aaa MIDI problem...please help me! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: MIDI problem...please help me!

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             20-Mar-98  @  12:54 AM   -   MIDI problem...please help me!

ceres

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm using Cubase VST with my ESQ-1 synth and Alesis DM-5 drum module. Problem is, when I try to record and set channels to the tracks, I never get what I want to happen! My synth (which is multi-timbral) is set to channel 1 and my drum module is set to channel 2. When I record on a track, let's say with bass synth, and then record a second track with lead synth, Cubase screws up the programs never playing the sounds I intended it to! It will always play the (for example) lead synth track with the bass sound!!
My second problem is that when I select the track on channel 2 (where my DM-5 is set to), and play my keyboard, I don't hear just the drum module...it plays my current synth patch/program at the same time! Why is this happening to me? Can somebody help me? (I don't think this is really due to Cubase, but are there certain settings I've got wrong or something?) Help! I've been going crazy!

BTW...I do have the manual and online documentation but they are no help!

my MIDI set-up is...

MIDI out (ESQ-1) -->MIDI in (soundcard)
MIDI out (soundcard) ---> MIDI in (DM-5)
MIDI thru (DM-5) ---> MIDI in (ESQ-1)

my set-up is like this because the ESQ-1 has no MIDI thru...you think i should just get
a pathbay of some kind?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             20-Mar-98  @  05:20 AM   -   RE: MIDI problem...please help me!

Houseman

First off, if your Controller is Multi-timbral, you need to how many channels it will recieve on. I beleive the ESQ is 16 part multi-timbral which means it will recieve midi on all 16 of your midi channels.

Is the DM-5 multi-timbral? If it is, decide how many of its midi channels you want to use. For example:

ESQ recieves on midi channels 1 thru 8
DM5 recieves on midi channels 9 thru 16

If the DM5 is not multi-timbral, set it to midi channel 1, and only enable the ESQ to recieve on channels 2-16.

Set Cubase the same way. Create a bunch of tracks that will access the DM5 on its midi channel(s), and do the same for the ESQ.

Concerning your problem with sounds stacking on top of each other, you need to turn "local" off in the ESQ. I believe Ensoniq has a parameter in their synths that says "midi mode = ". You want to set this to "midi". This will force the synth to send out the note information to your computer without playing any of its internal sounds. Your computer will then route the note information to wherever it needs to go. Whether it is to your DM5 or back to the ESQ.

Message 3/3             21-Mar-98  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: MIDI problem...please help me!

kilo

check the MIDI section of this site..... it's all there......

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)