aaa Strange shit goin on with my PC - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Strange shit goin on with my PC

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             30-Nov-97  @  01:24 PM   -   Strange shit goin on with my PC

Sedusa66

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

There's been some weird shit goin on with my computer.. My IDE controllers are working funny.. They're running real-mode 16-bit drivers as opposed to 32bit ones, like they're supposed to.. I noticed this a few weeks ago when audio performance dropped sharply during a playback session... Now, they were running fine before, so I don't know why they're screwed up now.. I've got an OPTI Dual PCI controller and it suddenly screwed up. This is what's driving the hard disks.. I was going thru my stuff, trying to isolate the problem, and I was gonna do a step-by-step-confirmation (I had already done a few) and (I slap myself as I say this) I accidentally reverted to my previous version of DOS... So I had to reinstall Windows95.. But, even with a totally new instance of Win95, the problem popped up. Just to be sure, I downloaded a virus scanner.. (I had disabled mine because it degraded audio performance) And, sure enough, I've got an NYB virus, and the little fucker's memory resident, and it seems as if none of my disks are clean (Tho they check out fine.. But that's from an infected computer, mind you) And NOW, My soundcard (Shitty SB16) wont play 44, 22, or 11khz wave files.. ????? I don't know if I got the infection before or after the problem with the 16 vs 32 problem happened, but I do know that it was before the soundblaster decided to take a shit on me.. What do you guys think is the problem?? Any ideas on how to fix it?? (Of course, first order of business is to get rid of that bastard in memory)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             01-Dec-97  @  10:57 AM   -   RE: Strange shit goin on with my PC

freestyle

First things first...

1) Get a clean boot-disk with an anti-virus program on it. Any anti-virus'll do - NYB is *old*. McAfee will do fine and will (would) fit on a disk - last time I used McAfee in anger a 286 was top-of-the-line. Call a friend if you can't get one yourself (you do have friends, don't you? ).

2) Boot from this disk and clean everything. I mean everything. Your hard-disk(s), zip carts, floppies, everything. Make sure that there is no media in your house that could be infected. If you're not sure check again. I can't emphasise this enough. If there is *one* disk in the house with NYB on it, you'll have to go through all this again.

3) You'll probalby need to re-install Win '95. I've never let any of the systems in my house running Win '95 get infected, but I had plenty in trouble when I was running Win 3.1 (and swapping games....which causes 95% of home PC virus infestations). In every case I had to re-install Windows.

4) Set up all your drivers. Set up a memory resident virus-checker that doesn't check your audio drive. This means that you won't be slowing down your audio performance too much...It'll still slow down a little, but if you regularly bring in files from other sources, there's nothing you can do...you must have a virus checker scanning your floppy drives at the very least.

5) Get back to making music.

later...

Message 3/3             01-Dec-97  @  11:09 AM   -   RE: Strange shit goin on with my PC

Sedusa66

Well.. the problem doesn't seem to be a virus problem.. After much pain and hair-pulling, I got that little fucker out.. It was a BIOS boot sequence setup that was keeping it in memory.. The C: boot record was being scanned (Tho not booted from) before A:... So, anyways,
I cleaned the virus.. I bit the bullet and went for the DirectX 5.0 drivers (The 3.0 DirectX drivers had fucked up my system, so I was a bit wary..) And now my sound card is working right. But I'm still having problems with Real-mode drivers as opposed to 32-bit ones.. And this is the fuckin really strange thing. I traced the source of the infestion, and I contracted it AFTER the IDE problem.. So, any help, anyone?

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)