aaa Tablas - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Tablas

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             03-Nov-97  @  07:18 PM   -   Tablas

DJ Phallus

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

A friend of mine recently went to India, and
bought some tablas. He wanted me to find some
lessons on the internet, but I couldn't find
anything. He already understands music, he's been
playing violin and sax for several years...
Can anybody please help?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             04-Nov-97  @  08:30 AM   -   RE: Tablas

giraff

Even though yer friend understands music, I recommend he take lessons from a tablas-musician, as the tablas is a mucho difficult instrument which I seriously doubt you can begin to master with a few internett clues. Look up yer local tablas player [there is sure to be one, if ya look] 8)

Message 3/8             04-Nov-97  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: Tablas

kilo

yup...... it's all like 15 beat timing or something......tres difficult....... get a teacher....

Message 4/8             04-Nov-97  @  01:11 PM   -   RE: Tablas

David

If you can't find a teacher, get some old Ravi Shankar albums. His tabla player was unreal. The only tip I know is use one hand for tuning the head (by various pressure) and one hand for slapping it (sorta back and forth motion from thumb side to pinky side). And if you find anything on the net let me know cos I can't find strings for my 1968 Ravi Zeetar electric sitar. They're way longer than guitar strings.

Message 5/8             04-Nov-97  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: Tablas

DJ Phallus

I've learned to play bass guitar and djumbee (or whatever..) from scratch, without too much talent (I can't sing), so how hard can it be for him to learn tablas? He doesn't need to play 15 beat thingies, he wants to play western rhytms (probably), he just needs to know the techniques.

Message 6/8             04-Nov-97  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: Tablas

kilo

well, you place your left hand on the bass tabla, with the palm on the edge, and the drum is struck with the fingertips, then the palm is pushed forward/ slides on the skin to produce the pitchbend...... the treble table is tapped and flicked with the right hand traditionally....... also users apply talcum powder to the heads to get slide, and the tuning is dead important,....... you should have got a small hammer with the drums to tap the blocks and tension the heads...... mind you, I'd say sample the different strikes !!!!.....

Message 7/8             04-Nov-97  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: Tablas

kilo

actually I've got a great table sample set for the emax...... suppose I could convert it to .wav, and post it up... but it'd add a little bit of noise compared to the originals....but not so you'd notice really....

Message 8/8             05-Nov-97  @  12:34 AM   -   RE: Tablas

brad

Your friend might want to check out Zakir Hussein. Mickey Hart produced an album a while back with Zakir Hussein on it. There's some pretty cool uses of flangers and stuff like that. (Not really what you'd expect on a percussion album.)
---
Brad

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)