aaa Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ????????????? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

Viewing all 28 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/28             06-Mar-98  @  11:32 PM   -   Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

kilo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

here ya go Acid...... check this iste out for the midi-channel-off thing, plus loads more..... it's the best MC303 site i've seen in hours of browsing.....

http://www.quantize.com/mc303/

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/28             07-Mar-98  @  07:02 AM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

acid cat

Thanks for letting the world know I've got a MC-303. For the record everyone, it was `thrown in' for an additional $100 as a package deal when I bought the JP8000.
And thanks for the siteaddress Kilo....I'll check it out. (I still love the MC-303. I don't care what anyone says)

Message 3/28             07-Mar-98  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

Puffy

Ain't that cute, Acid Cat and Kilo.....er....

Message 4/28             07-Mar-98  @  10:53 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

kilo

yeah yeah.... we believe you got it ....er....... 'thrown-in'...... sure........ (no really it's true !!)....

Message 5/28             08-Mar-98  @  02:39 AM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

acid cat

Puffy, what are you on about.... `Acid Cat and Kilo'... you Poofy Homeboy Twat ( words from the almighty Spot, I think).

Kilo you bloody skeptic, I'd have no qualms admitting to any purchase, or how much I paid. I'd long ago decided I wouldn't fork out $1200 for a MC303 with so many limitations, but for $100 its an awesome sound module and creative tool. Surely you're aware of the indroductory package deal Roland was doing around June last year ie: Buy a JP, get the MC `free'..that sort of thing. I'm really pleased with it; as a beginner I learned a few things from it like step recording, basic sequencing etc. Together with software synths like Rebirth, its a decent learning tool for someone who's never programmed or sequenced drum patterns before..

Message 6/28             08-Mar-98  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

Kilo

It was only a joke Acid

Message 7/28             08-Mar-98  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

Puffy

No shit, Acid... that promo was only in AUS? $1200 for a MC303, DAMN!!! You think
the 505 is worth its price though?

Message 8/28             09-Mar-98  @  05:58 AM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

smiley

Yeah,that step programming is a real bear to learn!! Take about 2 seconds to get yer head round. I think a drum editor on Cubase would be a better way to learn drum programming rather than a mc303. You can't change the velocity or play around with beats the same way as an s/ware sequencer.

Message 9/28             09-Mar-98  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

Avene

Link?:  Link

Why don't you try sawing it in half? It seems a pretty popular thing to do around here, with gear.

Message 10/28             09-Mar-98  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

acid cat

I'm sorry to say it took me more than two seconds to sort out step recording on the mC303, Smiley you condescending prick. But thanks for the advice about the drum editor on cubase and software sequencers in general; I've got cubase and a few other sequencers, but I'm still new to them.

Message 11/28             09-Mar-98  @  01:33 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

Spot

Well, I`m not ashamed to say i own an MC303 aswell, its a great little "tool" to have, When i got it people were saying ahh load of old bollocks them 303`s, there not like the real 303s, well, there not supposed to be dickhead was my usual reply, But never the less, i love my little silver box.

Message 12/28             11-Mar-98  @  05:50 AM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

kid303

Acid cat,whatb do you think of the JP8000 ? I'm in the
market for a virtual analogue synth.

Message 13/28             11-Mar-98  @  06:56 AM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

Avene

I don't know what she thinks of hers, but I hate them, and would never a buy one. I tried it out in a store when it was first released, and it sounded totally crap, and very 'digital', in a really bad sort of way. The top end is appalling, and you don't get that sparkly, tingly sound that you get from real analog gear, or other keyboards such as the Nord or Yamaha.

Have a listen to some old Kraftwerk, electro, or anything that was totally analog, on CD if possible, and then have a listen and compare it to the JP8000 demo's on a Future Music, or Mix cover CD. You'll hear what I'm talking about. If anything, I'd say the the Nord 2 would be the one to go for. I haven't heard the Access or SupaNova by the way.

