aaa New tracks featuring Supernova - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: New tracks featuring Supernova

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             19-Apr-00  @  09:12 AM   -   New tracks featuring Supernova

dtc

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi,

We've just released our first tracks on www.mp3.com/BassDevils. They're made using a Supernova, a Yamaha EX5 and various loops / samples. If anybody has the time, I'd be interested in your opinions. Here's what plays what:

False Scent: Supernova - basses, most lead sounds, trance pad sound, snare roll. EX5 - drums loops, mangled in various ways and played as samples. The main sound for the last section is an EX5 guitar (!!) layered with a Supernova lead.

Coda: Supernova - trance pad sound, softer basses, zipper filter sweep, power chordy ringing sound in the end section. EX5 - really hard basses, the drums ( mangled 909 samples using its sampler), siney strings, whooshes (thanks, Michiel!) and incidental noises.

Snake Beat - the drums are loops with some FDSP processing in parts on the EX5. Everything else (apart from the hard FDSP stab sound from the EX5) is the Supernova (that's not really saying much - there's not much else).

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Darren.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             19-Apr-00  @  09:52 AM   -   RE: New tracks featuring Supernova

How do you find the Ex 5 mixes with the SuperNova?? I have an Ex, and will eventually be getting one of the SuperNova Keyboards later in the year, and I'm curious to know what you think of the combination.

I'll try to check out the tunes tonight  

Si.

Message 3/6             19-Apr-00  @  10:24 AM   -   RE: New tracks featuring Supernova

dtc

Si,

The Supernova and EX5 are pretty good together. Because of the well documented problems on the EX5 with the under-powered processor (you probably know that it's a pain in Performance mode!), I use the Supernova for sounds that need a lot of FX. I use the EX5 for sampling (mainly drums), sonic weirdness and for extra sounds / polyphony when the Supernova runs out (not often!). I don't tend to use any "real" voices, so the Supernova is great for analogue type stuff. Also, the Supernova is better just for getting things going - a few button presses and you've got a Performance set up. Both are excellent synths in terms of sound - I'm always getting something new out of them.

Between the two of them (depending on how much you can get out of the EX5 performance mode) you should be able to get 16 plus instruments running concurrently. Quite a sound, believe me! On this note though, the one thing that I would point out is that both tend towards producing a big, dominant sound. This makes for difficulties in accommodating them in a mix. However, if you want a big, full sound (like we do!) they're the business.

Regards,

Darren

Message 4/6             19-Apr-00  @  05:07 PM   -   RE: New tracks featuring Supernova

Blunted215

I have a track up on idrive that uses the Nova and A3000....similar setup I'd say....

Message 5/6             20-Apr-00  @  04:57 AM   -   RE: New tracks featuring Supernova

Yeah, Performance Mode sucks on the Ex. I don't use it at all now, resorting to recording everything in single voice mode, and this works out okay, if a little awkward when writing a tune as it takes loads of imagination. I might consider getting rid of it when I get the SN Keyboard, as that'll be a great controller.

Anyway, I'll try to get in and take a listen to them tonight, and let you know what I think.

Thanks,

Si.

Message 6/6             20-Apr-00  @  05:57 PM   -   RE: New tracks featuring Supernova

CK

Link?:  No link

Sounds good.

I have a track titled "Moon Chasers" on peoplesound.com which features a number of sounds from the SN including the basslines, strings and most of the special effects. You can find it at www.peoplesound.com/artist/penboa. The page has only just been set up, so it's a bit sparse.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

Regards

CK

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)