aaa DO YOU PREFER VINYL OR CD'S? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: DO YOU PREFER VINYL OR CD'S?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             04-Jul-97  @  02:43 AM   -   DO YOU PREFER VINYL OR CD'S?

Tim_Benford

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Do you prefer vinyl or CD's better and why?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             04-Jul-97  @  05:39 PM   -   RE: DO YOU PREFER VINYL OR CD'S?

kilo

well,......cd's are convenient, but they cannot match the sonic levels of vinyl.....vinyl has a higher freq response, and also contains more harmonics.....you can definately tell the difference

Message 3/9             05-Jul-97  @  11:25 PM   -   RE: DO YOU PREFER VINYL OR CD'S?

NBenford

Vinyl has a more smooth and natural sound. CD's often sound dull, I think. I compared a RUN-D.M.C. Single on vinyl to it's CD counterpart and the vinyl had more treble, more punch, a wider stereo spread, and a smoother sound.

Noel

Message 4/9             06-Jul-97  @  04:39 AM   -   RE: DO YOU PREFER VINYL OR CD'S?

cd bar joint

then thats down to the way the track was mixed onto cd
are you saying EVERY vinyl track will therefore have
more punch and treble than its cd counterpart????
thats just not the case.

Message 5/9             06-Jul-97  @  05:10 AM   -   RE: DO YOU PREFER VINYL OR CD'S?

NBenford

Not every, but... If a certain song was mastered to a DAT then from the studio sent to a producing facility that made a CD copy and a vinyl copy (both of superior quality). If you were to listen to them both through a Denon CD player and a Technics SL-1200, both hooked up to a preamp, then to a power amp powering monitoring speakers that boasted a20 Hz-20 kHz freq. response, you would find the vinyl to be more pleasing to listen to. Don't get me wrong, I like CD's, I have many. They are portable and you can beat them to hell (pretty much). But you cannot scratch, mix or reverse them as easily as on vinyl. Plus vinyl looks cooler!!  

noel

Message 6/9             06-Jul-97  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: DO YOU PREFER VINYL OR CD'S?

kilo

well it's just one of those urban myths.....that cd's are "better" than vinyl..........
technicaly, vinyl has a MUCH higher frequency range than 16 bit/ 44.1 digital, and contains most
of the generated harmonics.......
cd's can only capture something like 3 of the available harmonics...
.wheras vinyl grabs most of them........that is why Cd's cannot ever sound as full as vinyl
.......that is why audio-files are still willing to spend like 5000 on a deck, arm, moving coil cartridge
and pre-amp set-up.........

Also, 1/2 inch analog mastering is far superior to DAT........You have to remember, that DAT was
a failed consumer fromat which was adopted by studios back in the 80's for making backup's of
1/2 masters for CD cuts........
It seems to most consumers that CD is superior, because they were previously using crap
turntables & cartridges that came with their hi-fi......so they hear no tracking noise from the CD
and think it is better....but sonically it is not....you'd need to sample at 128 bit with something like
96K sample rate to start to come close to analog tape mastering......

Having said that, practically, we all cannot afford 12 grand for an Otari 1/2 inch machine running
Dolby SR.......so I use dat....as do others...but if I could afford it !!!.......

It's the same with Valve amps....people thing tranny amps produce inherently LESS distortion, BUT...valves amps actually create far less distortion that transistor amps......and....valves again will capture a fuller harmonic spectrum than transistors......perhaps the reason why there is a massive trade in exporting old used european valve hi-fi gear to the far east.

Message 7/9             08-Jul-97  @  01:26 PM   -   RE: DO YOU PREFER VINYL OR CD'S?

i like both ;)

Message 8/9             08-Jul-97  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: DO YOU PREFER VINYL OR CD'S?

NBenford

Kilo, would it be better to use a DAT or a 1/4" Otari reel to reel for mixdown? The Otari would be cheeper but is it that much worse than a 1/2"?

Noel

Message 9/9             24-Jul-97  @  09:31 PM   -   RE: DO YOU PREFER VINYL OR CD'S?

pierrez

As the thread goes - both have their virtues.

Vinyl undoubtedly sounds better and there's a lot of stuff that's only released on vinyl, but I haven't seen a sony recordman in any shops recently.

A damaged record might pop and scratch but I'd take that any day over a cd s-s-s-s-s-s-stutter...

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)