Message 14/28             11-Mar-98  @  09:40 AM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

acid cat

Avene. Now youre in trouble, insulting my baby like that, you jealous homey puff-daddy boy. The JP aint made for hip hop shit, so thats probably why you didn't take to it. I've checked out the Yamahas and Nord but they're not in the same league. They're good, but they're not true acid toys like the JP is. The sounds on the JP are real fat, complex, and yes, the demos I've heard are crap. In my humble opinion, the JP rips when it comes to fat, wicked, acid sounds, especially the baselines....theres nothing else like it (that I know of) Its also got a heap of real nice and unusual ambient patches.....again, the sounds are complex, layered, original. The real time controllers make it a joy to play. My only critiscm is the 8 voices; but its not a piano now, is it?
Oh, kid, check out the Roland `groovesynth' too...a new release with 303-like controllers.

Message 15/28             11-Mar-98  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

Avene

I'm serious Acid.....Techno, acid house, electro, synth pop, whatever... It makes no difference, in my opinion, the JP8000 sounds as weak as piss... I've been buying synths for years and always listen for the differences in sound quality... If you really think it's that good, put it up against a real 303, an SH101, a Moog (any model will do), an old Juno or a much newer Pulse.. I garauntee you'll hear what I'm talikng about.. It's like comparing a badly mastered CD to nice 45rpm vinyl 12" single. The analog will always sound warmer and brighter... When I tried it out, I was on it for a few hours, and in that time i had a go at programming all my favourite analog sounds, and whatever I tried sounded fake and un-natural. You'll get much better results from a K2000, even though it doesn't have knobs.. I actually much prefer the sound of the Vaz softsynth, that's wicked, and free!!!

At the same time, it's natural for all of us to strongly defend the gear we own in order to convince others that we haven't made a bad purchasing decision... When I owned my Pro Mix 01 mixer, after a while a got really annoyed with the crappy sound quality (digital again!!).. The thing is, there's no way I would have said to anyone back then "Hey, I've bought a lemon here". I had to defend that bit of gear for as long as I owned it, just so that anyone I knew didn't think that I was a loser for buying it when it wasn't that good.. Now, I don't know if this is how you are with your JP... I mean, like, if you didn't like the thing, there's no way you'd tell us here, is there?..As long as that's your Baby, you're gonna stand up for it, and not let someone such as myself give it a good bagging...Well, what do you think ???

Message 16/28             11-Mar-98  @  01:06 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

Avene

And another thing, I once owned an MC303 aswell... Yeah sure, I was a dickhead for thinking it was good and buying it in the first place, and had a bloddy hard time convincing friends that I'd bought a mad bit of gear, but luckily I was able to take it back and exchange for something else.

Look at Spot defending his MC303 in the above thread.. I mean Spot, do you really like it, or are you just having trouble trying to get a good price for it?? Don't worry too much, as I said above, it's natural to defend the gear we own, just to prove our friends wrong.

Another thing, although you're all pretty positive about the 505, I bet, that in the back of your minds you're all pissed off that you're stuck with the older model and can't think of a reason for owning both of them.

Message 17/28             11-Mar-98  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

acid cat

Well I'm not some egotistical pre-pubescent with an underdeveloped personality Avene. It completely doesn't phase me to admit to the limitations of the gear I own. In fact its a very good hobby, taking the piss out of one's self for ones own financial blunders.

What kind of self-deluded person tells others that some bit of gear is so great, just because they bought it? Sorry if you have suffered from this personality defect in the past. Theres no set-in-stone dogma when it comes to tastes in sounds, otherwise we'd have only one genre of music. I truly love my JP, it sounds really wicked, its a pleasure to use, and I have gone to the trouble of toying with a lot of other `dance' synths for comparisons. Of course it sounds bloody `unnatural'; its a techno music tool. To my ear, its what I want in a synth (except those damned 8 voices)

Message 18/28             11-Mar-98  @  01:26 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

Avene

I'm not talking about any particular genre of music here. The JP8000 has 24db, and 12db filters, so, should be able to produce any type of well known analog sound for any genre of music, and it does, but it's the actual quality of the sound that I hate. It's very harsh, compared to a real analog. I'll say it again," It makes no difference what sounds it produces, it's the sound quality I'm talking about".

