aaa Internet Providers - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Internet Providers

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             14-Sep-97  @  06:32 PM   -   Internet Providers

Shark attack

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok,this is not really a dance tech type question
but you guys are switched on and savvy. I'm
based in the UK,which is the best internet
provider oiut there?? AOL is costing me a
frigging fortune. £4.95 for 3 hours per month
anf then £2.65 for each additional hour. Are
there any better alternatives??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             15-Sep-97  @  11:04 AM   -   RE: Internet Providers

kilo

yup..........Assholes-On-Line, or America Off-Line as they're known in the trade are a pile o crap....as are Demon & Compuserve....they just get recommended by all the kiss-ass PC mags, cos they get a commision.......I recommend:

NETKONECT on 0171 345 7777........they are fast, reasonable price.....and you get the free webspace.....if you pay a year upfront, you get 2 free months......

Message 3/12             15-Sep-97  @  11:05 AM   -   RE: Internet Providers

kilo

oh yeah......if you want more webspace for a bigger site with real-audio etc......then email ME......we have mega space & cool facilities, but we are not an IP.....

Message 4/12             15-Sep-97  @  01:36 PM   -   RE: Internet Providers

My PC is pants

Nout wrong with demon, as for AOL, Bahahahahahhahahahahhaaaaa, ive been with demon for 3 years, fast connection, 5 mb webby space, and most importantly NO CENSORSHIP on newgroups an alike, I`ll be quiet now

Message 5/12             15-Sep-97  @  08:18 PM   -   RE: Internet Providers

Kilo

well........it's a tad irritating with demon, when you send some-one a 'mail, and they dont get it for 2 or 3 hours !!!!........

Message 6/12             16-Sep-97  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: Internet Providers

jody

OK.
Right well I am actually at work at the momment and I work at Demon. There is no doubt in my mind that we are the best provider in the UK. We are the fastest, check out internet magazine (theres no fucking commision boyo) we have the largest backbone in the UK, a 45 meg link to the US and more bandwidth than all the other Independent Service Providers put together. Also access to over 20,000 newsgroups. Plus our software is the tits, you get 5meg a web space with 2 real audio streams!. We also happen to be one of the cheapest around.....bonus or what! If ya want contact me and I'll give you free software and free month trail. Then you tell me we are crap!

Cool page by the way!

Message 7/12             16-Sep-97  @  12:50 PM   -   RE: Internet Providers

Spot

JODY!!!, gimmie another 5 megs web space or i`ll tell cliff that your dossing on the internet whilst your supposed to be working, hehehehehe, and why the hell am i banned from IRC ,actually , i think i`ll give American off line a call  

Message 8/12             16-Sep-97  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: Internet Providers

KILO

YEAH RIGHT....I BELIEVE YOU......ALTHOUGH MOST PEOPLE IN THE INDUSTRY WOULDN'T......THEY CALL IT "DISMAL DEMON" !!!....YEAH LIKE INTERNET MAGAZINE IS A GREAT MAG RIGHT !!!!!!.......so if all that is true........how come demon is so friggin' SLOW & unreliable ?....sorry dude,....no deal........

if you want a real good laugh at aol's expense.........CLICK THIS

Message 9/12             16-Sep-97  @  04:47 PM   -   RE: Internet Providers

kilo

this is all in the spirit of healthy competition of course !! :-)

Message 10/12             17-Sep-97  @  11:17 AM   -   RE: Internet Providers

jody

Dont agree Kilo, most of our customers are through word of mouth and reccomendation. Yer OK Demon has its problems from time to time but being the largest provider in the UK we have solved many problems that Joe Blogs privider havent even reached yet. Anyway thought I would call Netkonnect check out what they offer.........err well, one meg of free web space....... yep loads of stuff you can put there, errr no audio streams....great for us musicians!! 11.75 per month, 117 yer.....not bad, no free software "oh because you allready have it on windows 95" yer cheers! also you only get one mail box, if you want more you have to pay extra 11.75 per month.(with demon you get unlimited mail boxes for free!!!). If you do wanna get 5 meg of web space its extra 29.00 per month. For 25.00 per month at demon you now get 10meg commercial space, mail forwading and web forwading with ya domain name. Oh yer also we have 24 hour tech support 365 days per year Netknonnect 24hours mon/fri oh dear. Also what i stated about internet mag...they are facts not opinions.
Sorry have to stick up for myself here we are simply the best no doubt about it.

Message 11/12             17-Sep-97  @  12:22 PM   -   RE: Internet Providers

kilo

Well, lets agree to disagree...... I personally prefer where possible to always go with a smaller more streamlined company, where for example there is not a 15 minute queue for help-line etc.......
You mention things like the quantity of newsgroups on offer.....
well we had to cancel our subscription to demons news groups,
as they were more often offline than not.....
Netconnect will add any newsgroup if you request it, provided it's not the Marsupial Sex channel
or something like that

whatever you say, demon is know in the industry as being slow for connection ,
with much downtime and bad connectivity due to it's behemoth like size....
and as I said, I prefer an email that arrives
at it's destination within a minute of sending, rather than hours later.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Demon as I understand it, sub-lets extra transatlantic connectivity when needed, (or did they actually purchase that pipe that they were advertising yet didn't happen last year ??)
..... whereas NetKonect has
a dedicated pipe for it's own users only. also, Demon are the largest Uk, but of course, at peak times such as early
evening the system becomes bogged down as millions of users try to connect. this is a similar problem with the other big names like AOL & Compuserve.

offering RA streams for free may seem a bonus at first, but of couse it means many amateur users may
add audio that is otherwise un-needed, simply because they have this facility, which again slows
down throughput for other users.... It's horses for courses really, an offer may appear great on paper,
but how it functions in the real-world is an entirely different issue.....so lets agree to disagree. :-)

Message 12/12             17-Sep-97  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: Internet Providers

avene

Link?:  Link

Err yeah, I'd just like to say, whenever I try to access Spot's site, it's realllyyy slowwww....Sometimes the main page doesn't completely load at all, and you end up just giving up....and it's not like he's gone over the top with graphics or anything.

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)