aaa Triggering samples without a sampler - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Triggering samples without a sampler

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             26-Nov-97  @  12:33 AM   -   Triggering samples without a sampler

pmeehan

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am using WaveSurgeon to deconstruct drum loops. When I have all the component parts seperated out into seperate .wav files I want to trigger them via midi, ideally from the Cubase drum editor. Problem is I am using a sound card based sampling setup - a Gina with Cubase VST. Is there any software that will trigger the samples based on received midi notes? - if so can it trigger the samples at the same time when Cubase is open? Cubase seems to take control of the wave device thus blocking any other wave players from playing back wave files. For example I can't playback in Cool Edit when Cubase VST is open and using my Gina card.

anyone?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             26-Nov-97  @  10:24 AM   -   RE: Triggering samples without a sampler

Chris T

But that is all that a sampler does, and that why no home should be without one.PC's just aren't fast enough to do that kind of shit in software, particularly whilst running anything as heavy as Cubase VST, even if you can free up a wave device.
I have only recently got hold of a hardware sampler (On board Maxi 64 card). In gereral sampler terms, mine is a shite one but I just can't tell you how good it is compared to hours of chopping stuff up in samplitude and then getting something out that isn't quite what you wanted.
I really can't put it in stong enough terms GET A SAMPLER, you won't regret it, even if it means giving your family a Mars bar each for Christmas. It'll put you back in control instead of the software.

Chris

Message 3/10             26-Nov-97  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: Triggering samples without a sampler

kilo

agreed........ ram is the only memory fast enuff to trigger the samples from.........

Message 4/10             26-Nov-97  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: Triggering samples without a sampler

pmeehan

Can anyone reccommend a sampler in the sub $1000 range ( 650 pounds)?

Message 5/10             26-Nov-97  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: Triggering samples without a sampler

Spud

New - Akai S2000

Used - EmaxII

Message 6/10             26-Nov-97  @  07:51 PM   -   RE: Triggering samples without a sampler

mental69

Hmmm.
Have you tried Hubi's loopback device?

I use cubase VST, Rebirth 1.5 and an ensonic soundcard at the same time. I have P166 and 64MB of RAM. You'll need plenty of RAM (more than me) if you want to use your computer for your sampler on complex projects.

The loopback device creates a virtual midi loop in your computer. I think you can get it at steinberg or Propellorheads software.

Still, an external sampler isn't a bad idea. You could probably find an ASR-10 used for $1000. If you have ReCycle going, it will transmit those amples via midi direct to your ASR-10.

Pretty spiffy.

Message 7/10             29-Nov-97  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: Triggering samples without a sampler

Sedusa66

Gee Paul, this was kinda what I was talking about the other day.. Did you know that EMU is based right in Scott's Valley? I haven't investigated very hard, cuz I don't have enough money to get a sampler any time soon.. But maybe it'd be easy to get cheap prices, being that the friggin company is like 5 minutes from both of us.. I've got no idea.. I've always wanted to go bother them til they gave me a job as a janitor or something (Hehe or a Product tester) and get an employee discount.. Anyways, it's a thought. I was wandering around in the music stores in Santa Cruz the other day, and I was askin 'em if they ever get 303s.. The guitar-rock happy guys they are, they said, yeah, they get 'em once in awhile, and they go fast cuz prices are really low at the moment.. They were saying they've sold 303s for 200 bucks! And they thought that was an average price. Anyways, another thought...
Saul

Message 8/10             07-Dec-97  @  12:02 AM   -   RE: Triggering samples without a sampler

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Union Grove Music in Santa Cruz has the cheapest prices on Emu sample discs I've seen, not to mention an E4k for just over $2k last time I was up (2 months ago)

Message 9/10             07-Dec-97  @  04:51 AM   -   RE: Triggering samples without a sampler

Sedusa66

The people at Union Grove are always assholes to me.. (Maybe it's cuz of all the hippies coming in to play the acoustic guitars for their girlfriends)... The used stores are always better places.. Where the hell are you, Hilevelt, that you've been to my town? Come thru often?

Message 10/10             08-Dec-97  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: Triggering samples without a sampler

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

I'm in LA, but my brother lives in SC. I've got a friend who works at Amoeba in Berkley who once picked up 10 of those Creative Essentials discs for $40!!! Things like that don't happen in LA, everybody's a musician or an actor.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)