aaa what new features for dancetech ???... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: what new features for dancetech ???...

Viewing all 34 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/34             25-Mar-98  @  09:47 PM   -   what new features for dancetech ???...

kilo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

well, the sampler section is gonna get updated, so each sampler manufacturer has it's own section, with a dedicated chat room....... and I'm gonna add RA audio files to the fx section to demo fx so people can hear them........ but... what would you like to see....... er..... and forget the..."downloadable cracks& warez" idea....... ideas ??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/34             26-Mar-98  @  12:35 AM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

mylazone

Pro- Tips on sequencing!!!!!!!!

Message 3/34             26-Mar-98  @  09:51 AM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Maybe sound design tips, so people can check it before coming to chat asking "What synth does Josh Wink use, I MUST have it!"

Message 4/34             26-Mar-98  @  11:10 AM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

mike

What about a search facility for the chat room - there's loads of good info there and it would be great to search for keywords that have been discussed.

Message 5/34             26-Mar-98  @  11:14 AM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

Avene

I'd love to see interviews with big name Dance Producers. Surely you could track down a few on the net. It would be extra recognition for them, and you could interview them in a chatroom, and then write it all down perhaps.

Message 6/34             26-Mar-98  @  12:47 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

fergm

I may be speaking too soon here, but I haven't yet found a section reviewing individual DAT machines and component CD burners, like that Philips unit. Did I miss that section? It would certainly be useful to me to be able to compare quality.
Ferg

Message 7/34             26-Mar-98  @  02:31 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

kilo

brillinat ideas guys.... especially like the chat search thing.... (er... but of course it does mean i have to retian akll the chat database archives on ther server.......

also like the dat comparison too..... even a list of models prices and basic specs would be good huh .......

as far as artist/producers interviews goes, i can and will be out to get some interviews when i stop working at the offices up here in a few days time..... so i'll strat to try to get some in about a months time......

sequencing tips..... yup good plan too........ all good....

but no sponsorship here...... so i gotta eat and pay for the kid too remeber !!!!.......

Message 8/34             26-Mar-98  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

kid303

How about some stuff on hard disk recording? Ie,is a dedicated machine better than a card? What format is best? Minidisk or zip drive?

Message 9/34             26-Mar-98  @  06:41 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

Breakfuck

Oh, what about a section about audio-only sequencers aka trackers. Fast Tracker 2 & Co kick the hell out of my Cubase (5 tracks) AND that dumb Making Waves program (hahaha that program must be out of the 'my first program' box).

Message 10/34             26-Mar-98  @  07:00 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

fergm

Kid303 beat me to my next posting. I'm very interested in buying a digital multitrack recorder like the Fostex DMT-8 or the Korg D8, but I'd like to know if I'll get more versatility from that Yamaha setup you just posted about.
I'm a big fan of dedicated machinery and hardware but I don't want to waste a ton of cash buying something I don't need. A section discussing the pros and cons of these machines woulf be a great help to me.
Ferg
PS This is about the best website I've seen.

Message 11/34             26-Mar-98  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

kilo

strange how such informed opinions always have no email address...... ......also I cant help it if you're running cubase on a P60 with 16mb ram...... the reason FT isnt listed here is that it only works with certain soundcards right.... err.... anyway....why are you so aggressive about it anyway..??.....do you have shares in the FTracker company or something ??.... or are you 16 and didnt get a fuck for 6 months or something ??

Message 12/34             26-Mar-98  @  07:03 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

fergm

PPS I need demo tape quality or higher.

Message 13/34             26-Mar-98  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

kilo

well...... it all depends really....... I too like and prefer hardware....... but... with something like the yamaha dsp system, or the Event, or Korg 12-12 whatever.... you CAN still have the audio (loops vocals & whatever) sent to a hardware mixer for mixing live... hands on, along with your midikit outputs......

