aaa whats the difference - garage- hardcore etc? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: whats the difference - garage- hardcore etc?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             02-Feb-98  @  09:55 PM   -   whats the difference - garage- hardcore etc?

Jmackcam

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I love dance music when I hear it but I dont go clubbing and I (and this takes guts to admit ) dont know what all the different styles are
I hear DJs talk about garage techno happy bleeding hardbag balearic goantrance ! whats the difference how can I tell?
ps I discovered dance tech yesterday and already I,m
totally blown away; an addict and thanks for Hammerhead

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             03-Feb-98  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: whats the difference - garage- hardcore etc?

iskross

Quick guide:

HOUSE: Simple 4/4 beat often with offset hihats. Snare rolls, Diva-vocals and pianos.

Subgroups: hardhouse, garage, handbag etc.
------------------------------------------------------

TECHNO: Comes in many froms. Could be hard could be soft and "dreamy". 4/4 kicks but harder then house. Darker then house.

Subgroups: acid, hardcore, gabba etc.

DRUM N BASS: Complex brakebeats (sampled drums). Sub bass timestetched vocals (has been taked over by speed-garage) dreamy pads.

Subgroups: intelligent, jungle, artcore, darkside etc.

These are the maingroups. Newspapers like mixmag are always making up new names so it's hard to keep up!

-marcus

Message 3/7             03-Feb-98  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: whats the difference - garage- hardcore etc?

Jmackcam

thanks Marcus- I rilly thought somebody might take the piss and thats a great start but I want to know more!
can anybody recommend examples of each style I could download and listen to?
John

Message 4/7             04-Feb-98  @  04:07 AM   -   RE: whats the difference - garage- hardcore etc?

ratfink

A garage is where you park your car, a house is where you park your butt ;) ....sorry couldn't help myself! but seriously i was once as confused as you; still am! what can a guy do? third world country, clueless people, guitar-toting blues-rocker...anyway you came to the right place: these guys are the most helpful bunch of people on the net and kilo is the man...

check this one out, samples and text here:
http://www1.tip.nl/~t069315/page04a.html

peace:
ratfink

Message 5/7             04-Feb-98  @  09:12 AM   -   RE: whats the difference - garage- hardcore etc?

Spot

Link?:  Link

Does anyone remember Tesko?, stupid fuckin name for a brand of music (tecno and disco), what next petrol station beats?

Message 6/7             05-Feb-98  @  07:24 PM   -   RE: whats the difference - garage- hardcore etc?

iskross

some examples:

HOUSE: Todd Terry, Daft Punk, Matsers at Work
TECHNO: CJ Bolland, Aphex Twin, Joey Beltram,
D n B: Goldie and his crew (METALHEADZ), Ronie Size

-Marcus

Message 7/7             07-Feb-98  @  12:00 PM   -   RE: whats the difference - garage- hardcore etc?

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Don't forget tech-step, two-step, hard-step, and fuck-step jungle stylie. Blah, it's all shit, I figure one guy/label comes out with his own thing, and the english press puts a stamp on it rather than acknowledging the individual's creativity. Didn't your punk bands trash the hell out of those fuckers 20 years ago? And yet I still see imported magazines like fuckin' 'Q' with cover stories about the feuding Gallagher brothers and "the next big thing" (speed garage the newest, already stale flavor).

BTW, Future Music does it mad, gettin' fools hyped on trends and gear when those geezers still listen to Ozric Tentacles.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)