aaa Please help this stupid newbie - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Please help this stupid newbie

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             03-Feb-01  @  12:41 AM   -   Please help this stupid newbie

peter

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm a newbie and OK I'm a bit thick. I would appreciate somehelp please with setting my Supernova with Cubase and v1.60 of the studio dev, so that I can get going.

What I'm getting are strange things like not being able to play some programs when set by the studio device because the SN program has the arp set on.

Not being able to set a program on channel 1 via the studio dev - it always goes to SNV Performance.

I don't really understand what the SN settings should be-should global midi be 1 or 16? Should SN be ext or int?

Please could someone tell me how to set up Cubase and the SN.

Willing to take the shit about being thick so long as I can get going.

Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             03-Feb-01  @  08:51 AM   -   RE: Please help this stupid newbie

craig

Hi Peter,
well you're not stupid most people don't know much about the studio modules.

btw, all this info is in the readme file  

1) you've got the last version 1.60 so that's good.

2) global midi channel should be set to 16 in the supernova (this seemed to be the most popular choice, when I did it), this leaves channels 1-8 for each of the 8 parts so there is no overlap, it's the neatest/simplest arrangement I found.

3) In cubase goto Modules->studio modules->setup, opens the studio module setup window (dialog box).
select supernova, then make sure the 2 midi channel boxes have 16 in both of them, (important!)

this will solve all the performance/part selection overlap problems.

to the other issue of arps, if you select a part/patch/sound that has an arp in it, then you won't here anything unless the arp is recieving a clock, ie it is sitting waiting for a clock signal to come in so it can play the sound. There are 2 possible clocks, internal or external. If you set the clock in the supernova to internal, then you'll always hear a sound because the supernova will always provide itself with a clock. But if you want to control the arp clock in time with the rest of your song, then you would want to set the snv clock to external, (ie you change the tempo/bpm of your song, then the arp will still play in time. In this case set the clock in the snv to external. But then of course in this case you have to give the supernova a clock.
What's happening now, is you have your clock set to external but you aren't providing one from cubase. So to set up a clock from cubase to the supernova do this:-
select options->syncronisation, in the sync dialog box (bottom left), sync out section set midi clock out to go to the supernova. (note, if I remember correctly the supernova requires the midi clock for sync not the midi timecode, actually if you set both on that would be ok to since the snv would prolly just ignore the mtc, but anyway just set the midi clock out to go to the supernova).
Now you are providing a clock and when you select a patch in the snv with an arp it will get it's clock from cubase and will be in time with your song. In this case though, I'm pretty sure you have to press play in cubase (even a short one bar loop will do) becasue cubase only sends out clock info when playing.

thats it,
which reminds me one of the things novation "promised" and which alot of other synths do is have an auto clock setting, so that if the external clock is going into the snv it takes the external clock, if the clock then stops (ie you stop cubase) then the arp would sound because it would use the last available external clock as the tempo and carry on, pretty sure the virus does this, anyway just thought I'd mention that.....  

hope this helps
craig

Message 3/6             05-Feb-01  @  10:53 AM   -   RE: Please help this stupid newbie

peter

Thank you verymuch for your time. This has helped alot.

Message 4/6             06-Feb-01  @  05:49 PM   -   RE: Please help this stupid newbie

Rich

Hi,

Do either of you know of a Cubase module for the SN2r?

Rich

Message 5/6             06-Feb-01  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: Please help this stupid newbie

craig

there isn't one but I'm sure a few people would be working on them

Message 6/6             08-Aug-01  @  08:46 PM   -   RE: Please help this stupid newbie

jim.hutchison

Rich did you ever get that cubase driver for SNIIr? If so please let me know where! Jim

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)