aaa ews64 - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: ews64

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             03-Nov-97  @  06:47 PM   -   ews64 - doing it live

DJ Phallus

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Okay, the SU-700 is taking way to long, I think
I'll buy a Terratec ews64xl. But there's a
prob... I wanna do live shows, and you can't use
cubase or other softseq for that, can you? Would
it be possible to use my computer with the card
as a normal sampler from an external hardware
sequencer? For instance, control cubase the same
way as I'd control it with a controller keyboard?
Or would the mixer that comes with the card allow
me to do this? For now, I don't need a hardware
sequencer, as I haven't got any songs yet (except
for some tracker songs, which aren't half bad,
but still...) but in the future, I'm definately
gonna do some live shows...
Well, thanks...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             04-Nov-97  @  08:38 AM   -   RE: ews64

Peezahj

Link?:  Link

Listen, Anal, if you're in America, buy my Roland s-330 sampler off of me for $250. It's much better than Kilo's rated it on this site, the editing is superb, and it's basically the same sampling engine that the Prodigy uses (it really has that 'Jilted Generation' sound). It's got 8-outs and it's only one rack-space, so live shows are a breeze.

The only thing sound card sampling has going for it is the easy archiving. Other than that, used Roland and Peavey samplers are better for the same price or cheaper.

Hilevelt

Message 3/5             04-Nov-97  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: ews64

kilo

well, I do know a mate who does many live gigs annually with a PC...... he replaced the sockets on the soundcard with 1/4 inch jacks, and transports it in a padded box....... he told me that once, he dropped it.... uncased.... from the back of a ford transit, and it still worked ok....... I think it's the terror factor that the pc may go down live....but the same can happen with hardware sequencers etc.... and you will need to make all backups of all your kit if you want to be 100% sure........

however...... I would say that going for an outboard hardware sampler could be best...... trouble is, cheaper s/h units have limited memory and usually load from floppies, so there can be delays etc....... however if you have a dat, reel-to-reel, or even a cassette, you can create audio links that you fade in during disk loads etc, if you decide to do different samples for each track......

The Rolands are fine...... I just rated the emax first, with casio, roland, and the s-900 coming a joint second..... the emax is my No.1 choice simply due to quality of converters, ease of use, and versatile memory assignments.... also the library contains some great sounds and you get a decent synthesis section,...... the emax has 5 different sample rates, one drawback of the roland's is that the memory is split into 2 parts, so you can make one long sample....(maybe not a problem)........ but it could be, if you're trying to cram as many samples into the memory as possible..... still, they are great little units...... basically, any of the above would be preferable to any of the recently released cheap budget new samplers as you get much better facilities..... and they'd cost the same or less !!!.......

but....... how often do you play live ??....... cos the terratec is absolutely stonkin value when you compare features with something like an s-2000...... so maybe the answer is a PC rack kit..... you can get a heavey duty metal chassis rack for a pc quite easily...... alternatively, get inside the unit, tie down all the cables, tidy it up, and the chance of a breakdown live is pretty remote if you are careful with the transportation...... remember, any bit of kit can breakdown,........ remember also, that you can use the pc live as simply the sampler/synth with the terratec or any other synth or sampler card.....you can control it from another external hardware sequencer...... It's worth a thought, cos the terratec does give alot for the dosh, and would be a boon in a studio situation, plus live, you can utilise up to it's maximum 64mb ram, so less chance of having to load new sample sets......plus, 4 outs is plenty for a live gig, with other kit....... if you want more outs, you can add an external outboard DA unit such as the soon to be released DMAN Flying Calf...... the terratec can output on the analog & s/pdif simultaneously...... so add the Dman unit for a cheap extra stereo out !!

Message 4/5             04-Nov-97  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: ews64

DJ Phallus

Hilevelt, I'm sorry, I live in Belgium... That's why my English is so crap.
I think I'm gonna go for the ews...

Message 5/5             04-Nov-97  @  07:22 PM   -   RE: ews64

stay away from the EWS64XL, friend... you will sometime regret it

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)