aaa Wavestation EX? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Wavestation EX?

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             22-Mar-98  @  07:06 AM   -   Wavestation EX?

fergm

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Kilo:
I read your section on the Korg Wavestation SR and was wondering if you've ever heard of a Wavestation EX. I just saw one advertised in a local paper for $800 Canadian, a price I can handle. The guy's also got 5 performance cards for $50 ea. Any thoughts?
Also, I just saw a Roland R8M for $400 which I would buy if it's any good for jungle/d'n'b style programming.
Thanks
PS Time is of the essence.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             22-Mar-98  @  12:33 PM   -   RE: Wavestation EX?

kilo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

ok..... the EX was an upgraded version of the original wavestation keyboard.......extra rom i think...

I dunno about the price... not sure about Canadian dollars..... over here in london , wavestations were about 650 s/h.... then they started dropping I've seen 'em for around 500 mark... so you work it out.... but bear in mind we are very spoilt for choice in London/UK.....

anyhow..... it has the Joystick for vector stuff, and programming.... it has extra memory from the original as far as i know.... bear in mind... no res' filters... now we are all so used to banging on about res' filters due to the old analog imitation thang.... they are not everything.... this is the ONLY different sounding synth out of the pack frankly.... it tends to excell at dark atmospheres, pads, and other weird shit..... you can kinda copy res' with built in fx, but if you want to do res filter stuff and analog imitations, i'd look again.... however if you want to get into programming wavesequences... I personally believe the wavestation series wavesequencing is still one of the few un-exploited sounds in dance.... but bear in mind the above... this is not a bigtime tuba's and bells synth (although it has bells)... but as above....weird stuff that can clock to midi, and the best pads and atmosphere's in the book.... also a decent keyboard which i think you'll find is velocity and aftertouch sensitive... one thing... the fx routing in multimode is obviously limited... and this can be a problem if you're heavily reliant on an fx for several sounds in multi-mode....

try this resource:

http://www.magic.ca/~lost/ws.html

The R8M is a great unit.... again i can't comment about the price, cos in London it's gear city...and it's so easy to haggle around....... but it is as good as anything for jungle d&bass etc... although, maybe it offers loads of facilities above what you might need.... perhaps even a humble HR16 is enuff for you.... I think maybe one does need to add sampled drum sounds for jungle etc due to the popularity of certain sounds/loops....it wont get you certain classic jungle snares etc... but that maybe you dont care about.... however, if you wanna do something 100% original, it's a good box....... and you can layer sounds to create loads of interesting snares etc..... bear in mind this total price for both units might get you something newer with maybe sampling also built in....but there is nothing on the market now like the wavestation series....just bear in mind they are bloody difficult to programme...untill you get your head round it.... your call ....

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)