aaa those lovable newbies!!! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: those lovable newbies!!!

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             07-Dec-97  @  04:14 PM   -   those lovable newbies!!!

SoMeBodY

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

cheers to kilo. glad after over a week of searching i found a site with some useful feedback... though the rebirth posts were a bit over-the-top. so "yes" i am a newbie... have not been in the computer music scene since about '91... so you could almost say that i have not been in the computer music scene. :-) I am trying to find a foundation for myself. so any info. that can be given to get me started would be greatly appreciated. I am sure that hardware wise, i am behind most of you... but gotta walk before i can fly, no?
so i am equipped with p133 not a lot of RAM (yet) and sb16 w/ wavetable shit. My brother is a keyboard player with some okay MIDI gear, but unfortunately the akai s-950 is dead. falling out of a truck is not good for them, so don't try it.
Anyway, any help i can get from any of you about where to start... substitutions for the sampler, software must haves and such, i would be grateful.
BTW: hard disk recording is going to be a must for me soon... since dance tracks are not all i expect to work on.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             08-Dec-97  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: those lovable newbies!!!

kilo

well, get all the s/w demo's etc d/loaded..... plus all the s/w synths.... check em all out...... making waves will supply your sample/player......... add some loops from hammerhead or whatever...... Your pc will be fine for running cakewalk 5 or cubase 3... (both with audio).... these programmes address one stereo soundcard for audio........ if you wanna go to VST...(internal fx and mixing for audio)..... then you'll need to bump up the machine to a 166 or a 200 chip...... then get at least 64 mb ram......... then you'll be ok...... check out some of the readers demo's.... there's some great stuff done there on little kit....... one of the guys just got some tracks on a compilation cd, using just a few s/ware that you can get here...... you can get a 64 mb sampler for about 399 (UK)..... that's the Terratec card..... and it's the nutz !!!..... so check it out..... get the Cool-=edit demo... which will do all your sample time stretching, etc for FREE...... get VAZ... brilliant synth... stomper, rubberduck, rebirth, hammerhead.... seq-303 (arpeggiator)......all again brilliant synths, drum s/w, etc......

Message 3/4             08-Dec-97  @  04:47 PM   -   RE: those lovable newbies!!!

freestyle

just 2 things to point out:

If you install more than 64MB of RAM on a typical Pentium m/board (technical note : with an Intel chipset. Doesn't affect Pentium Pro or II chipsets), then you'll slow your system down by about 5%. Intel deliberately (sp?) crippled the TX chipset to boost sales of the Pentium II. What they did was make sure that only the first 64MB of RAM are cached by the Level 2 cache. Since Windows uses the highest available memory first, you're going to be in trouble...

The Terratec EWS64xl is a good card with great potential. The new (v2) drivers, while still in beta, seem stable, and the cards hardware seems good. The only blight on the horizon is the lack of a dedicated patch-editor. However, Terratec say they are working really hard on it, and I tend to believe them. There also seems to be a very good user community, the like of which hasn't been seen since the days of the Gravis Ultrasound.

later...

Message 4/4             08-Dec-97  @  05:22 PM   -   RE: those lovable newbies!!!

dAmN nEwBiEs!!!

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)