aaa esi4000 or asr-x - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: esi4000 or asr-x

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             22-Mar-98  @  01:51 PM   -   esi4000 or asr-x

dchalfon

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

what's the best option EMU ESi-4000 or the Ensoniq ASR-x?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             22-Mar-98  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: esi4000 or asr-x

bob

Ensoniq samplers are shit. The ASR-X is their worst yet. Go for the E-mu. (that's got the built in zip correct ? fucking dogs bollocks.)

Message 3/15             22-Mar-98  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: esi4000 or asr-x

phaseloc

Ckeck out the MPC!!!!!

Message 4/15             22-Mar-98  @  10:29 PM   -   RE: esi4000 or asr-x

bob

Hell yea. MPC is da shiz-nit. You have to understand that the MPC and ASR X are not full featured samplers like the E-Mu. Check it out, Akai samplers are the tightest.

Message 5/15             23-Mar-98  @  09:09 AM   -   RE: esi4000 or asr-x

kilo

well, I dunno... the ASR_X is ok.....it's got a synth it it too, and it can do all that resampling with fx ........ dont slag it that much..... it's very similar to the mpc after-all......and it gets him a sequencer & synth too, unlike the esi.......

Message 6/15             23-Mar-98  @  11:41 AM   -   RE: esi4000 or asr-x

self_osc

kilo is right!, why all you say that the ASRX is a piece of
shit?, please say some objetive reasons.....I think this
machine is G-R-E-A-T!!!, after all what sampler offers
you all those features in the price range the ASR does?
Please donīt be so blind!
The ESI is a fine tool with really amazing filter power, but
I still think that the ASR give you more for your buck.
The resampling feature alone is enought reason to buy
one, also powerfull filters and FX.
My only complaiment when it was released was the lack
of pattern mode and sequence chaining, but both was
added in the latest operative system (v2.5), so the machine
is actually one of the most complete tools for groove-
-based music, a great compositional piece of gear.
The ESI gives you more poly and memory, but lacks the
pattern sequencer (believe me, computers canīt touch
this) and the resampling power.
But I love E-mu anyway, so I think you canīt go wrong
with the 4000......but not with an AKAI.
I donīt know what people see in AKAI samplers!, I canīt
understand it!.........weak filters.......no more expansion
options that other manufacturers (and there are nothing
out of this world)......I donīt know.....also the soooooo
aclamed MPC2000 canīt mapped a sample in a cromatic
way via MIDI!!!!...you can believe that????!!!!!!!!....you
canīt play a simple bassline with your sample from a MIDI
keyboard!!!!!......thatīs no my idea of a "Music Production
Center" .....itīs yours?

Dan

Message 7/15             23-Mar-98  @  01:56 PM   -   RE: esi4000 or asr-x

Houseman

And, the ASR-X will import akai S1000 samples, it will load .wav samples of any format (8 bit, 16 bit), the insert effects are excellent with plenty of variations for each effect, and if you add the Urban Dance card to the ASR-X, you have a very large library of great kits that can be used in R&B, Hip Hop, Techno, House, Jungle, etc. I find myself using the onboard drum kits all the time, and that saves me time.

If I decide to use a kit from a sample CD, I'll edit all of the sounds in Sound Forge, save them to my HD, and have the ASR-X load them up through the scsi chain.

Also, you can add an internal scsi zip drive to the ASR-X. Rubber Chicken Software has this available. They are also working on an editor for the ASR-X.

If you are doing any type of dance music, I would strongly recommend the ASR-X with the Urban Dance card, SCSI, and the Output X-pander.

Message 8/15             23-Mar-98  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: esi4000 or asr-x

Bob

Hey you lamers, Sample playback is NOT synthesis. How about in a year when those lame-ass "dance" sounds are passe ? I had an ASR-X for a week (because there was no local Akai dealer) but just couldn't hold on to something that I felt I was settling for. How about that crappy display ? no scsi standard ? shitty non-pressure sensetive pads (I don't mean velocity) ? only one midi out ? WAY limited sample editing ? WAY limited sequence editing ? no note repeat feature ? no slider built in ?

The ASR-X is a lame duck. When I had it it burped out sysex very un-smooth. I couldn't believe there was NO way to chain sequences together. The ASR-X is like the MC-303 of sapling. The fucking ad for it in this months keyboard has a mime in it. A MIME !!! That's a sure way to sell to the targeted dance-kiddie market.

All in all, the only strengths the ASR-X really has are as follows:

sample mapping to keys
better fx

That's it boys and girls. I have real world tested 'em and they just don't compare at all. Have you heard of midi slop ? If you're getting all of your sounds from one box as both machines are marketed, then there is NO way you are going to get remotely tight sequences. Hell, my MPCs' (2000 and 3000) kick Logic's ass. You guys don't know shit. Have fun.

Message 9/15             25-Mar-98  @  06:17 AM   -   RE: esi4000 or asr-x

phaseloc

You can mapp your samples to your key board on the
mpc!!!! Just rout the note number to the sample your
wanting to trigger from your key board. You can't
multisample but you can make coppies and tune.

Message 10/15             25-Mar-98  @  06:24 AM   -   RE: esi4000 or asr-x

bob

Yes, but it's not a truly practical solution.

Message 11/15             25-Mar-98  @  09:51 AM   -   RE: esi4000 or asr-x

kilo

listen Bob....I think you arent thinking it out quite right mate.....second,, you dont have to insult people to add your OPINION........... first up....the mpc is WAY LESS sophisticated as a sampler compared to the ASR-x....... second up.......you can transfer your midifiles over from any sequencer for live work.... third up resampling....yes resampling.....

