aaa MIDI problems part 2... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: MIDI problems part 2...

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             25-Mar-98  @  12:54 AM   -   MIDI problems part 2...

ceres

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

thanks for the replys...i've set my synth to 'midi'...problem is now, that when i record with Cubase a drum part (with the drum mapper) it will play back what i recorded with different drum sounds than what i recorded with...the thing is, these sounds ARE NOT on the drum map!
why is this? BTW...the drum module is not multi-timbral and i'm only using one program...i've set it to receive on any channel...should i set it to a specific channel, and if so, what about the tracks? how will it know?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             25-Mar-98  @  04:17 AM   -   RE: MIDI problems part 2...

Houseman

Yes, set the drum module to recieve on its own channel. I suggest channel one or ten.

Cubase should allow you to set the midi channel for each track that you create.

I don't know about your drum mapper. Do you really need it?

Message 3/6             25-Mar-98  @  10:03 AM   -   RE: MIDI problems part 2...

kilo

sounds like your not setting up the drum map right.....EACH sound can have a different channel (inside the overall track channel..).... unique name, and IN note and OUT note...as well as other parameters.... so check it.... the names you see listed in a drum kit/map is a default names..... drag the bar across to reveal all the parameters...... name a sound... and set the out note correct for the sound you want your module/synth to playback....... set your synth/module to assign drums to channel 10....... then you need to turn OFF local control, and set your keyboard to output on channel -1..... check the midi section here, it'll tell you how to set-up a releiable midi chain-loop........ anyhow....... if you set the sequencer to highlite a track assigned to channel 10....it'll out data to the sequencer on channel-1.......the sequiencer will reroute it back to the synth on channel 10 to trigger the drum sounds as they are RECIEVED,.... not as you play them..... so you hear what will playback...when you hit the keys.....

once the drum loops is playing from the sequencer, you can enter the drum section on your synth, and check out sounds on different notes, then re-assign the IN-OUT note settings on cubase drum map to match the sounds you want to play......

Message 4/6             02-Apr-98  @  06:37 AM   -   RE: MIDI problems part 2...

RIJKAARD

Although i work basically with Cakewalk, in general the
sequencing software follows the same rules.
Absolutely : you Must set 10 as the drum's midi channel

Message 5/6             02-Apr-98  @  10:59 AM   -   RE: MIDI problems part 2...

kilo

Well actually, you can put the drums on any channel you like.... it just so happens that for GM standard, channel 10 is allocated to drums..... so maybe it's an idea to use that channel... now... here's the drum map set-up procedure...... you may think it a pain in the arse..... but it is actually a VERY useful facility, and to my mind the best feature of cubase..... (check the cubase page in the s/w section where it is explained how it is useful).......I'D ADVISE YOU STRONGLY TO USE IT...

Anyway...... Depending on the version of cubase you use...... first..... decide a drum channel.... perhaps 10 is a good idea, cos even tho you may not use a GM system, at least your midifiles will have the drums on the correct channel..... and with drum-map.... it's a snip to re-assign the out-note values so a person with a GM system could listen to your drum tracks with ease.....

OK.......first select a track.....

2. set it to channel 10...... and your drum box to recieve on channel 10....

3. ok with old cubase atari versions...... go and click the Info set-up..(it's in EDIT menu I think).... and select drum-map ON...... YOU MUST DO THIS BEFORE YOU BEGIN.......otherwise notes may become invisible if you build a drum part, and THEN switch drum map on........

For current & recent versions select the drum-stick icon next to the track channel number & name..... You will see a small little 1/4 note icon next to the track name...... click it and hold..... a drop down select list appears..... select 'Drum'....now it shows a drum stick.....(actually it looks more like a piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken... but what the hell !!)

4. Ok...... now set your track locate L & R markers to position L=bar-1.....R=bar-2..... so you have a 1 bar loop......

5. now, double click in-between the two markers adjacent to the highlighted track that is set to 'Drum', and a blank empty 'Part' appears..... (the bit with notes in it)

6. ok..... double click on that part and the drum grid appears........

7. ok....... drag the seperating bar across as far as it will go to the right, exposing all the note settings running from Left -> Right

8. ok....... name the kik drum or leave it as it is..... and set the IN note to whatever note you wish to use on your master keys to trigger the Kik-Drum on your drum box..........

9. Now set the OUT note number to whatever note in your drum-box is assigned to the desired KIK-drum......

10 repeat for each drum........re-naming each drum as you go.....