I think the thing for me is, I can still bring in an external mix to blend with the pc audio.....

now.... pc systems..... I've been plugging them for over a year here now...... and you'll notice there is nO mac stuff..... why.... cos I TRULY believe, it will take over....

check it....... and you know full well, that we're gonna see an akai sampler etc on a card within a year... if they dont, they are gonna loose out BIG-TIME financially...... I CAN TELL YOU...... that in the trade right now..... the bottom has fallen out of the keyboard market... and what do you expect.... brit-guitar-etc pop has taken over from keyboard pop...... there are already enuff decent models available for any keyboard style music...... so the manufacturers are busy addressing the dance style sector......

the money has shifted to computers......

now,........ for bands, guitar etc etc.... there's nothing wrong with tape either analog or adat...... in fact.... I WOULD ALWAYS WANT TO TRACK A ROCK BAND WITH ANALOG TAPE as an engineer, cos it's the best for drums and guitars... loverly tape saturation..... nothing like it......

good sound quality IS NOT GOING TO GET A DEAL for you........ record companies dont like finished demo's........ they want to add their own input and record you themselves..... so for demo's frankly.....the material is the most important..... but

for dance... we are going for product from home.... and pc systems are ideal for the medium.....
now for me.... i do play acoustic, rock, metal, etc etc..... and I do want to do some songs with guitar etc....... so for me, I think that the pc is a viable medium.......

right now, we are at a stage where i can pick up the phone, and have a P2-233 with 64mb sdram in my house the next day for about a grand or less........ definately NOT more.....a P200mmx is gonna be even less.....

ok.....if i add a yamaha or event or korg system to this, I can pull in a pc system with multi-outs for the same price as a hardware unit.....

hardware units are great !!..... very immeadiate..... and frankly, i dont want to edit audio for guitar stuff...... i want to drop-in and record it ....or do it in one take..... so for that type of stuff, they are very good........ the only thing is....... ability to addd more starage space.... and in this area, you have to spend more money...... or get a cart system like the zip or jazz or minidisk units... they are all cool....... and alot of them read and wirte MTC, so for example my mate has a Fostex unit, and his sequencer cahses it around all day....... excellent.... and they are portable.... and that is probably the biggest point, cos you CAN zip round to your mates place to do some work......

but....... pc's are getting more powerful... and cheaper at the same time.... and with the type of stuff in/out wise that is already available, it is a good option..... cheap storage... onscreen operation.... and if you like, you can still simply hit record and multi-track like on a conventional tape unit.... you dont have to use any of the editing facilities...

dont overlook the adat..... if you look in the articles and features section...... I've explained a piss-easy way to get tracks over from your adat to the pc... and get them in sync on a pc multitrack......WITHOUT an adat 8 channel card...... now...... you'll loose a tad of quality.... but to prepare a demo compilation for cassette use to send out..... it wont make a fart of difference, cos casettes only have about 65bd of dynamic range anyway..... so it's easy to do, and you get great x-fades etc....

dont underestimate the adat...... they are cool..... but you'll loose a track when you add the timecode.....

i guess it's up to you really..... I can guarantee.... once your pc system is set-up and working..... if you DONT fuck with it...it'll work.... and it will keep on working... my pc hardly ever crashes..... and never when doing audio.... usually if it's going to crash, it'll do it when I'm doing graphics....... trouble is..... most of the problems are from SB awe users who are installing every freware game they can find on the web and magazine cover cdroms etc........ in the end.... if you are prepared to spend 1300 on a hardware unit... that WILL NOT play games, do graphics... browse the web etc... then why the fuck are people NOT willing to spend the same on a dedicated music pc ??....... even if you cannot afford a 2nd pc... it's a piece of piss to get a secod hard drive, and add a cheap 10 quid removeable tray system.....

I picked up a 3.5gb Fujitsu UDMA drive brand new last saturday for 90 quid !!.....add a tray/removable h/d kit for 10-12 quid.... and have 2 boot drives... one for music... and one for the rest.... simple..... then add permenant drives fro storage ......

obviously it seems loony to NOT take advantage of the web, and other apps...... so if audio is critical to you... get a dual boot drive setup.....

your choice is down to your pocket, and wether you want easy portability......anyway.... this whole myth about pc's NOT being portable..... fucks sake..... take it apart and rebuild it better !!....... here's how I insatlled my motherboard in the machine I'm building right now....

