aaa Why or when do you need a patchbay? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Why or when do you need a patchbay?

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             17-Mar-98  @  10:41 PM   -   Why or when do you need a patchbay?

Ellenyb

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Well now I have a drum machine, and before I buy something to hook it up I need a little education in the matter.
I use a sequencer which can record audio and midi, and I could get a sound card that has a bult in mixer, I still need an outboard mixer right? Because my midi interface only has 1 in/out for the keyboard. If I get a midiman 2 ins/outs then the drum machine wouldn't be heard because the audio out has nowhere to go because my amp is hooked up to the keyboard right? SO, I'm back to where I started right? Ok so lets say everyone agrees I must use an outboard mixer. What is a patchbay for? Doesn't the drum machine midi in and out plug into the mixer and also the audio of the drum machine ? So even if I got a sound card with a mixer built in , how would you hook up the keyboard and drum machine? And if I get a mackie, then I will only be able to use as many channels as the mixer has? When you think about it , 3 or 4 tracks or channels for drums, 16 for keyboard, 8 for audio.....Hmmm . I don't want to combine tracks . Can someone let me know if I will definetly need a mixer, and will I need a patchbay ?
I think I'm begining to understand that even if the audio card has analog outs it's not going to convert midi to analog. They should make them like that then you wouldn't need to worry about where to plug all the analog outputs on all your midi gear. Do most amps only have one right and left input? Sorry for all the dumb questions. And thanks for everyone who helps me figure out how this is going to fit together.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             17-Mar-98  @  10:42 PM   -   Why or when do you need a patchbay?

Ellenyb

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Well now I have a drum machine, and before I buy something to hook it up I need a little education in the matter.
I use a sequencer which can record audio and midi, and I could get a sound card that has a bult in mixer, I still need an outboard mixer right? Because my midi interface only has 1 in/out for the keyboard. If I get a midiman 2 ins/outs then the drum machine wouldn't be heard because the audio out has nowhere to go because my amp is hooked up to the keyboard right? SO, I'm back to where I started right? Ok so lets say everyone agrees I must use an outboard mixer. What is a patchbay for? Doesn't the drum machine midi in and out plug into the mixer and also the audio of the drum machine ? So even if I got a sound card with a mixer built in , how would you hook up the keyboard and drum machine? And if I get a mackie, then I will only be able to use as many channels as the mixer has? When you think about it , 3 or 4 tracks or channels for drums, 16 for keyboard, 8 for audio.....Hmmm . I don't want to combine tracks . Can someone let me know if I will definetly need a mixer, and will I need a patchbay ?
I think I'm begining to understand that even if the audio card has analog outs it's not going to convert midi to analog. They should make them like that then you wouldn't need to worry about where to plug all the analog outputs on all your midi gear. Do most amps only have one right and left input? Sorry for all the dumb questions. And thanks for everyone who helps me figure out how this is going to fit together.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)