aaa JP-8000 vs. Nordlead2 (part two) - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: JP-8000 vs. Nordlead2 (part two)

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             09-Dec-97  @  10:27 PM   -   JP-8000 vs. Nordlead2 (part two) (Thanks so far!!)

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Since my budget is limited($3000), I'm wondering if a setup with a Nordlead2, and a CSX1 is a good one for live performance? The nord as a synth for the leads and bases and the CSX1 to use as a pad synth. I also figured that a CSX1 would be a good synth beside a Nordlead2, to work with midi in a comfortable way. Am I right?

A few questions:
1) Why do people prefer a nordrack instead of a lead? Do they have a great masterkeyboard at home or something like a Roland A33 or A90?? Do they buy a simple midikeyboard for like $50 beside it and save money that way? I mean, even if you got for instance a XP50 or a Kurzweil K2500, when you want to play strings or a piano and a fat sound of your Nord at the same time, it's not possible!? Please explain me why?

2)Will I get troubles with the little amount of voices(8) and timbres(2)when playing a Jp 8000 live??? (I've got ten fingers!)I mean, when I use a thick layered sound as a chord, and play a solo with the other hand with also a complexe sound, or when I use the arpeggiator, will it be to much for the JP 8000 because of the voices and timbres?

3)How much is a Novation Supernova gonna cost? Is it availeble yet?

PS I've been in England this summer and I really was amazed about the high prices overthere!!! Isn't it a idea for people in Britain to order their equipment in Holland?(Yes, that's where I come from). To give you an idea of the prices of new synths in Holland:
Nordlead2 $2000
JP 8000 $1500
CSX1 $550
AN1X $1000
Virus Acces $1500
Korg Z1 $2300

Or are these synth's even cheaper somewhere else??

PS This is a great site!! Keep up the good work

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             10-Dec-97  @  01:05 PM   -   RE: JP-8000 vs. Nordlead2 (part two)

misterblu

I can only answer one of these questions...

On the Jp-8000, I have never run into any problems with losing notes on the arp.

On a related note, stacking both timbres and using the super saw on osc 1, and saw on osc 2 I've created some amazingly lush strings that are the equivalent of having 16 "virtual" osc's all playing together...AND I still have 8 note poly...

I've never tried it, but it follows logic that you should be able to get timbre 1 on one midi channel with 8 note poly, AND timbre 2 on another midi channel with 8 note poly, although admittedly I haven't tried this one...

extra poly is nice, but how many of us actually play 10 finger chords??? This thing isn't a workstation, so you really don't NEED 64 note poly.. although that would be nice...

hope this helps.... Jon

Message 3/3             10-Dec-97  @  01:38 PM   -   RE: JP-8000 vs. Nordlead2 (part two)

kilo

when your playing live, it is nice to have a keyboard dedicated to a synth engine (as with a keyboard version of a synth)... otherwise, you have to map the controller keyboard to the rack-synth....... this is not a problem to do, but simply means you must set and attend to the patching for each new track you play.....

in a live setup... you choose one synth you will play manually... or maybe a couple.... so you may manually play opening chord sweeps over a sequenced arpeggiated line, thgen later, fire some samples live... maybe percussion, or whatever...... so in this set up, when you change track, you maybe need the master keys routed to a different synth for the part you play live.... in which case, you have to look out for these settings, as well as all the other things....

that is why people prefer a keybaord for gigs..... when you go to the keyboard, you know you are going to play that unit's sound engine....... but as I say... it's about planning...... choose the bits that best allow you to have stress-free control in a live situation....

The supernova will be about 1500 uk....... funny you thought gear was expensive here, we have a strong pound right now, which usually means we get cheap rates on imported stuff, especially is it's from the far east........ sure your dollar rate is correct ??.....

as for the polyphony thing, .... you could hold down a 5 note chord... and get a 16th arpeggiator running on the JP, without running out of notes, and finding notes cut from the chord.... but depends on the sustain of the arp' notes I guess.... as the arp' will be playing one note at a time...... so that should leave 7 for the chord i guess !!

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)