aaa Can somebody help me pick 1st synth - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Can somebody help me pick 1st synth

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             10-Sep-97  @  03:18 AM   -   Can somebody help me pick 1st synth

edinak

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

O.k., My system consists of an Emax sampler, Roland R8M drum module, Cakewalk and a lousy Yamaha PSR 48. I want to replace the Yamaha. I have been doing alot of research on the net and finding many conflicting reviews. I am into a techno, dance, punk kind of the thing. Does anybody have some suggestions. I'm sure you do. I am looking to spend let's say, $1,200 or lower, new or used. What would be your ultimate best choice in this range.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             10-Sep-97  @  10:45 AM   -   RE: Can somebody help me pick 1st synth

KILO

A SECONDHAND K-2000 maybe ?....very versatile & mega upgradable

Message 3/9             20-Oct-97  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: Can somebody help me pick 1st synth

skitz

I have looked at AN1X, Roland JP8000, Prophecy for my first keyboard. I wasn't impressed with any of them for the fact that I thought the sounds were too weak. I have even contemplated going back in time for a Roland JD-800 or Juno 106 to get some real skooly sounds - What do you think.... It's a bloody minefield out here!!
I will need to use the keyboard as a master one. I'm also interested in the Roland JV2080 for the sounds... I think this module plus an effects unit could twang better sounds for me than the pricey Analog synths I mentioned first. I'll still be needing the trigger though. What's your suggestion Kilo?? I liked the dark noises on the Dance Planet module... but naaahhhh... too commercial!!. I am interested in making very underground dance music with a flair for originality. Other units I intend to buy are EMU E6400, Mackie Desk, Digitech Effects, Roland JV 2080.
CHEERRRZzz. sKItz.

Message 4/9             20-Oct-97  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: Can somebody help me pick 1st synth

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

oops, I used to have an e6400, really, really loved it. Pricey, I sold it 'cause my k2000rs was so cheap, and they're comparable (each has strengths and weaknesses over each other).

2080 sucks, I've seen the modules cost the same as the expansion boards (good ones, vintage, dance, etc.). How could you criticize the Orbit and not the 2080?

I almost bought a JD-800 once for cheap. I could've made a lot of money on the deal, but I didn't do it 'cause it just didn't sound good. Harsh, tinny, and surprisingly not so good for programming. I'd rather program a k2000 any day.

Message 5/9             21-Oct-97  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: Can somebody help me pick 1st synth

I see Junos dirt cheap all the time...

Message 6/9             22-Oct-97  @  01:40 PM   -   RE: Can somebody help me pick 1st synth

skitz

Thanks for your advice Hilevelt.... I'll demo a K2000 - Any other Kurzweil equip to look out for??.

So far as the 2080,... ok... so the whole world and his wife (but seemingly not you!) has got one,... but the design of the Orbit looks as though it's coming from the set of Sesame Street. I think the expansion cards for the 2080 are much cheaper than the standalone modules, but is there any difference in the sounds available??

To flip the script.... say for instance I got a Roland A-33 as a mother keyboard, what keyboard/module/thing! would you suggest in place of the 2080/Orbit. (This will complement an e6400). CheERZZZ .. SkITz

Message 7/9             22-Oct-97  @  08:38 PM   -   RE: Can somebody help me pick 1st synth

Has someone an opinion about Roland U220? Is it worth 200 $?

Message 8/9             22-Oct-97  @  08:50 PM   -   RE: Can somebody help me pick 1st synth

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Maybe it's a Los Angeles phenomenon, but I can run down and buy the vintage module right now for $300, which would get me more outs and polyphony, plus drum sounds. The 1080 makes sense to degree, but it's sounds aren't as open as the k2xxx's. The 2080's just a joke (still, not enough outs)

Did you see Kilo's Virus article? Sounds the shit to me, especially in the UK (too pricey for me here). That with a k2 would be sick. Sick, sick, sick. Hell, I'll trade my k2000rs to one of you blokes for one of those. But Kilo, is that the synth you were hinting at all that time ago, or the SuperNova?

u220's are a bitch to program, but my brief time using one'd got me sounds nothing else has. 8-outputs, LA synth, lots of editors available for it.

Message 9/9             05-Nov-97  @  11:08 AM   -   RE: Can somebody help me pick 1st synth

james_munro

For a first synth, mmm, depends what you want to do with it, but I would make sure its full multi-timbral, perhaps get a cheap midi master keyboard and by Yamaha's new MU90R rack as this is 32 note multi-timbral ! Although the sounds are a bit poofy, perhaps more suited to a holiday camp performer, like the entertainment bloke at Butlins.

I havent tried out the JV2080, but I think the sounds on the JV1080 are ok. In fact if you make your own sounds up they always sound better than the presets (but isnt that the same with any peice of kit). What gets on my tits is the fact that the bloody expansion boards are still around £200 (stirling) which I think is a rip off.

Can anyone tell me what the Vintage Synth and Drum and Bass expansion boards sound like ? As I am looking at getting them. I already have an AN1x so do I still need a Vintage synth board ? I could spend the money on a vast amount of beer instead so I need to know if the boards are worth the money.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)