aaa Win95 midi device limitation? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Win95 midi device limitation?

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             14-Feb-98  @  02:06 PM   -   Win95 midi device limitation?

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey guys!

Little question... Has anyone of you got any experience or heard about Win95 being limited to only 10 midi devices ? I've been thinking about buying something like that channel x studio 64 (can't think of the exact name right now, had a rough night ;) which adds 4 in's and 6 out's, but I'm a bit worried that I would have to dump the midi loopback's I've got running now (you know, that hubi thing) or my awe64 midi in/out/synth ports (which all actually add up to 10 allready).

Ok, so if anyone knows about this (and what could be done about it besides buying a mac) then let me know...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             16-Feb-98  @  05:16 PM   -   RE: Win95 midi device limitation?

kilo

er........ why would you want so many midi lines?.......surely a decent thru box will do the trick?.... personally, I'd rather have as few IRQ's as poss for the machine to deal with..... or am I misunderstanding the question?.

Message 3/10             17-Feb-98  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: Win95 midi device limitation?

Purple Haze (damn, I always forget this)

I wouldn't really need THAT much midi's, 2in/2out would be enough for me, but then I would have to cut down on the midi configuration I've got now (which would be possible, I only use 5 at the moment, including 2 'hubi loopback devices'), and I'd like to know before I buy what my options and their consequences are).
Also, I'm a windows programmer for a living, and it would be an extra microsoft bashing possibility ;)

Message 4/10             18-Feb-98  @  10:20 AM   -   RE: Win95 midi device limitation?

Clemens.Kurtz

What?? IRQ, Thru-Box??? Hey Kilo, think you didnīt understand that question. Iīve an Opcode 8Port/SE (8Midi-In and 8 Midi Out) as patchbay matrix connected to my parallel-port of my WIN95 PC. I need this configuration, cos I have 6 separate synthies and I whant them all communicate with Cubase as SEPARATE instruments and not via Thru-Box (forget this Thru-Box shit!!).
I can access each synthie in Cubase with its own independant Midi-Port. Thats fine.... BUT.....
WIN95 has some problems with more than 11 Midi-ports registered in the system (device manager). Sometimes it
works fine, but sometimes WIN95 crashes. If you use Cubase you can use the SETUP MME-utility to deactivate some of the not used Midi-Ports. This helps you to get this problem fixed when sequencing with Cubase. My own experience with this problem: if you use 8Port/SE or Emagics Unitor, donīt install any printer-driver, scanner, ZIP-drive etc. on your system (parallel-port). I found out that WIN95B (OSR2) seems to be more reliable when installing up to 11 independant Midi-Ports (but maybe Iīm wrong !?).

At the moment, my setup works fine (8 Midi-Ports + 1 Control Port (Midi-Time-Code) + 2 Midi-Ports from my soundcard = 11 Ports).

If you have further questions, please contact me.

Ciao...

Clemens

Message 5/10             18-Feb-98  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: Win95 midi device limitation?

kilo

ok....... well I'm a but crude in this area, I'm one of those people that likes things really simple...... so I would have the synths on one midi out.... no probs for sending right.... all the synths get their data only, personally i cant see the advantage of having a seperate port for each instrument, cos then I'm limited in terms of creative ideas with mirrored data going to several synths, which is a technique i like to use alot for ideas.... layering different synths/sounds.... .... and if I needed to send data to the pc from a synth, I'm sorta from the "unplug-the-midi-in-from-the-master-keys-and-plug-the-midi-cable-in-from-the-synth-i-wanna-transfer-data-from" school....... or use a merge box dedicated to the synths I wanna send data from on a regular basis for the incoming signals maybe..... but 10 midi ports????......shit..... each port needs an irq right?..... or am I wrong ....if not, then how does the pc determine hwat port to send data to ?..........I personally like things simple...... the less for the pc to deal with the better for me......cubase is shaky enuff on the pc platform without adding to it's burden......personally, I think all that stuff is money down the drain..... but maybe it works for you.... what's the advantages you get from this system when it works?....

Message 6/10             19-Feb-98  @  03:12 PM   -   RE: Win95 midi device limitation?

Clemens.Kurtz

Hi!
Think easy, kilo!! For this Opcode 8Port/SE interface you need NO !! separate IRQ, cos this interface is plugged in directly to the parallel-port of the PC (printer connector). The installation is as easy as the installation of a printer; just connect the interface and load up the driver........One of the advantages of such a Midi patchbay is, that you can combine each Midi instrument with anothers like a matrix... and you can do this, even your PC is not switched on. The EEPROM of the patchbay stores all connections and you can recall up to 8 settings directly from the frontpanel of this patchbay... its very useful when you wanna play with your synth-equipment WITHOUT using your PC. On the other hand, you can create this matrix-connection-scheme with the help of a Windows software.... its really great... never again you have to plug or unplug any Midi-cable... only make the connection with your patchbay software....
and most sequencer programms recognize separate Midi-ports, so you are able to sent some midi tracks to a single synth (eg port A) or you can create layered sounds (sent tracks to port A and B)....for more information see Opcodes HP ("http://www.opcode.de").

Ciao

Clemens

Message 7/10             20-Feb-98  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: Win95 midi device limitation?

kilo

aha...... gotcha !!..... the saving patch and using with pc switched off bit seems nice..... well, let the windows programmer call on this one.... Purple Haze???.......

Message 8/10             20-Feb-98  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: Win95 midi device limitation?

tglenn

I got the same delima.. using the MOTU midi EXpress Xt 8x8.. I also have a Midi Man 2x2 in my pc.. hehehe.. I use the midi man to control rebirth using the outputs from my yamaha a3000... for now its ok but this midid thing gots me all wacked.. because i use two different sequencers sometimes three.

oh well it seems fine now. .but Cubase wont work.. Cakewalk works ..

Message 9/10             23-Feb-98  @  11:49 AM   -   RE: Win95 midi device limitation?

rodneyh

Apparently the 11 MIDI device limit applies to win95 original but win95 OSR2 is supposed to overcome it.

I'm not sure. I have 11 MIDI devices, not including the MIDI mapper. If the MIDI mapper counts, I have 12 devices OK under OSR2.

Rod.

Message 10/10             23-Feb-98  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: Win95 midi device limitation?

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

I was under the impression that everyone was using Win95B..... It always surprises me when people tell me they're using A, cuz Win95A seems to be majorly jacked in many respects.... When I had to reformat my hard drive, I accidentally installed the A version of Windows 95 (I've got about 6 Win95 CdRoms running around my apartment) .. Come to think about it, I was surprised how little space it took up on the hard drive as opposed to the previous version I had... Anyhow, It was so fucked up I had to rip the fucking thing off my computer and reinstall.. Win95A didn't even format my hard drive with 32bit drivers, I was running on real-mode 16bit, and this fucked my audio up... What pisses me off, and the reason I saw fit to comment, was that they're still shipping old, faulty Windows 95 A version software to the stores...
SO, kids, make sure you've got the right one.. Or get your buddies' CDs and install the right one...

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)