aaa New ADAT pricing.... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: New ADAT pricing....

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11             30-Nov-97  @  01:01 AM   -   New ADAT pricing....

Spud

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

The list price for ADATs just dropped dramatically in the UK. Does anyone know if the same is in store for the States?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             02-Dec-97  @  03:33 PM   -   RE: New ADAT pricing....

I asked nicely, could somebody fuckin' answer me?

Message 3/11             02-Dec-97  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: New ADAT pricing....

kilo

cant help you spud. i live in london

Message 4/11             02-Dec-97  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: New ADAT pricing....

Spud

Well, could you fly over here and find out for me?

Message 5/11             02-Dec-97  @  07:42 PM   -   RE: New ADAT pricing....

kilo

wassup......... dont they have phones in america ??....

Message 6/11             02-Dec-97  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: New ADAT pricing....

Spud

Yeah, we have phones.......but I'm scared.

Message 7/11             03-Dec-97  @  01:46 PM   -   RE: New ADAT pricing....

David

Yup, ADATs have dropped price in USA. You ought to pick up an XT for under 2 grand and I've seed used original ADAT's for $ 1295.00. I've got an original and it's great! Punches are soooo quiet, totally unlike my reel to reel days.

Message 8/11             03-Dec-97  @  01:55 PM   -   RE: New ADAT pricing....

David

One more thing; if you're thinking about picking up a used ADAT, while holding the set-locate button press stop. This will display how many hours are on the spinning heads. I got mine with only 225 hours on it. I called Alesis and they said the decks should be good for 2000 to 3000 hours so check this before buying. Mine's been solid and dependable.

Message 9/11             03-Dec-97  @  04:30 PM   -   RE: New ADAT pricing....

Spud

David, thanks for your reply. I was, however, reffering to an additional price cut (XT's have been available for under $2000 for quite some time).

By the way, how long have you had your ADAT? Have you compared it's sound quality to an XT? Any user type info would be helpful, as I'm preparing to buy two of the units. Thanks.

Message 10/11             04-Dec-97  @  02:12 PM   -   RE: New ADAT pricing....

David

Spud, right, I've had mine for nearly a year and altho I've never placed it side by side with an XT I'd say the originals compare quite well (I'm sure there's a bit of difference, but when you reach a certain point it really doesn't matter -loads of hits you've heard on the radio were done with original ADATs). The main advantage to the XT is the faster transport speed and the digital editing features the originals don't have. Also, the XT is in a heavier chassis and more suited for carrying around -mobile units and such. I use mine with smpte strip locking my midi setup and 7 channels left for the vocals, guitars etc and its worked out great. So if you're getting two, then XT's will lock alot faster and you'll be happier, but if you're on a budget then check out originals as they sound pro as hell, lightyears ahead of a cassette 4-track and much cheaper tape costs than a 1//2 inch reel to reel. You might also consider getting just one ADAT and a Frontier Design wavecenter card and SAW or something so you'd have more extensive digital editing, extra tracks if you need em, and cheap storage via the S-VHS ADAT tapes. That's where I'm headed once I get some decent work on, where did all the gigs go?!!!

good luck

Message 11/11             04-Dec-97  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: New ADAT pricing....

Spud

David, thanks for the info. The reason I am getting two ADATs is because-

1. My "musical partner" handles all of the Mac stuff (we are running Pro Tools, Deck, Cubase, etc. through a Korg 1212 card into a Korg 168 dig. mixer and/or 1604 VLZ)

2. I want to be able to have at least 16 tracks in a portable set-up.

3. I want to be able to work independantly of a computer (we have different projects going on simultaneously, so he can use the PC, and I work on the ADATs. My girlfriend also does graphics and web stuff, so MY computer is often tied up in other things.............)

So I think I'll try to find some used XT's since a few people (including you) have advised that they are more road-worthy (plus they synch up faster, I guess).

Oh, and David, don't forget the gigs. Generally, I preffer recording to gigging, but I absolutely couldn't live without either of them.

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)