aaa Mini disk, just a thought. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Mini disk, just a thought.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             12-Dec-97  @  01:28 PM   -   Mini disk, just a thought.

jason.fishwick

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Just thought I'd run this idea by ya.
Kilo at one place on this excellent site mentioned

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             12-Dec-97  @  01:33 PM   -   RE: Mini disk, just a thought.

continued................................
that it can be useful to run your tracks through the desk and then capture parts of it on DAT and then back into your sampler as a sort of resampling idea.
I'M trying to save some money so what about using a minidisk to record the track and then run it back into your sampler through the optical outs on the minidisk.
How would the quality be on this and does the Emu esi-32 have an optical in.
Iknow you would loose some quality goiNg through the non-digital desk but this could save a few hundred quid in the longrun which could go towards another module....
Any thoughts, J

Message 3/8             12-Dec-97  @  04:09 PM   -   RE: Mini disk, just a thought.

kilo

frankly mate, if you run an analog out from your desk to your dat or minidisk, then back analog to sampler or h/d, once the sounds in a mix, you wont notice alot of difference..... obviously digital transfer is best, but the esi dont have optical.... does the minidisk have s/pdif ??... if so you could get the s/pdif for the esi if it doesnt come with..... but it's alot of expense considering the not too obvious advantages......

Message 4/8             12-Dec-97  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: Mini disk, just a thought.

Mini disc suck in sound quality they're compressed 16bit and actually just store 4bit, its just the converters that change it to 16 and with this much compression and the DVD coming out ,,,,well the MD is a dead bread.

Message 5/8             13-Dec-97  @  09:34 AM   -   RE: Mini disk, just a thought.

Ufo

Er, MD sounds fine to me. Don't stare yourself blind at the comression ratio. A good Mp3 is compressed about seven times (196 kbaud), and you won't hear the difference.
If you're into sampling, you soon discouver that saving each sampling value is unnessecery. Saving the difference between samples as a value gives exactly the same result, but saves data storage. (The storing algorithm of MD is however far more complicated, but this is a generalzation.)

Message 6/8             31-Dec-97  @  12:53 PM   -   RE: Mini disk, just a thought.

jason.rowe

Well I had my doubts on after reading about minidisc.
But at 180UKP for a minidisc recorder with optical in
I though its got to be better than using my cheap tape
deck. I auditioned it carefully using direct optical
copy from my CD player. I would hear any difference
any my kits not bad. The only thing I have noticed is
when recording stuff (ideas) if you get anywhere near
clipping (even if the meter doesnt say) the signal
crashes out and sounds 8bit shit. I dont know if this is
down to volumn or amount of concurrent sound.

Dat 800UKP MD 180UKP, its better than tape and until
that pipedream record deal comes through I think we've
got to keep our feet on the ground when it comes to
sound quality.

Ive got mates who wont sample through their desk because
of possible noise. Well I cant hear it and I rather spend
another 10 miniutes playing with the sounds than plugging
and unplugging leads.

Give minidisc a go.

It wont be long before people tell us 16bit isnt good enough. Until space aliens start listening to trance ill
stick with human hearing levels (oh shit space aliens
do go clubbing!)

Message 7/8             01-Jan-98  @  07:03 AM   -   RE: Mini disk, just a thought.

nbenford

Oh yea? 16 bit is shit! Today's digital is a step back in hi-fi from analog. CD's suck!!!

Message 8/8             01-Jan-98  @  08:53 AM   -   RE: Mini disk, just a thought.

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

I'm Drunk!
Anyways, fuck whatever that guy was saying... Who cares... But don't invest in a technology that no one uses... Everyone I know uses DAT... DAT machines are going for cheap secondhand... It's easy to find someone with a DAT.... DAT seems to be the standard at this point.. So why fuck with something that every fucker in the world says "Compression? Fuck that shit! I"m not letting my music get compressed by some machine!!" .... It doesn't matter whether the format is good or not... People aren't gonna accept it... A|But then again, I'm drunk......Happy Next Year of Shitty Happenings and Bad Luck!!!

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)