I bought a pck of BLU-TAK.. and added a decent blob to the foot of every m'board suppot peg.... then I rolled up 3 or 4 balls of blu-tak, and seated the M'board onto those so they compressed as the m'board was mated home with the locating legs.... then added 2 screws... ROCK SOLID !!

next up...... really lock in all your drives with plenty of bolts.....next up.... (optional).... if you have a simple soundcard with shitty minijack connectors... (THEY SHOULD BE FUCKING OUTLAWED !!)..... grab a spare slot blanking plate..... drill 2 holes in it to take a couple of cheap 1/4" jack- sockets...... and then solder some wires to it from the minijack connectors where they hardwaire to the board.... then screw in the blanking palte.... hey presto....1/4" outputs... SOLID !!......
if you're paranoid about the drive getting vibrated...... add some neoprene pads between the chassis and the drive... then screw it home.....

in the last 5 weeks, I've been lugging my P100 unit too and from my house (8 mile X-london card journey...on roads worse than those in Cairo !!!.... and I speak from experience, cos I lived in Cairo for almost a year !!!)..... and belive me... it's never failed once..... Graham (Freakuency Generator) plays all his RTSorce gigs and others with a PC... no problems.... he built a padded flightcase for the pc..... hey... YOU CAN GET RACKS for pc's y'know !!..... just check out say a RS catalog !!.... well solid Military spec rack cases......

so..... your call........ but bear in mind the now avalable card/system options..... and the fact that as I said.... a P2 233 (lowest available model) is now about 800-1000 and obviously, with 400mhz chips already out, you can upgrade to a 500MHZ processor in about 18 months for less than a P2 233 costs now....(I belive that IBM have made a working 1100mhz chip already !!)......it could be an investment.....cos it doent matter what else comes along.... if the system gets you the audio tracks you need NOW... why even bother to upgrade !!?......

Anyway.... I know several folks getting 8 tracks with a P200mmx, or an AMD K6 233....... so that means all you need is the s/w.... and a multi-in card (IF, you need to record more than stereo input at once..... .... and I'd say... it's well gonna be worth waiting for the yamaha system if you DO need multi in's..... otherwise, an Event Darla for a measly 299 (UK) will get you 8 outs for live hands-on mixing.........

so it's down to the portability issue really....and that extra choice factor that can't be explained... the feel factor...... do you want to sling it in a rucksack and take a bus...... take it on holiday etc etc.....

I would say.... DO NOT assume that thses hardware units are more reliable... my mate just had to send one back... and lost a song or 2.... and I know a guy with 3 sync'd Fostex units runjing as a commercial 24 track... who came intio the studio on monday to find to his horror that the Units had decided to paste 6 tracks over from one machine to another, deleting a bunch of drum & guitar tracks on the other unit..... IRRETRIEVABLE !!!........ ok... i wasnt there, and it's possible that he fucked up and didnt even realise.... but he said he didnt and that the track was fine when he powered down !!.......

tough descision I know..... compounded by the fact that music shops that sell the cards and s/w know fuck all about pc's !!!.... (this i can tell you is also a dilema for the manufacturers........)

so..... for demo's...... where noise isnt an issue..... even a Fostex A8 is a good buy.... BUT... problem is... a new set of heads costs more than a P200MMX machine !!!!.......

all i can say is...... a hardware unit being chased by an atari or whatever sequencer is a great system for guitar and other live-playing -audio type recording...... you choose......

the final option is...... hire a studio and concentrate on your live perfoming, and shows...... I FIRMLY BELIVE IN THIS FOR GUITARISTS AND OTHER LIVE PERFORMERS...... i've witnessed SO MANY good artists fget into a home studio and dissapear forever up their own arse-hole....

they cease doing shows.... they end up hardly ever playing a song all the way thru any more.... they loose finger strength etc etc..... but worst of all..... they never get out and meet people..... they are just stuck inside taliking about the next upgrade they are going to get ..... and ..."when i get the alex reverb..... then my tracks will be good enuff".....etc etc etc..... IT'S BOLLOX.....AND DANGEROUS.........

if you have a talent for performing/playing.... develop it.... nurture it... get out there and play and perform... let some other sad wanker look after the technical worries, and loose all their hair and suntan !!....... believe in yourself.... and it'll happen.......if you need to work out ideas for reference.... get a cheap portastudio....... sayonara

Message 14/34             26-Mar-98  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

kilo

i'll just add to that above..... a portastudio with a sync'd drum box..is all you need to make demo's of songs.....

Message 15/34             26-Mar-98  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

Breakfuck

Er, Kulo, there must be a misunderstanding...

