aaa Getting That "Sound" - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Getting That "Sound"

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             09-Mar-98  @  12:58 AM   -   Getting That

bgirar51

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

How ya doin? The sound I'm talking about is, pretty much any CD you buy (electronic music), and it's got that sweet fuckin butter sound. Everthing can be heard clearly, and even the lows are crisp. Now I've been reading all sorts of mags like Keyboard, Electronic Musician, Future Music and what not, and I've picked up quite a few tips on compression, and reverb, but I still can't get that "Sound". I'm currently using making waves,, cubasis, and couple other programs So how can I get that huge, full, big ass sound???
Any ideas???

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             09-Mar-98  @  01:19 AM   -   RE: Getting That

ratfink

compression and hot levels

Message 3/10             09-Mar-98  @  02:24 AM   -   RE: Getting That

bgirar51

What are hot levels? And theres got to be more to it than just compression, right?

Message 4/10             09-Mar-98  @  05:31 AM   -   RE: Getting That

kilo

now hold up........ probably, the stuff your listening to was done on outboard midi kit mixed through a decent desk to dat........ if you're using the programmes you listed only, then i guess your doin it in the pc corect ?..... are you listening and comparing via your soundcards outs..amp..speakers ?....... or are you going out via s/pdif to dat >> amp>>speakers...... cos if the first one, probably that is why..... maybe there is some small amount of stereo compression on the whole mix....but really thet is academic if your audio outs /record outs, and general audio out sectiuon is lacking in fidelity....... if yes.... then really the way to go (if your happy with the tracks and want to get them out..) is to get an s/pdif card and a dat.... you can monitor via the dats analog outs....and you'll get the audio you listen to as direct to high quality external outboard converters on the dat... as good as you can get......plus you get a stereo dat master unit of course... but it kills two birds with one stone... admittedly at a higher cost than a very good stereo analog out card..... you may be surprised at the sound quality when heard this way..... anyhow.... basically... how good is the output from the pc ?

Message 5/10             09-Mar-98  @  11:10 AM   -   RE: Getting That

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

Basically
, I've eliminated my stereo and become completely computer dependant... as I've got a 4 CD Rom changer, I don't give a shit about my Hifi anymore and I just use the amp... I play CDs thru my computer.... So, I listen to all my music thru my soundcard, (with the notable exception that when I play CDs, my EQ is ON, and when I play my wave audio, my EQ is FLAT)... So I compare MY music to my favorite CDs, minus EQ, thru the same system (It's all routed to the HIFI)... And if I'm trying to emulate a sound, I'll listen to it and then compare it against my music... And I try to get my music to sound as good as the CDs do with EQing, except nudging it within software, so that it's already the way I want to hear it without having to give me an inaccurate signal... Since merging my Wave audio system and my CD player, my mixes have gotten noticably better... And a thing I've learned is, simple things like relative volumes of tracks can add SO much to the music.. I mean, mastery of levels is really key...

Message 6/10             09-Mar-98  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: Getting That

bgirar51

Yes I am running on PC, and my sound card is the original one from the factory. 16 bit, and both the in and the out are just them mini, wannabe 1/4 inch jacks. I am considering getting a new sound card, but really how much difference would it make? I'm kinda looking at the AWE 64, do you think it's worthwile, cause I havn't really heard anything about it. It says its got digital out which probably isn't to great without digital in right?
One more question, does the quality of your mixer severly affect the sound? In terms of a thousand dollar Mackie, to a five hundred dollar Yamaha.???????????

Message 7/10             10-Mar-98  @  12:18 AM   -   RE: Getting That

kilo

well, you can 12.000 dollars of gorgeous mixer, and still make a boring track..... my mate got a mackie 12:2......and he's been going mental about it......

Message 8/10             18-Mar-98  @  06:00 AM   -   RE: Getting That

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

I've got a cheap Roland line mixer that sounds quieter than my Mackie 1604 'cause there's no eq's or -pre's to mess it up. Just get enough aux's and you're good.

Message 9/10             18-Mar-98  @  01:45 PM   -   RE: Getting That

fergm

Kilo:
I know you have mentioned before that the DAT is the best way to go as an external recorder and level monitor, and I know that people have disagreed with you because of the price etc. I want to know if there is an alternative to the DAT which can accomplish the same thing you desribe in your response to bgirar51 above. Is there something that, combined with a digital out, can let you hear the "true" sound of your music?

Message 10/10             18-Mar-98  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: Getting That

self_osc

A cheaper alternative to Kiloīs idea of use the DATīs
converters:
buy a Philips DCC and use it the same way
The DCCīs converters are 18 bits and sound really HOT!
Donīt fool about the compression scheme of the DCC,
because itīs performed between the tape and the
converters, so you donīt have any compromise in your
sound.
I use it with the S/PDIF outs of my AWE64 GOLD and
the sound is fucking good.
Plus, you get a decent stereo digital mastering tool with
digital I/O.
Dan

And...KILO, please see the :
>>>>ANALOG BEATBOX EMULATION section,
I was asked you about some info, PLEASE!

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)