C'MON MATE.... THE ABILITY TO RESAMPLE ANY COMBINATION OF ROM & RAM SAMPLES, IN ANY COMBINATION IN ANY EDIT SETUP, PLUS FX, PLUS THE SEQUENCE, PLUS ALL THE CONTROLLER DATA AND FX CONTROLLER DATA, AND ANY PARAMETER THAT IS INFLUENCING THE SOUND LOOP OR SOUND.??......it's a fucking moster facility !!!....... so I can dedicate 6 square waves to create a patch bass sound, then add fx, create a loop bassline....... add some controller stuff to the actual patch or fx as it plays the loops, then resample the whole loop !!!!!!!!!!...... isn't that a great facility ???.......

You could then set the bassline playing ....load up a groove template you'd created and saved...... build a drum kit with ANY combination of rom or original samples........ create a loop..... and even resample THAT to if you like...... so i could for example perform live cutting with a loop kit, or a combination of different drum loops over a midi played kit live.......

how about then recording in some live bassline.......thru the fx unit..... and add that to your groove....... and you can even resample ALL the drums, loops and bassline toghther complete with fx into another new loop....... the possibilities are endless.........and it's an open ended OS.....

so with that, and a FULL_FEATURED sampler .....complete with synthesis, and the ablity to create sounds with up to 128 layers with different synth settings for each layer with any combination of rom or original samples.........er....... WHY DO YOU SAY YOU COULDNT GET ANY ORIGINAL SOUNDS OUT OF IT ??..... or why do you feel you are limited to a playback use of the stock rom samples??.... weird ??................ maybe you havent a clue what you're doing ???...... .......4th up ...you can ad a scsi kit with 8 seperate analog outs.....which also adds an extra 4 fx busses to add to the already existing 2 fx buses, ..... and the 24mb dance rom card...... 5th...... you can record your fx manipulations and controller data to a sequencer track, and then resample it etc etc etc etc......... it's a bloody monster...ok.......like alot of synths it needs the expansions fitted to get it to top flight...the basic MR synth is not all that....but, I mean.....a K-2000 for example is not so versatile without the sample option added right ?!!....and that costs about 800 squids...... but, add the dance rom , and 25 squids worth of ram, (and the 8 out and scsi kit if you need it).... and i'd say it's the only unit I'd consider doing a gig with all in one..... BECAUSE... i can still make either original sounds, or standard dance sounds......and if i added a little 8 channel mixer, and some additional analog or whatever stuff, it'd just get better...... YOU CANT POSSIBLY COMPARE THIS WITH THE MC-303......they are not even in the same ball-park..

You say sample playback is not synthesis.....so if you believe that, why do you think the mpc is better ?.....after all, it's a sample playback drum box & sequencer basically........ fucks sake.....you can't even play chromatic scales with the mpc...just single shot samples....whereas the asr-x IS a synth too....and samples CAN be the root waves for synthesis........ all this akai talk.......... anyhow.....your obviously a man who knows what he wants and sticks to it right ?.... that's why you went for the asr-x, just cos there wasnt a local akai dealer !!!!..... that's hilarious......... so if there was only a local guitar shop.....would you have got a guitar instead ?..........

best of all, it's pc or mac compatible, with wav and dos files and apple aaif's being readable..... so just add the scsi option, and you have in essence a docking workstation that can function like a laptop to take your pc work out on the road.......

Message 12/15             25-Mar-98  @  11:45 AM   -   RE: esi4000 or asr-x

KILO

JUST TO AD DON, THE NEW S/W UPDATE AD'S THA ABILITY TO CHAIN SEQUENCES TOGETHER IN A NON DESTRUCTIVE WAY FOR LIVE SHOWS..... and the latest model ad's scsi as standard... er.... and er..... it reads akai over scsi....

Message 13/15             25-Mar-98  @  03:12 PM   -   phew!

MrSkul

damn, kilo! there's nothing left of the sod for me...

the ASR-X is a kick ass machine. fuck, the internal effects sound better than my Studio Quad! the choice over Akai was a no brainer: better effects, internal synth engine, badass filters, .wav file compatibility, and resampling. oh yeah, and did i mention resampling? i think kilo went over that, too...  

as for sample playback not being synthesis, well then i guess Wavetable sythesis is a gross misnomer, and all those virtual analog synths that are going for so much money aren't really synths at all. wait a minute, that means about 50% of all "synths" aren't really synthesizers!

it's a conspiracy... all these wasted years... how can i go on?!

Message 14/15             25-Mar-98  @  03:16 PM   -   and as to the original question...

MrSkul

if you're in the market for an all in one box, you might want to check out the Yamaha SU700, that is of course if it ever comes out... i gave up waiting, myself.

Message 15/15             25-Mar-98  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: esi4000 or asr-x

kilo

well, I taked with the distributors of Ensoniq today..... (in the uk)...... what a nice chap !!... grovel creep !!!...... anyhow........ it's a pretty cheap machine at 1100 squids inc vat RRP.....obviously, shops will have better deals..... so... get a new one.... and get scsi included !!... or get an older s/h one, and grab the free s/w OS to get extra facilities ...... seems like a great buy to me.... I'm kicking my own arse that i didnt investigate this unit in more depth before.... (hey but y'know how it is..... places to go...people to meet etc.... er.......).....
I honestly can't think of anything to touch this for live all in one use..... at that price..... anyone wanna buy a K-2000 ???

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)