aaa I need a digital synth (gasp!) - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: I need a digital synth (gasp!)

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             15-Feb-98  @  02:31 PM   -   I need a digital synth (gasp!)

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Ok, I need a digital synth... I've got bucketloads of analogue warmth, I need some cold, impersonal digital in my sound.... I also need a good fake piano sound (No, I'm not looking for a super synth that sounds just like a steinway grand... I want that fake-ass synthesizer piano sound..) I need those cold thin digital pads, too... I'd like a decent UI that lets me alter parameters to a decent degree, I don't want to use some lame ass programmer's preset, I want MY sounds... (Ok, I might use the lame ass piano sound, but that's my business, right?) I need a keyboard, and it needs to support MIDI pretty fully, cuz the only keyboards I've got send CV/GATE, and that wont trigger my sampler, now will it? NOW, (And here's the part where I need some help...) I need it to be fairly inexpensive, cuz I'm on a budget... I am NOT looking at new synths at all, so don't try to plug this week's $1500 digital monster. Now, I can figure my way around analog synths, and I know enuff about 'em so I can get a feel for their sounds pretty quick, and I know which ones don't cost an arm and a leg.. But I'm clueless about digital!! So, any suggestions?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             15-Feb-98  @  04:05 PM   -   RE: I need a digital synth (gasp!)

ivan

Link?:  No link

Sounds to me as you need a Yamaha DX. Good pianos, good MIDI, cold pads and also classic basses. The only negative thing is the editing, it's more "lets have release 6 instead of 5 on operator 3, and then increase the modulation.. hmm. Where's that manual?"

But there are loads of computer based editors for the DX7 and some others. There is also a hardware programmer for the DX7 (extremely rare) and I think you can use a Peavey 1600.

All the DX's are also cheap, and got fairly OK keyboards.

Message 3/5             16-Feb-98  @  12:22 AM   -   RE: I need a digital synth (gasp!)

Hilevelt

Casio CZ's are wonderful, you hear cz-101's all over hip hop tracks. The VZ's are more powerful but are supposed to be hard to edit. DX7 keyboards have a breath controller input and a controller fader in addition to the normal pitch and mod; I always kinda liked programming them in a random sort of way.

Message 4/5             16-Feb-98  @  10:58 AM   -   RE: I need a digital synth (gasp!)

kilo

Link?:  No link

yup true..... editing is a bloody nightmare on DX synths....... how about a proteus......(ONLY if you can get an editor....... they have great paiano's but also great emu synth sounds..... but as for editing...... dunno how easy they are without a dedicated editor,....... they are very cheap tho....... or a d-110...... good piano's etc..... plus very good filters and again...... piss-cheap........oh shit yes.... you want a keyboard...... hang on.....

Message 5/5             16-Feb-98  @  09:17 PM   -   RE: I need a digital synth (gasp!)

Sedusa

Yea, I learned to play keyboards on the DX7II and the Proteus rack they had at school (It was community college, dammit, I'm not a uni wanker!)... They just had the DX rigged as a controller, tho, never got to get into it's guts... I liked the feel of that board tho... The proteus DID have some good piano sounds, (It also had some really LAME sounds, too, and seemed pretty presettish... ) I actually saw a Proteus 1 keyboard version for 500 bucks (Not that I have it) but they're so uuuuugly.... I dunno...

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)