aaa How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ??? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             30-Jan-98  @  01:27 PM   -   How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

The VAX

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi
Can anyone tell me how the get that effect on the
vocals you hear in some of the tunes.
It sounds like they are kind of stu-tt-er-ing.,.,.
?????

P-Leeez-zz --H-el-lll-p--

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             30-Jan-98  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

NickjohnA

Using Gating effects. You do this by using midi controller main volume and ptting loads of them in time with values of 0 and 127 one after another. If this sounds a bit complex look through Future Music and a company called Newtronics creates premade ones to load into cubase as a standard midi-file and is a lot easier. Good Luck and Nuff Respect.

Message 3/15             31-Jan-98  @  01:30 AM   -   RE: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

quiq

you time strech the vocals in something like cool edit - dont know about the above method but time streching is the norm

Message 4/15             31-Jan-98  @  05:41 PM   -   RE: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

The VAX

I'll try both out and see what happens.
Thanks

Message 5/15             01-Feb-98  @  12:35 PM   -   RE: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

Ufo

Using sample offset (sample start) gives the same effect, the sample gets "time streched", but with the advantage that the vocal line, regardless of bpm, always will fit to the beat.

Message 6/15             02-Feb-98  @  05:29 AM   -   RE: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

The VAX

Hi UFO

could you give a bit more info on the above.,.,.,
I'm not sure that I understand  

Thanx

Message 7/15             03-Feb-98  @  11:04 AM   -   RE: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

vuPeak

Ok, to clearify what UFO said... (I'll try anyway :-) )

Sample Offset setts the startingpoint of the sample.
If you trig the sample with the startingpoint at 0. The
sample will play from the begining. Then move the
startingpoint a coupple of ms forward and trig the
sample again.

Do this a lot of times in a short time and you will get
the effect.

vuPeak

Message 8/15             10-Feb-98  @  11:32 AM   -   RE: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

I personally have never heard any Speed Garage... Out here in the siticks (America) It's all "Electronica" (I'm joking, of course, but I still haven't heard any) So I'm kind of in the dark... I think this is an effect I've been fucking trying to figure out how to do for a while... I don't know how many of you Dance guys ever listened to Industrial music, (I used to have bright green dredlocks, piercings, rubber pants and big boots complimenting my all black wardrobe) But is this the same effect used in "Animal - Gate" off of "OFF" by Front 242?? You know, it's like this chicks voice saying "I-t'-s--A-l-w-a-y-s--t-h-e--s-a-m-e" and the rest of the lyrics... Cuz that effect is soooo killer I must use it... But I can't make it happen just by lowering the volume in snippets of a sample (Well, I haven't figured out how to make it work that way at least... ) It sounds kind of like the a tremelo pedal for guitar... (Not to be confused with the tremolo or "whammy" bar)...??

Message 9/15             10-Feb-98  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

Sedusa

Oh, and this effect I'm talking about doesn't change pitch or sample length.. Any thoughts? Any closet Industrial listeners?

Message 10/15             10-Feb-98  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

kilo

look in the FX rack..... inside the audio gates section.......it's all there.......

Message 11/15             10-Feb-98  @  01:16 PM   -   RE: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

iskross

The easiest way has to be LFO controlled VCA. This'll give you the snip FX. Gap is the FX of inserting silence between preset portions of a sound. Since you can't do this real time, you'll have to it with a sampler or Wav-editor. I prefer gapping for voclas, because it doesn't remove any of the original sound. Instead it'll make the sound longer so you'll have to calculate the length. This is actually how time-stretch works.

-marcus

Message 12/15             10-Feb-98  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

Sedusa

Well, cutting in and out is what I like.. You're barely able to make it out... (It's my industrial leanings towards noises and barely discernable vocals I guess...) Ok Kilo, I'll be a good little boy and read your section on gates...

Message 13/15             10-Feb-98  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

Sedusa

Yea, Kilo, that high-hat trick sounds just like what I was talkin about... Any way to get that sound without a gate... IE software?.. Cuz I haven't got one.. Sound Forge has an insipid Gapper/snipper that just doesn't do it... Any thoughts?.. (I'm all stoked on this idea... THAT sound on vocals always makes me go crazy... no matter what.. A friend of mine (pmeehan, actually) was playing some Mixmag compilation or something for me, I don't know who it was who did this song, but it was kind of housey and it had this chick's voice running thru a gate lkie that... Fuck! That shit just gives me shivers, I love that sound....

Message 14/15             10-Feb-98  @  02:10 PM   -   RE: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

kilo

well, if you want that gate sound...(not the snipped up one), you gotta get a gate.... hardware rulez !!

Message 15/15             10-Feb-98  @  02:21 PM   -   RE: How to get that SPEED GARAGE vocal effect ???

Sedusa

"This stuff costs money!... Er....."
- Kilo 4-3

Screw you Kilo I'm poor!!
Just kidding.. Fuck.. So I gotta get a gate, huh? hmm... Are gates included on some multi fx units, or do you have to buy a dedicated unit? Cuz I've got access to multifx... Hmm, they probably wouldn't have a trigger input anyways... Fuck.. Oh well, I guess it'd be worth it.. But I ought to space it out, and not use that sound so much that it becomes a gimmick... Cuz it's a very distinctive sound.. Aight...

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)