My note really wasn't intented agressive; it must be because of the large font I used. All I intented to say was that for audio only, trackers rule big time (altho it must be said that they lack stuff like eq's, volume mixers etc.) and that Making Waves is really a sad program if you look at how simple it is programmed. Fortunately, Fast Tracker for Windows is on the way and it should kick Making Waves and Cubase for audio only (and support all soundcards of course)... And you didn't have to rub it in that I had no sex since... er... good question... when did I have sex for the last time? Well now apalogize Kulo...

Btw, do you *really* want to know my e-mail address?

Message 16/34             26-Mar-98  @  11:53 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

phaseloc

Sequencing tips, like how to control perameters of
your synth from your sequencer, filters and such, 16 and
32 note sweeps things like that.

Message 17/34             27-Mar-98  @  02:56 AM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

A public domain patch and sample bank, listed by model

Message 18/34             27-Mar-98  @  03:05 AM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

self_osc

A public domain patch and sample bank, listed by manufacturer
and model, and with comments of the programmer/samplist
with tips of how to get this kind of sound. Then all of us
that loves sound dessign can interact with others who
likes the same tasks.
This thing would be a very didactic form of learn about
programming and everybody will access to know the
REAL power of some machines underestimated because
200 sucking factory presets.

Dan

Also the chat search facility would be cool

Message 19/34             27-Mar-98  @  04:17 AM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

Avene

Wow, is there a 400 available now? But damn, that 1100mhz chip sounds alright. One of them and an Ultrawide scsi setup would really rip.

Another way of doing the interview thing would be to send an email with a load of questions that they can respond to and send back.

Message 20/34             27-Mar-98  @  04:17 AM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

Avene

Wow, is there a 400 available now? But damn, that 1100mhz chip sounds alright. One of them and an Ultrawide scsi setup would really rip.

Another way of doing the interview thing would be to send an email with a load of questions that they can respond to and send back.

Message 21/34             27-Mar-98  @  07:13 AM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

Hilevelt

Whew, great rant, Kilo. A buddy's got a pretty simple setup: sp-12, tb-303, Korg DSS-1, and an Apple IIc. He monitors with headphones 'cause he doesn't WANT to care about the recording quality, and honestly, he puts out more material and works with cooler names than anyone I know.

Message 22/34             27-Mar-98  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

kilo

1. i aplogise to breakfuck.....

2. yup.... funny how often people with the least gear are doing the most work

Ok..... I've added a qualifier to the classifieds, so tyhat when you load the page it loads only ad's for the last 30 days.... but you can choose to look further back........ I'll add a search facility to the whole chat area database (believe me it's already thousands of entries......

The sample patch database seems good...... but........ I would have to recieve all the data, and add it to the system manually.... now problem is time..... so I could design one with a pssword..... so people can join up and then be able to upload patches to the database...... but that is a big risk to server security........

It's all down to money...... I'm already going to have to get rid of the Readers demo's...got to cut it down to like only one per week...... cos of data storage space...... or I'll have thttp fake stream it......
and i have to move the site to the US as well, cos there i9s some real cheap server space there..... but the connectivity is excellent tho....

Message 23/34             27-Mar-98  @  07:50 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

Blunted

Hey Kilo, or anybody out there...How come I haven't heard
anybody talk about an alpha running on NT?? doesn't 64bit
running at 600mhz sound nummy? I might be presented with
the oportunity to get my hands on an alpha...um and I'm
getting 128 megs of ram.....one of these systems...with 64
megs starts at 2500 american dollars...Thoughts?????

Message 24/34             27-Mar-98  @  09:28 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

kilo

well....... if your s/w runs fine on less....... could be a waste of dosh...... i think once the yamaha stuff becomes the norm..... then why bother... a P200 or a P2-233 should be enuff.... (mind you we always want more huh??

as to the Patch thing..... WE CAN add it....... I can create a specail section for uploading patches, classifiable by make and model..... however.... 2 things......we dont obviously want user mr wanka uploading porno shots, or virus etc....... so I can either :

restrict the upload file size.......

make it a closed user group......you'd have to join and apply for a code to enter the area...it'd be like a private synth users intranet...... what would be best..... i'd prefer NOT to have to hand out passwords...... but.. it could be very interesting......

