aaa Recording Vocals - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Recording Vocals

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             25-Sep-97  @  03:53 AM   -   Recording Vocals

Richard

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Does anybody know much about recording vocals?, eg- what sort of compression, whether a vocal booth is needed etc. I'd appreciate any response.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             25-Sep-97  @  12:12 PM   -   RE: Recording Vocals

____S____

I would also be intersted in this, weve jsut started out we got a zoom1210 effects unit, and after a bit of knob tweaking the vocals can sound great, were using a shure sm58 mic, is it nessesary to have a soundproofed booth in a bedroom studio, i have the room for it, but dont know wether its worth it, what about just headphones a mic and a four track, i dunno? any help would be greatly appreciated

Message 3/7             25-Sep-97  @  02:51 PM   -   RE: Recording Vocals

kilo

try this for a cheap one.......

set-up the mic in a room-corner, and use 2 old feather double quilts (i used to use the one I slept in !!).....just fix some cup-hooks to the wall at slightly above head-height....one for each coner of the quilt..., then tie a couple of short lengths of string to a couple of the quilt corners, and make a small loop in the string........anytime you want to do a vocal, just hook the quilts over so they cover the two joining walls where they meet at the room corner, and this will get you a nice dead sound......

another way which is better, is to put the hooks in the cieling, then hang a couple of quilts so they are about 2 feet from the ground, and about 2 feet above head height.......you can sew about 4 or 6 loops to one edge of each quilt, or pass string thru holes you have punched through the quilt edges , then put the hooks into the cieling so that when the quilts hang, they create a circle around the singer........this works better, as it creates a little tent inside which the vocalist can stand......you dont have to have a perfect circle, or total coverage.....just as long as most area around the singer is quilt......

A couple of double quilts from IKEA or whatever cost about 12 quid each or even cheaper out of a junkshop, or secondhand free-adds.......this works really well............you get a nice dead sound, and as the quilts are away from the walls, any bottom end dissapears through the quilt, never to return.....the high end is simply absorbed by the fabric & filling..........VERY CHEAP.......

Message 4/7             25-Sep-97  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: Recording Vocals

kilo

just to add......the other great thing about this method, is that the quilts are cheaper than acoustic tiles or whaever......it's easy to put up & take down, so no space taken in the room when not in use.......and......you get a couple of spare quilts for when your mates crash over !!!

Message 5/7             26-Sep-97  @  07:00 AM   -   RE: Recording Vocals

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Kilo, have you tried the technique to tune your rooms?

Message 6/7             26-Sep-97  @  12:19 PM   -   RE: Recording Vocals

_____S_____

Kilo....you watched too much blue peter in your youth   ...No, but seriously, thats excellent advice, I`m gonna give that a go....Cheerz

Message 7/7             26-Sep-97  @  08:40 PM   -   RE: Recording Vocals

kilo

I dont go in for room tuning.....unless you've got a stack of dosh, I'd rather just monitor at a lower volume.......

Yes it works great.....

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)