aaa Audio CD Copying - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Audio CD Copying

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             03-Mar-98  @  10:22 PM   -   Audio CD Copying

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

System:
Chaintech 6LTM LX motherboard with Pentium II 300MHz, 64 MHz SDRAM, UDMA h/d etc. You would think this would be quick enough to make an audio cd?
Creative CD2423E cd drive and hp 7100i cd-rw drive both on secondary IDE port.
Everything works ok except:
I can't do a cd to cd copy of an audio disc, ie from the Creative 24x player to the hp writer. About 1% into the first track is ok - the player is flashing it's led as it empties it's cache presumably, as it is silent and not spinning. When the cache empties, it spins up to speed but not quick enough for the writer which can't wait that long and gives a 'buffer under-run' error.
Software is Adaptec Easy-CD 95 v2.11, Windows 95 4.00.950B. System setup is as standard installation except i.e.4 is installed although without the active desktop. Performance/file system/cd-rom is set to 'Quad speed or higher' with 'Large cache (1238k)'. I've also tried Adaptec's Easy_CD Audio v3.01a but this tells me that the Creative drive doesn't support audio extraction.
Presumably there needs to be a way of keeping the reader spinning all the time or of warning it in advance of when the buffer is about to empty so it can get ready??
Anyone clever out there????????????

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             04-Mar-98  @  09:20 AM   -   RE: Audio CD Copying

Clemens.Kurtz

Hi!

You donīt have a really fast equipment, to do some CD-Audio copy jobs !!. Well... your board is fine, your
processor too, but ..... your HD and BUS equipment... not
so good, man.

Why didnīt you install an SCSI controller (ADAPTEC 2960 UW) in combination with an IBM DCAS 4 GB drive?

I have the following devices installed in my PC and
Audio-CD copying with Easy CD works really fine and
absolutely without any buffer underrun:

SCSI Adaptec 2960 UW, IBM DCAS, Yamaha CDR 400 and Toshiba
SCSI CD-drive....

Buffer underrun means, that the stream of data interrupts
while you are doing some copy jobs to your CDR. In some
cases, the CDR-drive can fix for 1-2 sec this interrupt,
using its internal cache, but when your E-IDE-setup
is too slow, the data-stream is interrupted too long and
you will get these buffer underrun message.

Did you set up the burning speed of your CDR to single
speed?

I know its frustrating, but dont look too much at the
processor performance (my PC has "only" an Intel P233)
but install a fast and reliable SCSI-equipment and
all CDR jobs will work fine.

Good luck

Clemens

Message 3/7             05-Mar-98  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: Audio CD Copying

steve_hunt

Yes I've tried single and double speed. I also had a Plasmon SCSI blower and Adaptec 2920 PCI card and this was worse. It crashed sometimes as well as making enough coasters to cover the walls!
I'm sure all my problems only started when I changed from a 6 speed Teac (EIDE) source cd drive to the 24 speed Creative (EIDE) source. What I think is happening is that it runs out of data because the source stops spinning. At the start of the first track the source spins up and fills some ram buffer then it gets bored and falls asleap while the blower gets on with chugging through the ram buffer. Then the software gets near the end of it's buffer and asks the source for the next chunk, you can hear it start to spin up but too slow because that's when the buffer overrun happens. I don't think it's transfer speed, it's spin-up time of the Creative. I feel like hard wiring it's motor so it stays awake!
I can make data cds fine including large audio-size files. I don't understand why this should be any different - the source seems to keep spinning with big data files, perhaps they're read in smaller chunks?

Message 4/7             06-Mar-98  @  09:53 AM   -   RE: Audio CD Copying

Spot

Link?:  Link

Your problem is obvious, youe got an IDE CD-RW

Get a scsi writer and your problems will be no more

Message 5/7             08-Mar-98  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: Audio CD Copying

I used to burn CDs with a P-90, all I needed was my YAMAHA CDR 400 SCSI Drive and a good card and everything was fine. Now I have a pii 233 and it works basically the same. GO WITH SCSI

-GoRK

Message 6/7             08-Mar-98  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: Audio CD Copying

Steve

But the problem is with the reading, not the writing! SCSI for the writer won't help here. If I copy audio wavs onto the hard disk it all works fine, so hard disc, EIDE and EIDE writer are fine. Problem is READING the source cd because the bastard reader falls asleap and stops spinning. This problem doesn't arise when readind from source to hard disk because the h/d is fast enough to keep asking the source cd for data but when writing to a cd at single or double speed the source gets bored and falls asleap.
If I could get a 32x speed writer I bet I wouldn't have a problem!
Don't tell me SCSI will help. I know it doesn't because I had a SCSI writer and PCI card and that just crashed and ate cds up.
I don't need speed, I need to keep the reader awake.

Message 7/7             10-Mar-98  @  09:29 PM   -   I have a solution

Why don't u copy the SOURCE CD to your HD first. That's what I do.

-GoRK

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)