I once owned a CS1x aswell. I used it in tracks alongside my Pulse, but because the Pulse was a truly analog synth with a Moog style filter, it made the CS1x sound like some dodgy Casiotone in camparison. I eventually sold the CS1x and bought an old Ensoniq SQ80 for $700.. Now this machine has real analog filters, and although the oscillators are digital, it does sound really nice when used alongside the Pulse. I have a Poly 800 aswell, which sounds beautiful also, except that the batteries died and I lost all my sounds.. I'd much rather hang on to my $700 SQ80 than get a digital clone such as your Baby. It has 3 oscillators, unlike the 2 on your's.

I'm honestly not trying to sound like some know it all wanker here, but once you start recording tracks and releasing them, you'll pick up on all these things.

Message 19/28             11-Mar-98  @  02:29 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

Spot

Fistly, i love my mc, because i just do, so bollocks
Secondly, you anologue purist freaks.....Sod Off !, yes we know there anolouge, Yes we know there superior to digital, but for f**ks sake shuttup about it, there  

Message 20/28             11-Mar-98  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

acid cat

Yeah right, fake analogue digital synths rule.!!!!!!!

Message 21/28             11-Mar-98  @  04:52 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

Blunted

I bought the prophecy, I do like the sound, the quality
is good..Yes? So what if it's not analog.....at least it
won't break in 6 months....Heh

Message 22/28             11-Mar-98  @  04:52 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

steve

TV test gear is best. So Shaaat it!!!!!!!!

Message 23/28             12-Mar-98  @  12:59 AM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

acid cat

I'd just like to say my home entertainment skills have deteriorated to a more comfortable level since I acquired the MC303. Now, instead of having to make polite conversation with the various wired and acid-freaked tossers who frequent my house, I just steer them in the direction of the mc303. That way, they're occupied for hours and I don't have to politely listen to them rant on with their acid talk.

Message 24/28             13-Mar-98  @  01:44 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

Avene.

What, do they all walk over to it and bag the crap out of it??? Sorry, just joking. Analog purist, yeah right, whatever you say. I've only got 2 purely analog synths, the Pulse and Micromoog. If you're after fake digital analog, get a copy of Reality for your PC, it kicks ass. Generator sounds really nice also. That's the thing, I don't think you really need to go for a hardware fake analog synth when you can just download software that does the same thing. Maybe it's some sort of knob preoccupation you all have.

That new Yamaha synth sounds alright, but it's got no knobs from what I remember...

Message 25/28             13-Mar-98  @  03:16 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

acid cat

I believe a healthly `nob' fixation is a benefit to a woman's life Avene. And a plus for her lovers.

Message 26/28             13-Mar-98  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

kid303

Being digital does not mean inferior to analogue. It's that kind of bullshit that has led to the 303 going for over a grand at one point..i mean c'mon!!

Message 27/28             20-Mar-98  @  09:38 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

j_and_r

march 1998

I just bought this goodie a month ago. It's a cool goodie!
Just now I finished my 1st song but I could not manage to store the song setup-write. Things like
delay-settings 'n stuff.
Now everytime when I boot my 303 I have to reset all this shit to my liking before I playback my
song!
how do I do this? I think I'm overlooking something.
please help me.

Message 28/28             21-Mar-98  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: Acid_Cat - MC 303 questions ?????????????

kilo

check the guys at the site listed at the start of the thread..... it's the best mc-303 site i've seen....

Viewing all 28 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)