Message 25/34             29-Mar-98  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

Avene

Kilo, if you don't mind me asking, how much space does this site use anyway?

Message 26/34             29-Mar-98  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

YO KILO

How about a section on what filters are, and do we use them to get the sound/result we require.

E.G what does a LFO or DFO do, or how do we filter out the hi hats form a bass sample.

I think that I and many other people would find this very useful.

THANKS & PEACE

JAY

Message 27/34             30-Mar-98  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

kilo

site uses about 150 mb right now...... heh heh.......that's gonna be some caos soon, cos I have to split the site between 3 servers...... I for the site/stateside....(it'll be very fast for you staeside and others..... even in the uk, you might see an improvement.....)

RA is going to be split between a server here and in the states..... and the demo downloads are gonna have to be severly 'thinnned-out' !!....... the larger progs are gonna have to be linked to their manufactururs download ftp url's........ I do want o upgrade alot of the site, including the synth section, sampler section, drums section, mixer section, fx section, and add a dat section....+ upgrade the pc section with stuff on card installs... etc......oh G-o-d !!..... more bloody work !!!

Message 28/34             30-Mar-98  @  12:29 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

ki303

Well,I still think this site is pretty zippy compared to a lot of em out there..hello Sonic!

Message 29/34             30-Mar-98  @  01:08 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

KILO

OH YES MISSIS..... AND NOW....DANCETECH PROUDLY PRESENTS....AHEM....... you can now search all the technical threads going back to the year dot.....

Message 30/34             30-Mar-98  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

Trigger

This site is tops and thanks for the info on the 26th about PCs etc. There are loads of people who would probably find that stuff of interest. I don't know if most of your 'listeners' are dead techy and know it all already but I know I've picked up a lot of good info over the last few days. Cheers.

Message 31/34             31-Mar-98  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

Deva

This site is the busy biz! Day by day it's shapin' up better and better. So many good ideas up above
- really like the Producer interview idea. It would be sooo useful to hear RA tracks with an in depth breakdown of how it was done (without giving away too many secrets). More stuff on mixing especially creating space and depth - you know RSS without the two grand tag) Anyway Kilo top
****ing A to you mate

Message 32/34             31-Mar-98  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

DIGS

HEY KILO,
The technical stuff on your site is a God send.
Anything you do that is technically oriented would
be x-tra nice! I dont know how,but it seems with all
the advertising and tech support and cheerleading:-)
you do for the industry they should be coming through
for you in a big way!!! For a kid that just wants
people to hear what I hear,your info is worth $$$$.
Dont go away,you are ONE OF A KIND in this I barely
know what the fuck I'm talking about,but I'm going
to tell you what to do kind of industry.
PEACE DIGS

Message 33/34             01-Apr-98  @  09:57 AM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

kilo

yeah well, one thing is that I'd like to be able to sell the GOOD stuff at wicked deals...... including mail order overseas for the "Where the fuck can I get it" type people.... anyway.... I'm off home soon..... and then I'll have lots more time to get this site up....... i've started secretly building an old analog section...... it's gonna have all the old Roland, Korg, Sequential, Moog, Arppe etc synth in it with basic details...... but hopefully, it'll provide the specs.... like say that a Jupiter-4 is only single oscillator and not too fat..... etc.... and then when users start to add comments, it'll give more and more info........ then I can also start to call in all the gear-review-loan promises I've been given by the manufacturers....... cheers fer the props tho peeps..... It's a labour of love huh?.......

Message 34/34             01-Apr-98  @  10:32 AM   -   RE: what new features for dancetech ???...

sedwards

Kilo,

Some dude said a while back somewhere (I can't remember if you replied sorry) that you should review AXS (Another Xperimental Synth). Its a softsynth by Newstyle and can be found at
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~gdehaan/

It basically emulates an old analogue synth. Got 8 channels or banks or whatever plus a built in tracker/sequencer and you can load your own wavs as well. Writes output to WAV in the registered version (i think its about $50 US)

Really is quite shit hot this one except it runs in a DOS environment so you can't really run anything else at the same time. Anyways check it out.

Also, I think it'd be a bit of a shame if the demo's section has to get chopped down to size but thats understandable. Keep up the outstanding job anyways, over.

Viewing all 34 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 34 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)