decay = variable

sus = variable

release= 0

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)