aaa I'm totally new... what's in a basic setup?? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: I'm totally new... what's in a basic setup??

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             01-May-97  @  04:55 PM   -   I'm totally new... what's in a basic setup??

gameover

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hey, I'm totally new to this.. but I like the works of
the chemical brothers and the like, I already have a pc(pentium pro)
so what else do i need to make a basic setup? I dont really need
high end stuff, just something i can make some beats for my own
consumption... hope you people can help.... Thanks

Dementiak

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             02-May-97  @  08:06 AM   -   RE: I'm totally new... what's in a basic setup??

I would recommend getting a Yamaha DB50XG Daughterboard in that
case....They are super cheap at around £ 130 (UK sterling)

Make sure you also get a copy of the editing software.....
XG EDIT...written by Gary Gregson...

This software really releases the power of the card
...opening up facilities to rival any synth costing up to
3 times the price...
If you go to the XG review page, you can check out some
RA3 short demo's I quickly created using the card.

Alot of dealers are throwing in a free copy of Cakewalk
Express with the DB50XG card...you can use this to
compose all your tracks....maybe even upgrading to
Cakewalk home studio for a little extra....
which gives 4 audio tracks to input sample loops etc...

Have a listen to the demo's....even tho I knocked each one up in about 30 minutes, they are still pretty good....If you put more effort into a track, the results will certainly achieve the results you specified....

Also, if you find the standard soundblaster soundcard too noisy, you can upgrade the card...however, you can do a small easy modification to the XG daughterboard, which gives it it's own dedicated 1/4 inch mono or stereo output jack/s....I'll do an article on this soon....

Message 3/10             29-Jul-97  @  07:04 AM   -   RE: I'm totally new... what's in a basic setup??

wsf

Totally new myself, but I'm having loads of fun using the ff:
1. Hammerhead drum sequencer by Bram Bos (freeware)wicked!
2. Stomper drum synthesizer (freeware...almost)for creating slamming kiks etc.
3. Vaz vurtual(?)analog synth (demo version; not for public use ;) saves wave files) bouwooaow!!!
4. Making Waves wave file sequencer (unregistered; can't save   but still useful for bouncing to 4track cassette)
5. Gold Wave and Cool Edit (unregistered...but they work!   ) effects, effects, and more effects!

1,2 & 5 you can find links to on this site (kilo4-3 main page).
For Vaz go to http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/9000/index2.html
For Making Waves go to www.pslnet.demon.co.uk

in addition I have a Fostex cassette 4trak, guitar, bass...that's about it! Basic huh?
Hope I was of some help and that you can afford more gear than I could!

More power!
Ratfink

Message 4/10             29-Jul-97  @  10:22 AM   -   RE: I'm totally new... what's in a basic setup??

Kilo

yes Ratfink..... I just got that VAZ thing too....great huh ?.......I'm gonna do a page for it soon....great synth !!!!!

Message 5/10             20-Sep-97  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: I'm totally new... what's in a basic setup??

eckey thumper

how do i start my self up?

Message 6/10             20-Sep-97  @  01:45 PM   -   RE: I'm totally new... what's in a basic setup??

kilo

Well bah gum lad........!!..... what have you got already ?...what pc ?....any synths, outboard, etc etc.....

Message 7/10             27-Sep-97  @  10:58 PM   -   I'm totally new... what's in a basic setup?(KILO)

misterblu

Kilo, I have a Korg n364, Jp8000, Juno 106, jx-3p, and I have a Sequential circuits drumtraks(with special 909 kick proms) on its way from California. What I'd like is a Sampler/drum machine that I can use for loops, and other percussion effects... I'd like to be able to map out a drum kit across the entire keyboard... and filters(rez,cutoff etc.) would be nice also... what would you recommend?? Please email your response, as I don't get a chance to check here as often as I like... BTW nice page   Regards, Jon

Message 8/10             29-Sep-97  @  09:04 AM   -   RE: I'm totally new... what's in a basic setup??

Message 9/10             29-Sep-97  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: I'm totally new... what's in a basic setup??

Kilo

Yup you need a sampler.........check the sampler page......

Message 10/10             29-Sep-97  @  11:42 AM   -   RE: I'm totally new... what's in a basic setup??

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

When you're starting, computer-based tools are daunting. Like, kids can't figure out midi, how the fuck are they gonna do soft-synths and audio sequencing. A cheap-ass Detroit-cool DX21, an MMT-8, and an s-330, you're talkin' $350, all easy to re-sell 'cause it's so budget. That'd get anyone running and ready to upgrade piece by piece, and already sounds good enough for Magic Juan and the Prodigy.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)