11. You'll notice across from the IN & Out note values that there are 4 selectable values marked as: LEV1 - LEV2 - LEV3 - LEV4........ these are the default Note VELOCITIES........ you can select 4 pre-set note velocities for each different drum....... so when you input note data with a pencil or brush tool, if you simply click in a note on the grid.... it will be installed with the LEV1 velocity setting....... if you input a note whilst holding down either of the CTRL or SHIFT keys.... or CTRL & SHIFT together, it defaults to set one of the 4 pre-set velocities........ individual drum notes can then be further edited for velocity (volume) to get the groove really riding along........ If you play notes in manually from a keyboard,pads, whatever, these 4 default velocity settings are ignored..... they are just to get a fast 4 available levels when inputting notes with a tool from the tool-box

If you dont know how to open up the lower Control section..... it appears Below every edit grid window whether you are in Drum or Piano roll edit mode........ If you look , you'll see a tiny icon on the bottom-left of the edit-window frame..... it's got a small squiggle symbol on it...... click it....... and the Controller section appears below the edit-grid........ Select a Drum sound by clicking on a drum-name to high-lite that sound...... then if you click the larger icon that displays the type of control data (it appears with the control area)....... you can select velocity...... You will see that if you select a different drum sound........ the notes appear in the control section as different height ladders below every corresponding note.... (this is the same in piano-edit too)......... ok simply use the pencil to edit individual drum hit velocities.......
... there's more.......

You will notice, when you pull the deviding bar across to expose the details of the sound settings, that EVERY Drum Sound/Note can have a different channel and also midi output....... also, you can set each sound/note to have a different Quantise value....... so if you want to input a row of 64th notes over 4 bars to do a fast snare roll crescendo for example.... set the snare to 64 notes (demi-semi-quavers) and if you then select the BRUSH tool (looks like a bloody great wallpapering brush), and drag it across from left to right... it will input a row of notes at 64th intervals !!........ to do a fade up over the bar/s, simply select the Velocity setting in the lower Control section and then select the + symbol (Cross-hair tool) from the toolbox....... click it in the lower control area, at the desired start point of the crescendo, & at the desired volume/velocity (vertical height in the control area)...... hold down the mouse and drag to the right...... a line appears.....drawn from the start position.......Ok.... drag across to the desired end point, then release........ if you select a higher position at the release point, it will set all the individual note velocities in an upward ladder as set by the line that is drawn between the start & end points , each note a fraction louder than the one before....it's a simple way to input rising velocity or in piano roll edit you could use it to set say a rising filter cut-off or whatever.......

Ok....... next you have in the note-info area..... (the right side of the sound/note names)..... another setting called LEN....... that is note length, or the time the note plays after being triggered expressed as a quantise value...... ok..... some people when using a sampler to do drums, will set the decay/sustain of a drum sample, such as a sustained kik, or crash as a controlled by midi note length..... others set it so it requires only that the note is triggered, and it will play it's full sustain/decay loop regardless of note length.... (fixed sustain-decay envelope)

If you set your drum sample to have it's decay/sustain affected by midi note length, then you can use that setting to default each sample to a set length after being triggered.......

If you use a drum-box..... those useually play the whole sample length once it recieves a midi-note trigger.... regardless of midi note length....... if that is the case..... set the LEN of each note in drum map to it's lowest value...... This SAVES HUGE amounts of memory when saving drum parts to floppy disk....... as all that unwanted note length is not used, and memory is saved.......so set it to 64 if you use a drum box.....

Oh well.... that's how to use it.......obviously you can create different drum maps for different drum boxes or sampler drum set-ups whatever......... Many drum maps are available for cubase for different drum machines, but it's a piece of piss to create your own..... You can save them as .DRM drum maps, and load them into songs for use........you can for example make a drum map including ALL your drum box sounds (if the drum machine allows you to allocate it's entire sample memory to midi notes)....... the you can click and drag different drum sound/notes up from the list so they are at the top of the list all together, and easily editable as they are all visible...... that saves you having to scroll up & down the drum list to input new drum notes for a choosen sound.......

The best bit about drum-map, is that regardless of what notes were used to trigger the drum parts when they were composed, it's a snip to re-assign the OUT notes when re-mixing, or working over at a freind's house or in a studio..... to send the drum-pattern notes out to trigger different new note numbers on a sampler, a different drum box, or whatever..... So much easier you'll agree than either changing all your sampler or drum-box drum-sound to midi-note assignments, or manually altering the drum note's in the actual midi composition.......

Another useful thing is that for a performance, you can alloctae NEW IN notes....... so that you can leave your sampler or drum box with it's notes set as usual.... but trigger the samples/drum box sounds live by allocating new IN notes........ you could then for example allocate keys C7-C#7-D7-D#7-E7-F7-F#7 etc on your master keyboard to trigger the selected sounds....... leaving the lower area of your master keyboard free to do some bass-end stuff on a keyboard midi channel split set-up...... whatever......

Also..... with the ability to assign drum sounds to different outputs and midi channels inside drum map .......(REGARDLESS OF THE OVERALL DRUM MIDI CHANNEL).... it means you can use the overall drum set on channel 10, but allocate certain individual sounds inside the drum kit to play out on different midi channels & ports to trigger new sounds outside of the drum box or whatever..... VERY useful

VERSATILITY is the key word for the Cubase drum map..........

If only Steinbergs support was as good as drum map !!!..........

Message 6/6             02-Apr-98  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: MIDI problems part 2...

DIGS

I agree KILO, drum mapping is my favorite feature in cubase as well.I must admitt though there are more obvious ways to lay down some drums in cubase,and I did pass up this feature for quite some time when i first got the program,but now that I have taken the time to understand the features and how much time you can save I will never go back!!!

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)