aaa EWS 64 XL - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: EWS 64 XL

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             30-Oct-97  @  06:43 PM   -   EWS 64 XL

pmeehan

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi all,

I finally returned my EWS 64 XL to Guitar Centre where I bought it. I had enough. I was using the unit with Cubase VST and it downright noisy and shaky on recordings - my effects did not work half the time. That was when I was using the 1.3 drivers. I opted to use the 2.0 drivers and things got slightly better for a short time then much worse - I could no longer record in VST. I really had enough. My creative process was badly interrupted.

I checked out other cards on the market and found a card called the Gina by Echo. This is a PCI bus card, with full duplex also and has 4 ins and 8 outs, thats not 8 wave outs but 8 physical outs - perfect for a musician, probably not much use for computer enthuiasts or gamers. This Gina card has no on board synth, but does have EQ. It also has a Motorola 66 mips DSP, but software needs to support it directly to use it. It also has digital ins and outs ( for SPDI/F). So my advice is if you are a musician who is doing hard disk recording dump the EWS 64 XL and get something like the Gina. It is of higher sound quality, has PCI bus which is much faster than the ISA implementation of the EWS, has more ins and outs, and is already supported in all the big music/audio software . It also has an exterior I/O box for the ins and outs. If you are just a computer/gamer the EWS 64 XL might be worht keeping until Terratec get all the problems ironed out. Lets be honest it is not going to happen by Christmas.

How much does the Gina cost? - $450!!! $150 dollars less than the EWS!

For more info on the Gina check out:

http://www.event1.com/digital.html

I wish Terratec the best of luck with their product - it is definitely an inspired product, but I think it is trying to be all things to all people. It needs more focus. As soon as the card has all is bugs fixed it deserves to sell well - I am concerned though that the hardware on the card may have bugs that cannot be fixed in software - and that a new revision of the hardware may only fix it - which means only new customers will have good cards!

Think it out people before you commit too much to this card!

paul.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             31-Oct-97  @  12:32 AM   -   RE: EWS 64 XL

patrick

what 's this, there are people having problems with both of these cards and people who arent.
you may of had noise with the ews but, my neighbor has god awful noise coming out of his gina
.and there are people having no problems at all. well anybody want to comment.
event cant even help, so what's up!

Message 3/4             31-Oct-97  @  12:43 AM   -   RE: EWS 64 XL

Kilo, are you having problems with your ews .

Message 4/4             31-Oct-97  @  10:20 AM   -   RE: EWS 64 XL

Chris

KILO has been conspicuous by his absence these past few days, and I don't blame him after all that Rebirth shite.
If I put in as much effort as KILO has and then got a response like that, I think I might have a litlle break from the Chat Room too.

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)